Trijicon Tri-Power vs. Eotech 5 series?

Subject line pretty much says it all. Anyone tried both? On paper, lots of good things to say about the Trijicon but looking for some real world opinions from the group.

As always,

Thanks,

Steve

I had the benefit of generous friends who gladly handed me four different optics to try on my SOCOM-16 a couple of years ago. One was a magnified optic, (Nikon scout scope), so I'll leave it out of this discussion in the interest of brevity.

I tested: Eotech, Aimpoint Comp M2 and Trijicon Tripower. When all was said and done, I spent my money on what I felt for me personally was the clear choice - Trijicon Tripower. Here's why:

I found the Eotech to be "too busy" for my taste and that the sight tended to cover targets at extended ranges and wash out in bright conditions. For my SOCOM anyway - the rail became so hot, as to wash out the reticle and during a 500-round session - it failed completely. Despite some great reviews by folks actually using this sight in harms way, I had doubts about the robustness of the sight and know myself well enough to fear trashing a $500.00 sight.

The Aimpoint Comp M2 would have been my choice had the Tripower not existed, but even that had drawbacks for me. First, forget using this sight in bad weather. I tested it in a light snowstorm and it became nearly impossible to use once the lens got damp, (and I mean barely damp). I found myself continually wiping the lens down in order to use it - perhaps there's a filter I don't know about which will help...On a bright sunny day, I found the Aimpoint prone to wash on lighter backgrounds, (despite trying to adjust the brightness) and also found it had a habit of mirage and doubling in bright conditions. I was sometimes finding myself needing to determine which dot exactly was the one on target. And for even minimal precision shooting at extended ranges - forget it. It will be minute of man I suppose at 200-yards, but the dot covered my 200 yard targets. For CQB use, it would be fine - outside of that, I found it to me not for me.

The Trijicon Tripower - though not perfect - settled a lot of issues I had with the Eotech and Aimpoint. The chevron reticle is simply sublime. The chevron tip is great for precision shooting and the rest of the chevron can be used for hold over and cover for battle sight zero. The brightness adjustment was well within range for settling mirage and the sight did not wash out. It also has three sources of power, (four if you can find the mini cylumes) - Tritium, (which is "okay" - better than nothing), batteries and available light. The only negatives I could find were lack of flip-ups, no AA battery feature, (it comes with 2 sets of lithiums) and no positive "clicks" for adjustment. None of the negatives were enough to even slightly negate what a positive sight this is for my purposes.

Other than that, the Trijicon Tripower is as close to perfect for me as an electronic sight can get....Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write that up. Very, very helpful real world experience. Exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

Thanks again,

Steve

I've tried neither one yet. I only know what I know from reading a ton of EoTech reviews in the different gun mags, and of course have an idea of at least what the sight picture/reticle situation is with each type from color published and on-line photos.

I've made the (probably not too bright) assumption that the EoTech's gotta be pretty darn good based on what I've read and just the sheer number of them I see on AR's out there. I've read what I can find on the Tri-Power, like the concept and was probing for a little more info on the Trijicon becuase there seems to be less info on them and I see them on fewer guns, although that is changing. One NES shooter has already kindly offered to let me try his EoTech before I buy. Legitimate class acts once again on this forum.

Steve

Steve have you had a chance to try each of them?

Steve - I'll find the link, but can tell you some of what I've read. SOCOM has recalled all Eotech units in service. There have been reports of electronic failures. One can't condemn Eotech necessarily - feces occurs, but it may speak to a drop in Eotech QC, or their subcontractors - possibly due to high demand....

**EDIT** Looks like the issue may have been resolved by now...

The SOPMOD Program Management Office (PMO) is issuing this notice to all
potential users of the EOTech SU-231/PEQ Reflex Sight, NSN 1240-01-533-0941,
also known as the holographic weapon sight.

1. It was recently brought to the attention of the SOPMOD PMO that there
exists the possibility that the SU-231/PEQ Reflex Sight made by EOTech is
susceptible to failure characterized by the sight shutting off in the middle
of weapon fire.

2. The failure is caused by faulty battery contacts that were incorporated
by EOTech without government concurrence. (See attached image). These
faulty battery contacts are susceptible to wear due to shock while the
weapon is firing. As a result, the batteries may lose contact, causing the
sight to shut off.

3. EOTech has qualified a new supplier of these battery contacts and the
SOPMOD PMO is currently validating this new configuration through testing.
By mid April 2008, this process should be complete. At that time, SOPMOD
will institute a 100 percent replacement of the SU-231/PEQs that have
already been fielded. Maintenance Contact Teams will travel to field units
to either swap out the sights with replacements or conduct on-site field
repairs. As an interim solution, the SOPMOD PMO is currently testing a
field replaceable grommet that will mitigate the risk of failure. Pending
test results, these grommets will be shipped as part of a field replacement
kits to units that have been issued the SU-231/PEQ.

4. The SOPMOD PMO has ordered a halt on any further fielding of this item
until sufficient testing has been performed on sights with the incorporated
part upgrade. For those field units that have already received the
SU-231/PEQ, the SOPMOD PMO strongly recommends not using those sights until
they can be replaced or repaired.

Last edited:
I'll add what I can.

I have an Eotech 512 Rev A65 on my AR and love it. I've used an AR which had an Aimpoint Comp M2 and it was nice... but not my preference. For some reason I liked the Eotech's reticle compared to the Aimpoint's.

Now, I haven't used either in inclement weather so I can't speak to their performance in those conditions. However I HAVE read plenty that say neither fair too well once rain drops get onto the lenses... The Eotech may win there, though, since it's a holographic heads up display... and if there is a clear area that doesn't have rain drops on it, the reticle will still be functional and accurate.

I've only held an AR with a Tri-power on it... never fired it. Just looking through the Tri-power, though, I can see why people like the chevron reticle. I actually liked it. The reticle is also VERY clear and crisp. I couldn't see the reticle when it was just in the tritium mode (as I believe it's only used in complete darkness)... I had to turn on the battery power. Admittedly, I didn't spend much time with it at all and would definitely have liked to.

Honestly... All three are used by LEO/Mil and have been combat tested. And each one is different enough from the other two. So go and take people up on their offers to let you try them out. You'll be able to weed at least one of the three out of the running, simply by test driving them. Going on features alone... if you're going to be using the rifle in inclement weather... I'd suggest the Trijicon first, then the Eotech. But if that's not such a big factor... then it's really just about test driving them and seeing which you prefer.

You're welcome to test drive my AR with Eotech anytime if you want.

I'll add what I can.

I have an Eotech 512 Rev A65 on my AR and love it. I've used an AR which had an Aimpoint Comp M2 and it was nice... but not my preference. For some reason I liked the Eotech's reticle compared to the Aimpoint's.

Now, I haven't used either in inclement weather so I can't speak to their performance in those conditions. However I HAVE read plenty that say neither fair too well once rain drops get onto the lenses... The Eotech may win there, though, since it's a holographic heads up display... and if there is a clear area that doesn't have rain drops on it, the reticle will still be functional and accurate.

I've only held an AR with a Tri-power on it... never fired it. Just looking through the Tri-power, though, I can see why people like the chevron reticle. I actually liked it. The reticle is also VERY clear and crisp. I couldn't see the reticle when it was just in the tritium mode (as I believe it's only used in complete darkness)... I had to turn on the battery power. Admittedly, I didn't spend much time with it at all and would definitely have liked to.

Honestly... All three are used by LEO/Mil and have been combat tested. And each one is different enough from the other two. So go and take people up on their offers to let you try them out. You'll be able to weed at least one of the three out of the running, simply by test driving them. Going on features alone... if you're going to be using the rifle in inclement weather... I'd suggest the Trijicon first, then the Eotech. But if that's not such a big factor... then it's really just about test driving them and seeing which you prefer.

You're welcome to test drive my AR with Eotech anytime if you want.

Excellent points - especially trying before you buy. Ozman, mine is on a Troy MCS SOCOM-16, so if you're ever out this way and want to give it a whirl, let me know. Bring some 7.62 and have at it... [smile]

You guys rock with the offers of trying these out before I buy. The info/feedback is also especially helpful and well thought out.

I really do appreciate it.

Steve

I have to put a word in for the Leupold CQ/T Mark IV. This scope works like a dot scope at 1X but can can be dialed up to 3X for longer shots. I found that head shots on an IPSC target at 200 yds were no problem and I have shot 2.25 in five shot groups at 300 yds.

One of the advantages of this sight is that it is an illuminated reticle, not a dot scope. With the power on in low light condition, the circle/dot reticle is gold; in sunlight it is black. With no power you still get the black reticle, so a power failure will not render the sight inoperative. I liked this sight so well I bought two.

I run an Eotech A65 on my .50Beowulf and have had no problems whatsoever with it, even with the stout recoil. I bagged a buck up north last year with it too and it faired very well in inclimate weather. I do wish I had one of those flip to the side magnifiers though in a way, as having a bit of mag on it would be good to pick out antlers in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom