• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trigger Pin Walking

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
This is not strictly a DIY question. It involves a commercial Stag AR-15, probably produced around 2010 or so. Pretty much original with two modifications, handguard and a Stoner trigger. Have fired it a little bit now and then, not too much. No problems

But today after about 40 rounds, the trigger froze up. Would not move. Dropped the mag, ejected the round in the chamber, tried the trigger again, no go. My son who was on my right side then noticed that the trigger pin was sticking out about 1/8" of an inch to the right, just enough to allow the trigger/hammer assembly to cock slightly which cause the stoppage. I was able to get it back in and fired about 10 more rounds with no problem.

Another shooter who observed this suggested that the trigger pin may have been installed in the wrong direction. I broke it down tonight and removed the trigger pin noting that the end with the groove closest to the end was on the left side of the lower. Most of the build guidance I have seen had that end on the right side of the lower. I re-installed it that way, cleaned and lubed everything, put it back together and tested it with some dummy rounds.

Does it matter which way the trigger pin is oriented or is there another potential problem I need to be aware of?

FOXTROTJULIETBRAVO

Brownells has a couple of low cost anti-walk AR trigger pin sets available ($12 a set).

There are other styles out there (with the bar going between the pins) if you don't like these. IF I had an issue with pins walking/moving on regular fire control groups, I'd install something like those. Since they require zero modification to the lower to install.

One of the two legs of the hammer pin is intended to rest in the trigger pin groove to retain the pin.
Pin direction doesn't matter since either the left or right leg will catch and do the job.
You might want to check to make sure the groove is clear of any gunk, and that the hammer spring leg is where it should be when assembled.

I install KNS anti walk pins on all my ARs. Big fan.
Almost all my regular trigger pins have waked on me.

Amazon sells a 2 pack for $11

Back
Top Bottom