Trigger suggestions for 22LR AR 15

The title says it. If you were building a dedicated 22LR AR, what trigger would you choose and why? I'm purposely remaining silent regarding the purpose of said AR in order to facilitate open discussion of options.

Just subscribed to this thread. Interested in the answers.

I am building a dedicated .22 upper, and will be using with two lowers to start. One has standard trigger from Anderson lower kit, the other has a stag arm two stage trigger. Will then build dedicated lower for the upper.

I have a Tactical Solutions TL 22 22lr upper. It doesn't play well with my rock river 2 stage trigger.
Does not always want to set the trigger?
Is it the trigger or the upper ? I really have not looked into as I'm just getting back to shooting it.
The current lower I use has a stag LPK that I did the 15min trigger on which help improve the trigger feel.
I'm thinking of a Giselle trigger for my next lower assembly and hope it works with my TL upper.

I bought my upper in 2010 it was cheaper than building at the time. My next 22upper will be a clone to my national match rifle.

I have a Tactical Solutions TL 22 22lr upper. It doesn't play well with my rock river 2 stage trigger.
Does not always want to set the trigger?
Is it the trigger or the upper ? I really have not looked into as I'm just getting back to shooting it.
The current lower I use has a stag LPK that I did the 15min trigger on which help improve the trigger feel.
I'm thinking of a Giselle trigger for my next lower assembly and hope it works with my TL upper.

I bought my upper in 2010 it was cheaper than building at the time. My next 22upper will be a clone to my national match rifle.

Could be the ammo.

Not the ammo, I have a Geiselle SSA in a stag lower and a Palmetto LPK trigger in an Anderson lower, same ammo used, same upper. The SSA trigger fails to reset as well sometimes.

I am using a Hipertrigger in my dedicated AR 22 steel gun. Great 2 lb trigger that is a drop-in, no fitting. Bad news is that this trigger uses extra "booster springs" that increase the hit on the firing pin by 30% and reduce trigger pull weight. The extra spring tension made the gun short stroke so the bolt had to be modified to give it a mechanical advantage over the hammer and stop the short stroking. End result is fantastic but it took a lot of work.

Check out Taccom. They specialize in 22 LR uppers and parts. They have a firing pin that is modified for maximum ignition on 22 rimfire, regardless of the trigger group. Their firing pin also comes with shims so you can adjust its travel to prevent contact with the breech face and dry fire the gun without fear of damage. I have done business with these people in the past; great customer support. I once called them and got the usual recorded message: "We can't come to the phone , leave a message blah blah. I didn't leave a message, hung up and forgot about it. About ten minutes later the owner of the company called me back.

- - - Updated - - -

I am using a Hipertrigger in my dedicated AR 22 steel gun. Great 2 lb trigger that is a drop-in, no fitting. Bad news is that this trigger uses extra "booster springs" that increase the hit on the firing pin by 30% and reduce trigger pull weight. The extra spring tension made the gun short stroke so the bolt had to be modified to give it a mechanical advantage over the hammer and stop the short stroking. End result is fantastic but it took a bit of work.

Check out Taccom. They specialize in 22 LR uppers and parts. They have a firing pin that is modified for maximum ignition on 22 rimfire, regardless of the trigger group. Their firing pin also comes with shims so you can adjust its travel to prevent contact with the breech face and dry fire the gun without fear of damage. I have done business with these people in the past; great customer support. I once called them and got the usual recorded message: "We can't come to the phone , leave a message blah blah. I didn't leave a message, hung up and forgot about it. About ten minutes later the owner of the company called me back.

Not the ammo, I have a Geiselle SSA in a stag lower and a Palmetto LPK trigger in an Anderson lower, same ammo used, same upper. The SSA trigger fails to reset as well sometimes.

Yeah does not matter which ammo. I recently did receive replacement mags from black dog which cured my double feed and jams.

Last edited:
I have a Geissele SSA in my 5.56 AR and I absolutely love it but for me it's a little spendy for my 22lr AR idea. One thing I'm considering is this Velocity Trigger. I like the predictability of two stage triggers but a light one stage trigger might be good for plinking and steel plates. Does anyone have any experience with the Velocity?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/03/jeremy-s/velocity-triggers-drop-in-trigger/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Ruger elite 452 in this

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ruger_Elite_4_5lb_Two_Stage_452_AR15_MSR_Trigger_p/rug-90461.htm

At $115 its better enough than any lower parts kit trigger I have ever experienced to justify the cost. I'm sure there are better triggers out there, but not at this price point.

This is a taccom upper on a registered SBR. I had some feeding problems, but I have worked them out. I have never had a failure to reset the hammer, something that I hear can be an issue with a 22 ar upper.

I'm also curious what people think - building a dedicated 22lr AR for the little lady.

you need to ask yourself, will the little lady be a little pissy cause you built her a "girls" gun?
Also depending on her size you can build something that fits her. Like a A1 length stock and a light upper.

I have Ruger elite 452 in this

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ruger_Elite_4_5lb_Two_Stage_452_AR15_MSR_Trigger_p/rug-90461.htm

At $115 its better enough than any lower parts kit trigger I have ever experienced to justify the cost. I'm sure there are better triggers out there, but not at this price point.

This is a taccom upper on a registered SBR. I had some feeding problems, but I have worked them out. I have never had a failure to reset the hammer, something that I hear can be an issue with a 22 ar upper.

Other than th polymer housing it ships with is it much different than say a RRA 2stg ? joe bob currently has some good prices on most everything. RRA 2 stg LPK is 149$
Thats tough to beat for a complete LPK.

Other than th polymer housing it ships with is it much different than say a RRA 2stg ? joe bob currently has some good prices on most everything. RRA 2 stg LPK is 149$
Thats tough to beat for a complete LPK.

I don't have any experience with a RRA 2 stage. Anyone have one and want to compare?

you need to ask yourself, will the little lady be a little pissy cause you built her a "girls" gun?
Also depending on her size you can build something that fits her. Like a A1 length stock and a light upper.

She LOVES my dad's 16" 22lr AR - I just wanted to build something that looks rad and she can enjoy shooting so she'll be more inclined to join me for range visits. She also doesn't like the scarey black-rifleness, so I'm going to anodize it her favorite color - mint green (upper, lower, and handguard). Should be a real neat looking toy. SBR, 9.2" barrel.

She LOVES my dad's 16" 22lr AR - I just wanted to build something that looks rad and she can enjoy shooting so she'll be more inclined to join me for range visits. She also doesn't like the scarey black-rifleness, so I'm going to anodize it her favorite color - mint green (upper, lower, and handguard). Should be a real neat looking toy. SBR, 9.2" barrel.

You got me sold on SBR..... women are funny and often hard to do things for. My wife gave me the "ohh a 410 is that because I'm a girl" my friend had a AR all done up in pink for his daughter and his daughter said "what just cause I'm a girl you thought I wanted a pink gun" . As for wanting to go with you? That's a tough one. I have 3 guns for my wife she still doesn't really want to go.
My friends daughter customized the gun herself, did a crazy splash paint job with several neon colors. Looks pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom