• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Triggers: Help

Okay. So I'm in the process of building the AR I posted about before.

Originally, my choice for a trigger was a drop in timney. As we all know here, I'm pretty anal, I ask a lot of questions, and I don't make choices quickly. Before I was going to pull the trigger (pun intended) on buying the timney, I wanted to research one more thing....and I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier: Is the trigger going to hold up. 1/2 the people that had one in my days of forum and review research said it's perfectly fine....a few extra said ehh....but then we had about 1/4 of them who said this trigger is in no way shape or form even slightly combat ready....this got me nervous. Did more research. Well it makes sense, match type triggers usually are a bit sensitive, but I figured with a name like timney, it would be at least functional in a high stress enviornment (IE: combat scenario, training, hard shooting, whatever). Apparently, the real shooters (not the bench rest heros), have some serious issues with it in such instances, especially in demading training related stuff. Most of them ended up recommending STANDARD MIL-SPEC (whoa) or the gisselle combat.

Thoughts? I'm not trying to answer my own question here, I've already been turned off on the timney, and I don't feel like cleaning a skeletonized trigger either.

Gisselle combat single stage or tuned mil-spec? I'm not talking crazy accuracy driven performance here, I'm looking for 100% reliability under all conditions. Will I shoot it in combat? Probably not. Am I going to compromise for anything less than 100% perfect and the best, **** no, this gun is going to be the tops from front to back. I just never thought 100% reliability would honestly mean going with a 60$ mil trigger, but finding reviews on the gisselle in enviornments other than match shoots are tough to come by.

Help.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Gisselle triggers.

I personally have a RRA 2 stage (which didn't get the best reviews, but not bad either)

My thought is that you have to pick which you would rather have: a 100% reliable, never-going-to-break trigger, or something with a nice, crisp, fancy feel and name.

That should be your deciding factor. If the feel, pull, name, and fanciness is what you're after, your answer is Gisselle. If you want something to beat the everliving shit out of, and have it work 100% of the time, get a standard mil-spec trigger with no fancy-schmancy options.

reliability tends to come from the most simple design/function.....I have a polytech AK that I have shot the liveing daylights out of it....it keeps goin going going.
I think its hard to balance between a battle ready weapon, range plinker, target gun.....

I have had good luck with the JP trigger. It is a good deal for a little over $100 and their anti walk pins are downright cheap. For my dedicated 22 LR AR I went with a trigger from Accuracy Speaks which gives you a crisp 4 lb trigger with a stock power hammer spring. This is important with rimfire ammo as it is harder to light off than centerfire 223. The lighter hammer springs in many after market triggers can lead to FTFs with rimfire ammo. A real good idea would be to try before you buy.

Geiselle is excellent and you may also want to check out the Wilson Combat triggers and I believe it is American Gold triggers.

Back
Top Bottom