• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Troops Hit Taliban Position with M777

Way to get an old Redleg's blood rushing!

I always liked being behind the gun and watching those big ol' boolits go down range, but most of my time was as a FIST leader.

Right after I finished inprocessing with 1/11 ACR in Fulda, we went to Vilseck and drew the first five M981 FISTVs in Europe. Since I was fresh out of FAOBC, I was dubbed the subject matter expert and wound up teaching all four teams and the squadron FSO.

Trivia: what's the elevation at which low angle fire becomes high angle fire?

My dad told me it was 45 degrees (which was also the angle at which the gun could shoot farthest). Adjusting the vertical angle was part of "laying" the piece, which, if I recall correctly, had five steps.

Trivia question for you: What was the major difference between WWI and WWII American artillery pieces? (Hint: It facilitated high-angle firing.)

Well, the Germans also say "Die Artillerie kennt weder Freund noch Feind, nur lohnende Ziele". - "artillery knows no friend nor foe, just valuable targets".

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

that the M777 system was built with a lot of Titanium and is 2-3 tons lighter than the M198.

That it does, however ATACS (not the camo) is known in some circles to be a blunder of spending. Durings its infancy the house appropriations commitee decided that the heavy m198s were too much of a burden for the fleet of 5-ton trucks still in use. "we must fund development of a lighter gun!"

Literally down the hall another commitee was working out the details for a bigger truck to solve the same problem. "This 7-ton MTVR should haul those trusty 155's with ease!" [rofl][hmmm]

Specifically?

Its 4P1 just south of Panmunjom, the previous direct support artillery firebase for the area. The place is completely different now.

I didn't take this photo but spent time there. Looking above the guy on the left is a bunker in the hillside. That was my home for a month at a time on a few occasions. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trivia: what's the elevation at which low angle fire becomes high angle fire?

As I recall, 800 mils.

My dad told me it was 45 degrees (which was also the angle at which the gun could shoot farthest).

Our insructor at Sill let us play around with this one for about a half hour, coming up with answers and trying to justify them. None of us got it correct.

The answer is: High angle fire begins at the point where an increase in tube elevation results in a decrease in range.

It's not 45 degrees (800 mils), because the projectile path is not a parabola. As it loses velocity due to aerodynamic drag, it drops faster. The answer is also mission specific, depending on atmospheric conditions, difference in elevation between gun and target, etc.

Adjustments in degrees! Good heavens! What's this world coming to?

As both a former 13F and a former infantryman, I must protest.

Back
Top Bottom