Trip to the GunStore in Las Vegas

I was out at CES last week and a buddy and I decided to take a trip to the infamous GunStore. http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com.

Avoid it. [thinking]

Walked in, signed the legal forms and decide to shoot a FA MP-5. The cost was $50 for the rental and 2 25 round mags, and $25 for each additional 25 rnd mag. Seemed high, but it was LV, and I figured I'd start out shooting 3 rnd bursts, see how I could control it, then finish with an almost full mag dump, so I got 4 mags and a nice OBL target. [smile]

We get our eyes and ears, and a guy comes over with the MP5 and walks us into the indoor range. It's 4 stalls, very cramped and not very well lit. At least the ventilation was good. The guy takes my target and hangs it upside down and sends it down range about 10 ft. Then he asks for my mags and sets the gun up. Not a word on how worked, how to use it, safety rules, nothing. He held the gun in position and waited until I was all ready to shoot before letting go. I pushed it away from me a little, keeping it level and pointed down range to check to make sure the safety was off and to see if it was burst or FA and and he screams "Don't f*** with it, just shoot it!!" Kind of pissed me off, but I'm sure they get their share of drunk yahoos, so I just let it slide.

I pull slow and release to get a feel for how many time it would cycle with a .5 second squeeze. Maybe 3, so I check where they hit and do it again. He yells "Longer Bursts!!!" So I do it again, maybe 4 this time. "Longer f***ing Bursts or it will jam!!!" Huh? I'm not going to argue, so I do ten or so until the mag is empty. I check the chamber and go to take out the mag, and he grabs the thing from me and says "I told you not to f*** with it!!".

Now I'm really pissed and just wait for him to set it up and dump the whole mag 3 more times until I'm out. Say thanks, toss my target in the trash and let my buddy shoot. He has never shot before, so he was really intimidated by the whole thing. My buddy tried to put the safety on before the guy took it back, and gets the "If you f*** with it and it breaks, you owe us $20K".

I was really pissed, apologized to my friend since it was my idea and we just left. Very, very disappointing experience. The gun itself was a piece of shit that was beat to hell. Very loose and all worn. To be expected I guess. Like I said, I am sure they get some real winners in there, but he really didnt need to be such an a$$hole from the get go.

-slim

See this post http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52530 and #10 for my opinions on the place. I agree with the condition of the stuff, the whole setup and the lack of handholding, that last one being good for me. Anyhow, the guys that worked with me (I had two because I did a package deal and it was not busy) were really good. One's name was Tom and he knew so much about these guns it was insane. History, slight variations in mfg from one country to another, etc.

As for why they didn't want you to do bursts (although they let me after they knew I figured it out) was the sears on these things are shot to hell. I had the grease gun and it didn't stop firing when I let up. It was one of the first ones I tried and when I said "now I know why you want me to just dump the mag" he just nodded and said they will also jam when you let up on them so don't bring the weapon up until you know it is done. But he didn't treat me like a screw ball, then again it was 9AM and later in the day.

That is really sad that these guns are in such questionable condition as to be potentially unsafe. That sounds like an accident ready to happen.

I have been there a couple of times without issue and had a good time. I always took the shoot more, shoot faster! thing as buy more ammo and spend more money and related to turn over.

An mp5 is a closed bolt gun. If the gun in such bad condition that it is essentially an open bolt gun is extremely concearning to me and sounds so unsafe as to be scary. Sounds like the place is, unfortunately, in for a tragic mishap..

Back
Top Bottom