Tree stand etiquette

You can't do that outside of pre paid long term parking. They will tow your car.

Not sure if serious but this obviously depends on the town and any ordinances that may or may not be in play.

I can park one of my cars on the street near my house and pretty much leave it there anytime it isn't during a "snow emergency" and nobody will
touch it.

-Mike

You can't do that outside of pre paid long term parking. They will tow your car.

We can just agree to disagree on the stands. But I think there's nothing wrong hunting a stand someone leaves on public. As mentioned prior, illegally almost all of the time to boot. Every, and I do mean every stand I have ever seen on public penetrated the tree in some way (illegal).

They (the state or town) might, but another driver did not. Nor did one use my car because I left it there which is my whole point of all my posts.

If you feel you have the right to use someone’s stand then by all means jump on it. If they show up, don’t expect a cordial greeting from any of them. And please post how it all goes.

No they’re benefiting from their laziness and in most cases disregard for the law. Labor would be packing it in and out each hunt. You leave a stand on public, expect others to use it. Hence the word “public”... I won’t because I don’t trust what I don’t deploy, own or maintain. But I take no issue with anyone who does. If I ever hang a stand on public and leave it, it would be with the very reasonable expectation others will use it. And you know what, because I’m not an entitled douche, I would be okay with it. I also wouldn't use screw-in steps, nails, screws, etc. that are illegal and I would remove it on the 30th day as well to keep it all legal. I don't want to devalue the landowner's timber assets either. That's - a shithead move.

Because, IMHO, that's just too much work (for me anyway), I just choose to pack in/out each hunt. I don't like to hunt the same spots again and again anyway.
[/Again wouldnt sit someones stand because thats not me. But on plublic land if stand is vacant I will setup wherever I want
No they’re benefiting from their laziness and in most cases disregard for the law. Labor would be packing it in and out each hunt. You leave a stand on public, expect others to use it. Hence the word “public”... I won’t because I don’t trust what I don’t deploy, own or maintain. But I take no issue with anyone who does. If I ever hang a stand on public and leave it, it would be with the very reasonable expectation others will use it. And you know what, because I’m not an entitled douche, I would be okay with it. I also wouldn't use screw-in steps, nails, screws, etc. that are illegal and I would remove it on the 30th day as well to keep it all legal. I don't want to devalue the landowner's timber assets either. That's - a shithead move.

Because, IMHO, that's just too much work (for me anyway), I just choose to pack in/out each hunt. I don't like to hunt the same spots again and again anyway.

Never really meant I have an issue with someone sitting anothers stand on public. (Even mine)

Just said it’s something I personally wouldnt do.

More and more I think carry in carry out is best. It also makes you a better hunter as you will scout more and be tied to one spot less. Everyone gets lazy sometimes and will just go to the preset stand.

I do think its good to have a preset quick hour before or after work spot.As its better than the couch.
By me that spot is on public land and if someone was sitting there I wouldnt care as long as they didnt fxck with the stand. That said stand has already been taken down for the season as its an archery only spot anyway.

I do takedown my public stands yearly.

On private land ive left a few up, but usually after two years im moving or replacing stuff religously.

They (the state or town) might, but another driver did not. Nor did one use my car because I left it there which is my whole point of all my posts.

If you feel you have the right to use someone’s stand then by all means jump on it. If they show up, don’t expect a cordial greeting from any of them. And please post how it all goes.

Honestly, I wouldnt have an issue. Id cruise by after hunting time and let them know that stand is my personal property and it will be taken down as I choose. So dont rely on it being there. And by all means dont get mad if im in it, as then we will have an issue.

Ive never had anyone sit my archery public land stands.

Way back there was a time when you were required to put name and address on your arrows. That was a long time ago but I can still remember going WTF how am I supposed to fit all that on a freaking arrow.

Bob
NH used to require it, maybe still does.

My very first archery deer I killed in NH with a recurve. The broken end of the WOOD arrow I saved has my name and address on it. LOL.

When I started huntind NE Connecticut public land in the 80s. This is what the woods looked like.
Except the stands were empty most of the time

Harold Parker looks like that or at least it did when I tried to hunt it a few years ago with a friend. Stands and strap on ladders everywhere. It was actually pretty funny

Never really meant I have an issue with someone sitting anothers stand on public. (Even mine)

Just said it’s something I personally wouldnt do.

More and more I think carry in carry out is best. It also makes you a better hunter as you will scout more and be tied to one spot less. Everyone gets lazy sometimes and will just go to the preset stand.

I do think its good to have a preset quick hour before or after work spot.As its better than the couch.
By me that spot is on public land and if someone was sitting there I wouldnt care as long as they didnt fxck with the stand. That said stand has already been taken down for the season as its an archery only spot anyway.

I do takedown my public stands yearly.

On private land ive left a few up, but usually after two years im moving or replacing stuff religously.

Then you and I are on the exact same page. That sums up exactly how I feel about it, and how I feel it should be too.

I'll take it a step further as well. I've also found sleds left out in the woods. If someone bags a deer I have no problem with them using a sled left out in the woods by another. As long as they put it back exactly where they found it when they're done. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I've never done it because I've never been fortunate enough to bag a a deer where I found one. I have to go back to the truck anyway if I get one. That's where I keep my field dressing and recovery equipment. I don't even have a knife on me while actively hunting. Just a weapon, stand, sticks, headlamp and a GPS. Oh and a couple milk weed pods. Maybe a pair of hand pruners if I know I'll be in some thick stuff. But not always.

I'll take it a step further as well. I've also found sleds left out in the woods. If someone bags a deer I have no problem with them using a sled left out in the woods by another. As long as they put it back exactly where they found it when they're done. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I have seen ground blinds on public in western Mass that have a note on them that say “You are welcome to use the blind but please leave it as you found it.

Bob

Don't forget one thing . Stands on public lands become targets for anti hunters . I had stands on private property that abutted a public property and several times had the stands destroyed by anti hunters. Couple of examples , one time they painted my treestands orange with spraypaint (apparently they dont know deer dont see well in the red to orange range). Several times they stole the tree brace off the bottom of the stand or stole the bottom half of the stand . It got so bad i bolted the stand to gether instead of using the pins , didn't matter they still destroyed them . The worse thing was several times they cut through the straps that hold the stand to the tree, not all the way through about 7/8 the way so it would hold until you got near the top. Finally i had to resort to welding the entire tree stand together and burying the first foot in the ground then chaining the stand and tree brace to the tree before they left them alone.

Watch out for Antis they are nuts , they wouldn't care if a hunter got hurt .

... The worse thing was several times they cut through the straps that hold the stand to the tree, not all the way through about 7/8 the way so it would hold until you got near the top.

I had that happen to a ladder stand on my property. Now I've got multiple cameras watching over the area, with one cellular-capable camera that sends pics instantly (most of the time). If someone tampers with that camera, it's got a motion sensor which activates a broadcast of its GPS coordinates to me.

Don't forget one thing . Stands on public lands become targets for anti hunters . I had stands on private property that abutted a public property and several times had the stands destroyed by anti hunters. Couple of examples , one time they painted my treestands orange with spraypaint (apparently they dont know deer dont see well in the red to orange range). Several times they stole the tree brace off the bottom of the stand or stole the bottom half of the stand . It got so bad i bolted the stand to gether instead of using the pins , didn't matter they still destroyed them . The worse thing was several times they cut through the straps that hold the stand to the tree, not all the way through about 7/8 the way so it would hold until you got near the top. Finally i had to resort to welding the entire tree stand together and burying the first foot in the ground then chaining the stand and tree brace to the tree before they left them alone.

Watch out for Antis they are nuts , they wouldn't care if a hunter got hurt .

This can happen on any property. I had an abutting anti cut 7/8 thru my stand strap one time. I couldnt prove it was him though.

They will usually start with verbal harrassment, but once you know an anti is around your better off taking your stand down and using a climber.

They may think you have stopped hunting there when you use the climber and go looking for other stands. And the very next time you hunt you may catch them poking around and get pics of them trespassing.

Full time surviellance camera from a high tree facing your stand, you can use to send the warden pics of the offender. But you better check that stand every time you get into it, and in the dark that can be

Also, know when to walk away,

As much as I detest quitting on something, when people are messing with your stands so youll get hurt or killed. You need to ask yourself if its worth it. A guy can just as easily take a pot shot at you in the tree as well.
Be careful out there. There are some crazy bastards and although you think youll win the argument. You wont if your paralyzed from falling a cut stand or someone shoots you.
It does you or your family no good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom