• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

trigger reset

greencobra

NES Member
Really? Come on, in the heat of the moment, who's going to care about how super your reset is? I see a lot of tactical stuff on YouTube where the instructor is telling me to fire with the reset but I'm thinking who the hell is gonna be thinking about that reset when some ass wipe is shooting at them. I know I won't be. Any thoughts on this?

Shooting like a lot of other things relies upon muscle memory in the moment, (driving's a good example). When I shoot, I align the sights, squeeze the trigger, hold it, re-acquire, re-set, squeeze, hold, repeat as necessary. I'm building the muscle memories. If the SHTF, I'll see what happens...

Shooting like a lot of other things relies upon muscle memory in the moment, (driving's a good example). When I shoot, I align the sights, squeeze the trigger, hold it, re-acquire, re-set, squeeze, hold, repeat as necessary. I'm building the muscle memories. If the SHTF, I'll see what happens...

So you are teaching yourself to shoot slowly for SHTF?

So you are teaching yourself to shoot slowly for SHTF?

I'm training myself to shoot accurately, as quickly as I can.

We just finished our rimfire pins league, I placed third in both revolver and semi-auto this year. This was my third season of rimfire, my first season I placed 7th in semi and 16 in rimfire. I went from averaging more than 3 seconds per pin to just over 1 second per pin.

In ConTact, which is a sort of modified version of IDPA, I generally come in somewhere from 5th to 8th, I still shoot way too slowly there. Not a lot of -3s, (or -5's) but too much time, and a couple too many "no shoots", (including double-taps on them).

Heads up in plates, I do pretty well with rifle and with pistol. Win some, place some, lose some, disgrace myself only when I have issues with my firearm (which I've finally sorted out -- CMMG replaced my ar-22 bolt).

Missing quickly doesn't do much good.

you should be releasing the trigger as soon as it breaks and prepping it so you can break the next shot as soon as the sights realign, you are wasting a tremendous amount of time

So don't miss at speed.

The first (about resetting and squeezing as I re-align, rather than re-aligning and then resetting( is definitely food for thought - thank you.
As for the "don't miss at speed" --- yeah, I know - I'm working on it.

The first (about resetting and squeezing as I re-align, rather than re-aligning and then resetting( is definitely food for thought - thank you.
As for the "don't miss at speed" --- yeah, I know - I'm working on it.
I tried that. Both my Shield, and especially my 226 have a very short trigger reset. There is some merit in that you don't loosen your grip as much, but I keep on forgetting it.

I agree though. Really it is all for fun. The shooting and everything. It would probably mean squat in a self defense situation.
There is so much more tactical self-defense training that would need to be learned and trained than double taps, Mozambique methods and sight alignments in a real world situation that it does not make any difference.

In ConTact, which is a sort of modified version of IDPA, I generally come in somewhere from 5th to 8th, I still shoot way too slowly there. Not a lot of -3s, (or -5's) but too much time, and a couple too many "no shoots", (including double-taps on them).

I want to know more about ConTact, but it's kind of hard to google...

What SuperMoto said. You need to prep the trigger during recoil so that when the sites fall back on your target, you can touch off the next shot if required.

A short reset is helpful in ensuring you don't short stroke the trigger. A clean, solid, reset (and wall prior to the break) is helpful to ensure your "prep" of the trigger doesn't turn into unintentionally releasing the next shot.

Having said that, there's never any reason to rush. Slow is smooth, and smooth ... is fast. I wish I made that up.[wink]

Trigger reset is the fastest and most accurate way to shoot and I don't recommend it. Very controversial as many top instructors like it and many do not. The issue is that under stress there is high likelihood of short stroking the trigger. I prefer to let the trigger run the full extent of its travel with the trigger finger remaining on the trigger throughout. Much less change of short stroke.

Trigger reset is the fastest and most accurate way to shoot and I don't recommend it. Very controversial as many top instructors like it and many do not. The issue is that under stress there is high likelihood of short stroking the trigger. I prefer to let the trigger run the full extent of its travel with the trigger finger remaining on the trigger throughout. Much less change of short stroke.

I agree. Plus using the method you describe works no matter what firearm you are using so having that as muscle memory seems more beneficial, even if it's a couple milliseconds slower.

If you do some Bill Drills slapping the trigger straight back vs. "riding the reset" you'll most likely see no difference. I don't.

OMG what is wrong with you guys - riding the reset is nonsense, particularly for shooting at speed - maybe you should go try out an action shooting sport that requires you to actually go fast.

any time someone on a forum or youtube video starts talking about the intricacies of the reset or related topics I cringe.

squeeze the trigger, hold it, re-acquire, re-set, squeeze, hold, repeat as necessary
so much fail. You need to break that next shot the instant the sights get back on target, not sit there and stare at the sights and squeeze the trigger slowly.

OMG what is wrong with you guys - riding the reset is nonsense, particularly for shooting at speed - maybe you should go try out an action shooting sport that requires you to actually go fast.

any time someone on a forum or youtube video starts talking about the intricacies of the reset or related topics I cringe.

so much fail. You need to break that next shot the instant the sights get back on target, not sit there and stare at the sights and squeeze the trigger slowly.

"so much fail" -- Maybe; I'm learning.

Consider this, rimfire revolver has a max of 6 rounds loaded and ten targets. My first season I placed 16th averaging over 3 seconds per target. This past season, (my 3rd season), I placed 3rd, averaging just over 1 second per target. That includes the mandatory reload, and firing double-action.

Rimfire semi allows 10 round magazines. So, if no misses, no reloads. My first season I placed 7th, this past season I placed 3rd. I went from about 3 seconds to just over 1 second, and here's where I really need to improve. I made the same gains with revolver as I did with semi, and I should have made more with semi because there's no reload required - which means that my shooting needs to improve.

Jerry Miculek is big on trigger reset.

No he isn't. you can see him come way off the trigger in this video @ 1:40
[video=youtube_share;a7eV2JzbvXM]http://youtu.be/a7eV2JzbvXM?t=1m36s[/video]

[video=youtube_share;6_W2w0oBwb8]http://youtu.be/6_W2w0oBwb8?t=26s[/video]

My opinion is that shooting from reset is just a technique to help keep your shots going to roughly the same place if you're shooting fast. I agree that it's an overemphasized element used by some trainers. However if you do all your practice shooting from reset, I'd be willing to bet it would become subconscious to the point that it would be duplicated under stress. Having said that I've never been shot at, nor have I every shot at someone...

My opinion is that shooting from reset is just a technique to help keep your shots going to roughly the same place if you're shooting fast. I agree that it's an overemphasized element used by some trainers. However if you do all your practice shooting from reset, I'd be willing to bet it would become subconscious to the point that it would be duplicated under stress. Having said that I've never been shot at, nor have I every shot at someone...

Reset has nothing to do with shots going roughly the same place when shooting fast.

The FBI has a trigger graph technology, The word is no one has ever hit the reset when shooting fast. This includes tests on world champions

Attachments

• trigger graph.jpg
    trigger graph.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Maybe you should try a different game against better competition, but if you are shooting slowfire/ bullseye type games, i guess speed doesnt matter so you can do it however you like...

Reset has nothing to do with shots going roughly the same place when shooting fast.

The FBI has a trigger graph technology, The word is no one has ever hit the reset when shooting fast. This includes tests on world champions

Interesting.. and i thought i was doing it all wrong NOT shooting from reset. So im doing something right!!

Back
Top Bottom