• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tripod ball head?

I'm looking to setup a tripod to shoot from. Being that this setup will be used for hunting (small caliber, distances inside 200 yards), weight and ease of deployment are factors to consider (and cost). This will likely involve setting up on uneven terrain, so the ability for some canting is also a requirement.

For a tripod, I'm thinking the SLIK 700DX should work. What I need to decide is what type of tripod mount to use. Ball head mounts seem to be most popular for this purpose, but they vary from $30 to $300+. The "Reaper Rail" from Kopfjager Industries looks like a good solution, as a buy once, cry once, option. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Like to see the set up, these things going to hold up to recoil and weight of a gun?

I use an Arca Swiss Monoball P0 on top of a Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripod for my camera. I’ve never tried shooting from it, so I’ve got no idea how a monoball would do for that purpose.

Still no range time with it yet. I've fitted the Magpul M-LOK Tripod adapter, and a somewhat hefty thermal scope, to an AR9-style pistol. The grip mount has no problem holding that setup in place. My intent with this configuration is to keep the firearm close to ready while I scan for targets with a monocular, and being able to easily manipulate it while wearing bulky insulated gloves. It's also a very simple task to mount the firearm into the quick release mount, from a sling carry position.

Here's an article that goes over the basic setup I've got:

Magpul M-LOK Tripod Adapter Review

Example of grip mount in use

View: https://youtu.be/67aVxXVIC8Y

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom