Treating your yard for ticks?

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have used mosquito squad for ticks and the results are great.
Out of curiosity what's it cost?

I have the same sprayer they use and a few jugs of Malathion for the skeeters. My tick problem is near zero except for last night I found a wood tick on the dog. He hasn't had a tick as of last April when we got him.
I'm 100% surrounded by many acres of woods and some swamp.

Lank

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have the same sprayer they use and a few jugs of Malathion for the skeeters. My tick problem is near zero except for last night I found a wood tick on the dog. He hasn't had a tick as of last April when we got him.
I think I paid 150 a visit. Gardner/Fitchburg/Leominster area

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

I pay up front for the year, with pre pay discount it is just under $600.
I believe it is every 2-3 weeks, approx 9 visits

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the stuff getting sprayed including permethrin is toxic to both honey bees and wildlife which I am sure includes your family pets.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want a more pet friendly option try this .
We use it and it does work.
Get a hand spreader to get into areas with it that you can't with a push spreader.
Concentrate on the yard / wood line transition especially .
Deer ticks like edges.
At night they move from the brush down under the leaf litter .
That's where the granular gets them .
If you have dog ticks as well , treat the lawn too.
Dog ticks are more mobile and "Hunt" while deer ticks lay up waiting to hitch a ride on whatever brushes by them while they are out on the ends of branches and tips of leaves.

If you want to get an idea of how bad your property is infested, tie a white pillowcase to a stick like a flag and drag it through the brush around the edge of your property.
Or you might not want to because once you see that you might go on a tick lock down .

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I asked as the back pack was a tad over 600 a couple of years ago. I’m afraid to get a quote for spraying here.
They spray a 3 acre perimeter, and around my deck, gutters, etc.
They use a gas powered sprayer and done in 15 minutes. I reluctantly hired them for grad. party a couple years ago and the lack of mosquitos and ticks sold me immediately.

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A lot of the stuff getting sprayed including permethrin is toxic to both honey bees and wildlife which I am sure includes your family pets.
Yeah - you can’t spray permethrin anywhere near cats. Highly toxic to them. Don’t know about dogs though.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
They spray a 3 acre perimeter, and around my deck, gutters, etc.
They use a gas powered sprayer and done in 15 minutes. I reluctantly hired them for grad. party a couple years ago and the lack of mosquitos and ticks sold me immediately.
I’m sure it would be at least double here. I don’t spray until you can’t walk without being under full attack.

boscru

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
woke up yesterday AM to find a tick on my forearm, already starting to burrow in. got the head out

according to my personal, and free, NP i should be okay.

bacitracin and dressing recommended, along with no more self-surgery to remove any remaining pieces [rofl]

i consider myself a decent self-medic, no scar on the thumb tip re-attachment i incurred with a sawz-all a few years ago . was a bit insulted, but i'll follow instructions in this case

i have to send her pics each day to evaluate.

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We treat our yard with Muscovy ducks and chickens. Far from perfect, but has additional benefits.
i wonder if there is an uptick in chick sales at dodge grain and tractor supply this year....people stuck at home, want eggs and do not want ticks

MassPete

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Gusp

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks that the chicks are sold out. I gave my chickens away last year after several bear and hawk attacks and figuring that I would be doing some road trips this summer. Doesn't look like I'll be doing any travel now, but I can't get my hens back. Wish I had the dairy goats again, too.

Chickens are great at controlling ticks.

Smokewagon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Don't know about the services but I have sprayed along the borders with permethrin in years past. When I have sprayed, I don't see ticks in our yard.
I do the same. I hit the outside of the house and about 10ft from it into the grass. Then I hit the perimeter. Ticks and mosquitoes are pretty much nil. I've got a little one who gets massive bumps from mosquitoes so I spray twice a year.

I keep it away from our flowering plants and such as I don't want to kill bees. We also have a rather large flower garden set up to attract butterflies and the wife and kids love it so i stay well away from it when spraying.

Smokewagon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for all the info. I am not sure about the chemicals on the lawn for the dog. Are these pet friendly? I noticed a bunch of organic chemical solutions that are supposed to be pet friendly, but not sure if they work.

And I agree, rather than paying a service, I can easily do this myself if I find the right solution. While I would love chickens, they are not an option.
Permeation is pretty safe for dogs. It's used in some sprays and collars for them. Absolutely toxic to cats though.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i wonder if there is an uptick in chick sales at dodge grain and tractor supply this year....people stuck at home, want eggs and do not want ticks
I was in Dodges in Salem NH a week and a half ago, and could here the chicks then.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done spraying this, an organic non permethrin solution that is garlic, cedar, and castor oil. Trying this first, before going to the permethrin srpray, but did put out some permethrin tick tubes around the perimeter.

Whole yard, and kitchen where I took out the box smells heavily of raw garlic. Not sure if it will keep the ticks away, but certainly no vampires.

1586895815092.png

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
found 2 on my new pup today... Looking at ordering the 36% Permethrin off Amazon for $35/qt.

can/should I use this with my propane fogger? Does anyone even use these anymore?

Top Bottom