• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trigger job for a rifle - anyone done it?

Patriot

NES Member
I have a Rem700 and the trigger isn't the greatest. As a result I have to really
discipline myself wrt trigger control when shooting, or my groups go all to hell. I
would like it to be less of a factor in my shooting so I can concentrate on what
I perceive to be far more important aspects of shooting. Anyone done it?

I have a Rem700 and the trigger isn't the greatest. As a result I have to really
discipline myself wrt trigger control when shooting, or my groups go all to hell. I
would like it to be less of a factor in my shooting so I can concentrate on what

I replaced my Rem 700 trigger with a Jewell trigger. So, not really a trigger job, but it did give me a much better trigger pull.

I got a Timney trigger for my Savage model 10 because it was the older style w/out the Savage Accu-trigger system that 99% of their rifles have now. The original trigger probably could have been polished to work better but I was fairly green at the workings so I bought the Timney trigger. After installing it, all I can say is wow!

I was leary at first because of all the adustment screws but the instructions were clear and I did it in around 15 minutes sitting on my bed.

Only other thing I'd recommend is if you do buy one, get some Tipton snap caps because you'll be dry firing a lot when making the final adjustments.

All that needs to be done is adjust it.

The MIM triggers on the newer models are harder to do than the older ones.

If you've never adjusted one before, I suggest finding a 'smith who can do it.

I have an older 700. All thats required is an allen wrench but you have to take the action out of the stock to do it.

I have had many 700's and only the oldest one had a trigger I could accept. I have adjusted some, sent some out for work, and replaced some as well.

I suggest you either send yours out or replace it completely. If you want a crisp and reliable trigger that shoots with ounces of pressure then get a Jewell. If you will be happy with one that shoots at about 3 1/2 to 4 lbs then you can send it out without a big expense ($70 or so). The problem I have found with doing it yourself if trying to get a very light trigger pull is that the trigger ends up being either a little gritty in the take up or it isn't stable enough to not go off when you close the bolt or take off the safety.

Dave

Mine is about the same age. If you adjust it, take note of how far you turn the allen wrench. That way, if you don't like the results, you can put it back the way it was. It costs you nothing to try and you still have the option to buy another trigger or send it to a gunsmith.

Back
Top Bottom