Tree stand ethics?

NES Member
Today I set up a new stand.
Set up climbing steps. When I got to the top to hang my stand. There was a hook and Orange tack in the top of the tree. (Public land).
Did not see it from the ground. Hook & tack look pretty old bark was split around the hook. They definitely weren't using a climber because the tree was Y shaped.
I hung my stand anyway. I figured if it was still being hunted there would be a stand in there by now. Hopefully no one screws with it.
I don't think I was wrong in what I did.
I Was looking to get the NES point of view.
What would you have done ?
Hung it like me or moved on.
IMG_20191029_122005129.jpg

Public land.....no stand there, the tree/spot is yours.

Anyone who thinks they can permanently reserve a spot or tree on public land by leaving their gear screwed into a tree is crazy. I'd remove anything left behind and be done with it.

Last edited:
Public land is first come first serve.

When I hunted from trees my stand came in and out with me.

There are people that will hunt your stand if you left it there. I have heard many stories over the years of hunters coming in to sit their stand and found it occupied.

Not something I would do but it happens And it’s still first come first serve.

Bob

I wouldn't sweat it, but I would look around for a better spot.

There are people that will hunt your stand if you left it there. I have heard many stories over the years of hunters coming in to sit their stand and found it occupied.

Bob
Wow that takes some balls. Maybe when I go in the hunt it I'll lock the seat up. So if someone does try to hunt it they will have to stand the whole time. Lol

Wow that takes some balls. Maybe when I go in the hunt it I'll lock the seat up. So if someone does try to hunt it they will have to stand the whole time. Lol

It goes both ways. Should others not hunt there because you have a stand on the tree? IMO the only stands that should be used on public land are portables that go in and out with the hunter.

I used to mark my trees the same way with a strip of surveyors tape and 4 reflective racks at the height I wanted to stop at.

Bob

they could also crouch uncomfortably with the seat digging into their back, or do the dangle and just sit on the floor/foot rest (i've done this intentionally during long sits to be able to move my legs a little).

if i ever found someone in my stand (all on private land) I would start cutting the straps with them in it...on public land (which I plan on hunting next year for the first time) i'll be using a climber.

It goes both ways. Should others not hunt there because you have a stand on the tree? IMO the only stands that should be used on public land are portables that go in and out with the hunter.

I used to mark my trees the same way with a strip of surveyors tape and 4 reflective racks at the height I wanted to stop at.

Bob
I think they have every right to hunt there. Just not in my stand. They could set up a stand in the tree right next to me if they wanted to.
If you have a chair set up at the beach. Is someone allowed to sit in it because you're not in it? I don't think so but they can set up one right next to you if they would like to.
The law also allows you to have a permanent stand as long as it's labeled with your name and phone number.

Put an arrow in anyone ignorant enough and lazy enough to sit in your stand ! My stand is my solitude and piece of mind for 6-7 hours weather I shoot anything or not !

Put an arrow in anyone ignorant enough and lazy enough to sit in your stand ! My stand is my solitude and piece of mind for 6-7 hours weather I shoot anything or not !
I don't know if I'd go that far. I like my freedom LOL. But I no what you mean.

If that’s MY tree I’m climbing up and taking my hook back! Leaving your stand on public land is risky. I use a climber. Lots of friends have had their gear stolen or damaged. Good luck and post a pic of the first one down,

Bob

True story. Stands installed on public land are for public use. "Yours" or not makes no difference at the end of the day. There's no such thing as private property on public land. Taking equipment in and out is the best way. Not to mention you don't advertise your locations, aside from making it easier for someone else to hunt them.

There was a thread on here form someone a couple of years ago... They had a stand out in the woods, went to hunt it and found a gut pile under it... A nice thank you note from the guy who hunted it just prior.. Public land so it is what it is.

In the OP's case, the last person probably just forgot their bow/gear holder in the tree from a prior run and gun hang and hunt. I don't know why the orange tack way up in the tree though... That's strange.

True story. Stands installed on public land are for public use.
There's no such thing as private property on public land. ...
An NES post from 9-Feb'14 quotes the not-an-actual-law Mass. hunting reg magazine:
hunting law question on private wetlands​
... From the hunting abstracts:

Tree stands: Must have written permission of the landowner (on either public or private lands) to construct or use any tree stand which is fastened to a tree by nails, bolts, wire, or other fasteners that intrude through the bark into the wood of the tree, or that is fastened or erected in any manner and is emplaced for a period exceeding 30 days. This includes lock-on tree stands.

I found the PDF of the (coincidentally, 2014 edition) of the glossy Mass. hunting regs,
and they contain the same text and have nothing else to say about tree stand legalities.

New York is way stricter:
no damaging trees,
and stands have to come down every day.

I know the state's history.
They're afraid of deforestration and don't want tree damage
causing erosion to silt up the harbors and cause square riggers to run aground.

Today I set up a new stand.
Set up climbing steps. When I got to the top to hang my stand. There was a hook and Orange tack in the top of the tree. (Public land).
Did not see it from the ground. Hook & tack look pretty old bark was split around the hook. They definitely weren't using a climber because the tree was Y shaped.
I hung my stand anyway. I figured if it was still being hunted there would be a stand in there by now. Hopefully no one screws with it.
I don't think I was wrong in what I did.
I Was looking to get the NES point of view.
What would you have done ?
Hung it like me or moved on.
View attachment 309924

Hooks in trees are a no no on public land

I don't know why the orange tack way up in the tree though... That's strange.

Thats the way I marked “my“ trees way back when I hunted out of a climber. A strip of surveyors tape and 4 tacks so I could find it easily in the dark from any direction. That’s the only marking I would use to mark a spot. My gps would get me there and I would just look up.

There are many advantages to doing it this way:
Generally, people don’t look up so they don’t see your tacks.
The woods aren’t littered with a sea of tacks.
You know how high to hunt that set.

Bob

Massachusetts CMR prohibits permanent stands, which are defined as: "Permanent Tree Stand means that type of hunting platform or structure (emplaced for any period of time) which is fastened to a tree by nails, bolts, wire, or other fasteners which intrude through the bark into the wood of the tree, or, which is fastened or erected in any manner and is emplaced for a period exceeding 30 days."

And are prohibited here: "(g) No person, except on land owned or leased by him or her or except with the express written permission of the landowner or his or her authorized agent, shall construct, maintain, occupy, or use a permanent tree stand."

True story. Stands installed on public land are for public use. "Yours" or not makes no difference at the end of the day. There's no such thing as private property on public land. Taking equipment in and out is the best way. Not to mention you don't advertise your locations, aside from making it easier for someone else to hunt them.

There was a thread on here form someone a couple of years ago... They had a stand out in the woods, went to hunt it and found a gut pile under it... A nice thank you note from the guy who hunted it just prior.. Public land so it is what it is.

In the OP's case, the last person probably just forgot their bow/gear holder in the tree from a prior run and gun hang and hunt. I don't know why the orange tack way up in the tree thou
Massachusetts CMR prohibits permanent stands, which are defined as: "Permanent Tree Stand means that type of hunting platform or structure (emplaced for any period of time) which is fastened to a tree by nails, bolts, wire, or other fasteners which intrude through the bark into the wood of the tree, or, which is fastened or erected in any manner and is emplaced for a period exceeding 30 days."

And are prohibited here: "(g) No person, except on land owned or leased by him or her or except with the express written permission of the landowner or his or her authorized agent, shall construct, maintain, occupy, or use a permanent tree stand."
I'm aware of that law. When I said permanent I meant leaving it in for a month. you are allowed to erect a standing on DCR property as long as you don't damage the tree. For 30 days as long as your name and phone number is on it. That's why I don't get hangers very few trees are telephone pole like. Technically you are not allowed to trim a branch even if it's only dime size and diameter. On DCR property.

For 30 days as long as your name and phone number is on it. That's why I don't get hangers very few trees are telephone pole like. Technically you are not allowed to trim a branch even if it's only dime size and diameter.

My post you quoted was only for the sake of clarity.

With regard to this "name and phone number" you mention, have you got a cite for that? I've never read that one.

My post you quoted was only for the sake of clarity.

With regard to this "name and phone number" you mention, have you got a cite for that? I've never read that one.
I cannot, I will see if I can find it on my lunch break I'm going on what I was told by someone so I could be wrong. I did a quick Google search. And all I could find was that that was required on federal property.

Ive left stands in for years on public land. They get hunted by others. I know that.

Though I wouldn’t appreciate someone in my stand when I go to hunt it. That has never happened to me. Not many bowhunt by me, so I assume its wandering gun hunters who will never see a deer from those sets in shotgun season anyway. Deer are way deeper at that time of year.

They have never gotten stolen but over the years become unsafe. If its worth it ill remaintain them, if not, They get to the scrap pile eventually.

They are generally in spots where if I want to go in for a quick one hour hunt ot try calling for a bit.

Over the years ive dwindled down to just two stands near my house and now I dont add more. If the whites are dropping there they are worth a sit if not, they will sit unhunted by me all year as deer will be somewhere where the food is.

I hunt the summit climber and pack out and in now for the most part. I dont hunt public land alot.

I have sets in private spots and they generally dont get bothered, other than sometimes by the occasional wandering gun hunter who cant read no tresspass signs. If they were in my private land stand, and I caught them, yeah. Not good.

Last edited:
I cannot, I will see if I can find it on my lunch break I'm going on what I was told by someone so I could be wrong. I did a quick Google search. And all I could find was that that was required on federal property.

Not saying this applies in this case, but there were at least a couple of older hunting regs in MA that have since been eliminated. Some out of the concern for possible hunter harassment.

Back
Top Bottom