Trijicon Reflex or Eotech Optics??? What is your choice for AR Platform?

What is your choice of weapon sight? Maybe you prefer something other than a Holographic sight.
Tell what are the advantages and disadvantages

I use an EOTech on my 10.5" CQB upper and run an ACOG on my 20" AR. I haven't tried a Reflex (well i've looked through one) but their basic tritium/fiber optic operation is the same as an ACOG. I like that you don't have to worry about batteries but the tritium/fiber illumination leaves alot to be desired in the dark or at dusk especially if you're shooting from a dark area into an illuminated one. There are ways to increase the brightness of the optic but this requires using a cyalume light source to augment the tritium and is kinda clunky. There is a model of the reflex that will use the mini cyalume glow sticks (has a little hole in the optic to put them in) rather than taping one to the optic. Again I like the idea but now I have to carry little lightsticks rather than little batteries to make my optic usable. Not so much of an issue if you're operating inside of a rave concert but its a pain otherwise.

So I guess after all that my choice would be an EOTech for a normal CQB/home defense AR.

Aimpint.
Reasons:
Much longer battery life - I live mine ON all the time. With 2 series the battery lasts at least a year. With 4/Micro series it's about 5 years for a single battery.
More robust - no issues with battery compartments.
No issues with overtightening the Aimpoint's QRP mount.

I would definitely NOT recommend Trijicon Reflex. Abomb pointed out all of its downsides. It's an old system and the "not having to worry about batteries" argument no longer holds water to me. The ACOGs are nice but they are a specialized sight that requires training. Not something I would put on a general purpose AR.

Abomb pointed out the one valid disadvantage of the Trijicon reflex. If you shoot from a dark place into a bright light your reticle will be dim. So you should ask yourself in what types of scenarios you'd want to use the sights... If you are sniping from a dark room into a bright sunshine Trijicon reflex is not for you. For any scenario where the ambient light of your position and your target is similar, then the reflex is superior in many ways to the EOTech .

I own the Trijicon RX30 and have used a few different EOTech sights.

But do not believe me. Come to a NES shoot and check out both. Make your own conclusions.

Last edited:
for me it is depend on what you have in your wallet. Trijicon is for medium to long distance shooting. Eotech is for CQB style. Also trijicon doesn't require battery but eotech does. ( For eotech you should get Eotech 552 which using double A battery pretty cheap you can get it anywhere. Instead using 551 and others which required N battery which cost more money......Soon i will have trijicon acog and brand new eotech 552/65A-1 up for sale.
It is depend on you.
trijicon Acog the mininum's cost is $900 - $1632
Eotech the mininum's cost is $350 - $650

I think he is asking the differance between a eotech and trijicons reflex sight , not the acog , i believe you can get the reflex for under $300
for me it is depend on what you have in your wallet. Trijicon is for medium to long distance shooting. Eotech is for CQB style. Also trijicon doesn't require battery but eotech does. ( For eotech you should get Eotech 552 which using double A battery pretty cheap you can get it anywhere. Instead using 551 and others which required N battery which cost more money......Soon i will have trijicon acog and brand new eotech 552/65A-1 up for sale.
It is depend on you.
trijicon Acog the mininum's cost is $900 - $1632
Eotech the mininum's cost is $350 - $650

EOtech. Its a more durable sight. You can change the brightness, vs how ever much light is picked up by the fiber optics. The reticule is faster to acquire. The only down side is you have to replace the batteries occasionally. The only professionals that use the older Trijicon Reflex sights are some small PDs. I would avoid Aimpoint, Ive seen too many of them fail, or fail me when I actually needed to put rounds down range. The EOtech holds its zero much better than the Aimpoint. EOtech is what I use, I know its going to work when I need it.

I think he is asking the differance between a eotech and trijicons reflex sight , not the acog , i believe you can get the reflex for under $300

His experience is also solely with airsoft.

Unless you're planning on using this for LE or military work, you don't need NV capability... The 512 does everything the higher-end EOTechs do at the lowest price.

Personally I like the trijicon triplex. The reticle is easier for me to see than that of the Eotech. Cheaper, smaller than the ACOG but it is larger than a reflex. The ability for illumination is cool but the batteries don't last.

I have to ut a plug in for the Leupold CQ/T Mark IV sight. This sight isn't cheap at about $800 but it offers a lot. It uses an illuminated circle dot reticle that functions as a dot scope at 1x but also can be dialed up to 3x for longer distances. The illuminated reticle is unique in that it appears black in direct sunlight and gold in lower light conditions and has several intensity settings for low light. This sight uses an AA battery and battery life isn't all that great; certainly not comparable to the Aim Point. The major advantage over the Aim Point is that the illuminated reticle will appear as black with no power, i.e. it will always work, even without power. Other advantages are ther fact that the sight is built to military specs and is quite rugged, and that it comes with a mount for the AR. I have been using one for several years with no complaints.

My only experience is w/ the eotech, but I love mine. takes AA batteries, life seems pretty good, great sight picture, extremely easy to use only down side is it took a while to zero in.

I like eotech for a couple reasons they are easy to mount, easy to sight in, easy to change batteries. All so the you can find most of the non night vision comp. models for around $400 or less. The other thing, and I do not know if this has worked out for any one else but I can use my back up sights by looking through the Eotech. don't get me wrong I would love to have a Trijicon but the price is alittle steep for my blood. I all so have a Aimpoint comp ML3 which I all so think is a great choice.

Badluck

Between the comp ML3 and Eotech, what do you like more? It seems like the Eotech would be a better reflex sight, especially for closer ranges, but people seem to rave about the aimpoints.

Mike

I recently got an Eotech, I love it. I'm yet to shoot at any distance with it, but at 25yrds its dead on. Easy to mount and looks great too.

His experience is also solely with airsoft.

Unless you're planning on using this for LE or military work, you don't need NV capability... The 512 does everything the higher-end EOTechs do at the lowest price.

WOW, that's a zinger and a half. I agree, 512 suites all my needs and it runs relatively cheaper then the rest of the line. Plus I like that it runs on AA's, easier to find in a pinch.

Last edited:
Between the comp ML3 and Eotech, what do you like more? It seems like the Eotech would be a better reflex sight, especially for closer ranges, but people seem to rave about the aimpoints.

Mike

I prefer the Eotech for most of the shooting I do with my AR is close range, "Running and Gunning" type of stuff. My ML3 is mounted with a Larue mount and just sits a little high for me. I prefer the more compact design of the Eotech. Do not get me wrong the Aimpoint is quality stuff just for me and the type of shooting I engage in the Eotech make more sense. I plan on running Eotech on my next two AR builds, Probally a 512, I have a 511 on my .22 AR and my only complaint is that it does not run on AA batteries.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom