• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trigger Problem.....AR-15

ArmySGTPM

Army Veteran
Quick background on the gun, Stag Model one with stock internals, purchased new in May have put over 2000 rounds down pipe maybe closer to 3 not sure. Clean thoroughly, (i get anal).

This past weekend I was at the Sig Sauer Academy for a 2 day advanced rifle course, within my first magazine my rifle let off a burst (mind you it is not a full auto gun). I was concerned but kept shooting and through out the weekend it the same incident happened maybe 3 more times give or take. After the first night i took the trigger apart to inspect it, looks fine no flaws, and i wiped it dry as I thought I may have gotten some of my gun butter lube down by the sear.

Today I took it to the range again to test it out to see if I could determine the problem...whether it was the Sear or Disconnector failing. Shot over 100 rounds and it functioned flawlessly.

Just finished cleaning it for the last 3 hours, lubed it up and ran a function check...and I know found a problem. Safety worked fine, pulled the trigger and the hammer fell, held trigger to rear, cycled the bolt released the trigger and the metallic click sounded fine as the disconnector released the and sear grabbed the hammer. Ran the function check again and this time as I released the trigger after cycling the bolt the hammer did not catch on the sear but rather released and fell forward which would have explained the bursts of automatic fire. I then video taped a function check so you could all see and hear, again first attempt worked fine, but the second you can hear the distinct noise of the hammer falling as I release the trigger.

Anyone have any similar issues with Stag or any AR in general? During my cleaning i disassembled the trigger again to inspect it and cleaned it very thoroughly. It looked ok to me but now I am questioning this. COuld it just happen when slick from too much oil/lube getting on the mechanism? This seems to simple an error.

Thanks

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd drop the trigger and replace the disconnector spring and likely the disconnector as well. It seems crazy to have these parts wear so soon. Do you strip your trigger from the rifle often? Not saying that's a cause for sure, but sometimes I wonder. Stag LPK's have been pretty good, but there were a few LPK's that had issues and it's possible Stag bought from the supplier. Have you thought about putting a better trigger in your gun, - RRA 2-stage or a drop in?

All I have to contribute here is...ATF has prosecuted for malfunctions like that. Get that shit to a competent gunsmith sooner rather than later, and never....ever....talk about having an unregistered machine gun on the internet, ever again.

Although, you did mention something about cleaning thoroughly and anal, so maybe you'll enjoy federal prison. [laugh]

Since you indicated that it is a factory STAG with internal:
- Call STAG and explain problem and get the RMA and have them send you pre-paid shipping and send it back.....

Why should you have to pay a gun smith to fix the problem.....

It could be several things.
1. disconnect timing. It maybe releasing the hammer before the trigger sear notch is reset, weak spring, worn hammer or disconnect

2. Wear on the mating surfaces of the hammer, disconnect or sear notch

3. The trigger is not fully reseting. Dragging on the front of the receiver or at the tail end. Burr on the grip screw pushing through and hitting the base of the trigger.
Or an issue the trigger spring.

Try testing it without the upper on the gun. You might be able to narrow it down. But I would just replace the entire trigger pack

Thanks guys

I am going to have to run some more tests to nRrow the problem down. I have been a big fan of this stock trigger, able to run it very very well. Sad to replace it if needed, I have gotten some fast times with it

EDIT:

Well the disconnector seems to be operating fine, properly engaging the hammer as it returns. What I have noticed is that upon releasing the trigger, the trigger bar does not engage the hammer sear notch. It looks like the trigger spring is not giving enough tension to resent the trigger to the proper place thus the hammer is unable to be engaged. HOWEVER this seems to only happen when I slowly ease off the trigger, when I release the trigger a little more forceful it works fine. Is this disconnector timing? or Trigger springs?

Either way I think I will call Stag, since this is just too new of a gun running all OEM parts to have to be replaced.

Last edited:
Update:

Called Stag today and explained to them the problem.
They were very courteous and apologetic and are sending me the replacement parts this week.
Was a very good experience lets just hope the shipping is quick and new parts do the trick

Trigger issue with model 8 stag

Quick background on the gun, Stag Model one with stock internals, purchased new in May have put over 2000 rounds down pipe maybe closer to 3 not sure. Clean thoroughly, (i get anal).

This past weekend I was at the Sig Sauer Academy for a 2 day advanced rifle course, within my first magazine my rifle let off a burst (mind you it is not a full auto gun). I was concerned but kept shooting and through out the weekend it the same incident happened maybe 3 more times give or take. After the first night i took the trigger apart to inspect it, looks fine no flaws, and i wiped it dry as I thought I may have gotten some of my gun butter lube down by the sear.

Today I took it to the range again to test it out to see if I could determine the problem...whether it was the Sear or Disconnector failing. Shot over 100 rounds and it functioned flawlessly.

Just finished cleaning it for the last 3 hours, lubed it up and ran a function check...and I know found a problem. Safety worked fine, pulled the trigger and the hammer fell, held trigger to rear, cycled the bolt released the trigger and the metallic click sounded fine as the disconnector released the and sear grabbed the hammer. Ran the function check again and this time as I released the trigger after cycling the bolt the hammer did not catch on the sear but rather released and fell forward which would have explained the bursts of automatic fire. I then video taped a function check so you could all see and hear, again first attempt worked fine, but the second you can hear the distinct noise of the hammer falling as I release the trigger.

Anyone have any similar issues with Stag or any AR in general? During my cleaning i disassembled the trigger again to inspect it and cleaned it very thoroughly. It looked ok to me but now I am questioning this. COuld it just happen when slick from too much oil/lube getting on the mechanism? This seems to simple an error.

Thanks

Pete

My stag would only fire one round then I would have to push the trigger forward to get the trigger to reset I found a metal bur on the disconnector I cleaned it up and it was better and it would fire more than one round but I called stag and they are sending me out a trigger assembly anyway.like they should! Your issue almost sounds like a weak trigger spring not engaging quick enough or something on the hammer right before the sear surface its kind of crude metal .I know how you feel mine is brand new and it's messed up at the start it sucks they should fire more than one round out of these at the factory and it would solve these stupid issues.Thanks Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom