Triggers for AR

Fixxah

NES Member
Aside from replacing the trigger outright, is there a way to use a super fine diamond stone to get rid of the raspy feel when I squeeze the trigger? I may sacrifice one as an experiment but thought I would ask if anyone had any tricks they want to share.

I replaced the 10+ lb. that came with my gun with a DPMS and while it is lighter I can't say it is that smooth. Right before the hammer falls there is a metallic sound where it seems to hang up.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

A very light stoning to remove burrs may be OK, but no more! The heat treating on Milspec parts is very shallow and it's easy to get to the softer metal. The trigger may feel great to start with but will quickly "go away" and need replacing.

A very light stoning to remove burrs may be OK, but no more! The heat treating on Milspec parts is very shallow and it's easy to get to the softer metal. The trigger may feel great to start with but will quickly "go away" and need replacing.
True
After removal of any machineing burrs, this works well
http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm
If you don't like the results, you only need to replace two cheap springs.
I did this spring modification to one of my rifles. It made a big difference in the trigger.

True
After removal of any machineing burrs, this works well
http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm
If you don't like the results, you only need to replace two cheap springs.
I did this spring modification to one of my rifles. It made a big difference in the trigger.
+1

This isn't going to create a $200-500 match trigger, but I've done it to mine and I am very pleased with the results... Smooth, short and soft pull now and it shows in the grouping/accuracy of the rifle...

Thanks a lot guys. I will try the spring trick on another lower.

The DPMS "went away" after I fired the first full magazine.

The face of the trigger had an indent in it, almost like they forgot to harden it.

I cleaned it up nicely and it is really smooth. I cut and bent the springs on my other lower and the once super heavy trigger is like silk. That one is mil-spec from Remsport and I don't know the maker. I am going to switch triggers at the range next time I go to see which one I like best. The springs will be swapped out as well just in case it doesn't work as advertised.

Cutting the right leg of the hammer spring makes it close to half the tension of what it once was IMHO, although I have no scale to verify this.

Last edited:
My trigger is junk. The DPMS I have installed cannot have been hardened. Five rounds and I could feel it going away. I cut and bent the springs at the range. That helped but I am putting the mil-spec abck in with the spring job.

My trigger is junk. The DPMS I have installed cannot have been hardened. Five rounds and I could feel it going away. I cut and bent the springs at the range. That helped but I am putting the mil-spec abck in with the spring job.
5 rounds?

I have to throw a flag on the field...

The most 5 rounds of fire did to the metal was scrap away a little gunk/oil that was on there... No significant change in shape is going to occur in that time unless you intentionally shaped one of the surfaces into a rasp...

I've done this job to 3 different brands of LPK (including DPMS) and all have now seen 100's of rounds, 2 have seen near 1000 without issues.

When you say "going away", what are you feeling?

Nice smooth squeeze of the trigger and it stays that way for a few rounds the it gets a noticeable stop spot which is a groove in the face of the trigger where it locks the hammer. It gets progressively worse as you go along. There is a noticeable divot when you remove it. My guess is that it was never hardened at the factory.

The trigger that came with the gun (Stag I think) never had this problem, my only issue with it was the 10+ lb. trigger pull which I fixed by doing the mods suggested earlier. I am going to put that one back in and see if I can send the other one (DPMS) back to where I bought it and have the shop deal with DPMS over it. I realize this may be a waste of time but I want to try. The original mil-spec had over 1,500 rounds fired and always felt smooth, it was just too heavy for my taste.

If you want to see the damage from so few rounds, send me your addy and I will mail it to you so you can see for yourself.

Last edited:
It sounds like the groove may have been in there before and that it may have been covered with debris from finishing or something. Even a non-hardened part shouldn't do that after 5 rounds... I suspect it was pre-existing.

I had a groove after the first trip to the range and used a red DMT diamond hone to remove any mark on the face and believe me it was not there when I put it back in. I talked to the shop owner and he is going to call DPMS and see if we can get this straightened out.

Gimmie a call mr Fixxah. I have a couple new triggers here you can try out. And if you need some small parts let me know.
I can't see the pics for whatever reason, not sure what you need.

DPMS replacing the bad parts under warranty. Nice to know even the little things are taken care of by Acme.Armament.

I decided not to modify a stock AR trigger because I was worried about the hardness of the parts and the depth of this hardness. I bought a JP trigger and hammer from Brownells for about $160 and also a set of the JP hammer and trigger pins (a super deal at less than $10) and couldn't be happier. A light crisp trigger with overtravel adjustment; just what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom