Treating your yard for ticks?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last 4 days, my wife has had 2 ticks, and the dog 1. This is from just a 5 minute walk around the backyard! And it is very clean of leaves, it actually looks like the fall cleanup was the spring cleanup.

I have heard about treating your yard for ticks. My lawn guy has a service that offers this. Can anyone tell me if this works? I am more worried about my wife and myself, the dog gets meds that kill ticks if she gets bitten. I would need to treat about 1/3-1/2 acre of grass, I doubt it would work on the rest of the woods behind that (we have about 20 acres of wetlands behind the house).

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have put this down around the same time as stage 1 fertilizer and it has done a good job

1585233679779.png

As above, the cotton ball tick tubes do a good job on reducing tick populations on mice

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daminix tick tubes are the way to go. I tried making my own once, what a friggin mess. The insecticide is like honey, hard to handle with cotton balls

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Same stuff they use for Skeeters, IIRC. It needs to get on the plants as that is where the ticks lay in wait. They aren't ground-based technically.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
The tick tubes work fantastic. Significantly reduce the number. I laid out about 20 of them two years ago and another 15 or so last year. Had very few ticks in the house last year. I'm planning another batch this spring.

With all the TP out there, should be plenty of tubes.

Also, instead of cotton balls, I've saved dryer lint all winter and use mostly that. (I keep a bit of white cotton lint for fire starters)

Evadd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
With livestock coming to use the fields this summer, I can't do chemicals. A dozen chickens and a half-dozen guinea fowl are my insecticide of choice this year. The dog gets Frontlined once a month.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. I am not sure about the chemicals on the lawn for the dog. Are these pet friendly? I noticed a bunch of organic chemical solutions that are supposed to be pet friendly, but not sure if they work.

And I agree, rather than paying a service, I can easily do this myself if I find the right solution. While I would love chickens, they are not an option.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
In the last 4 days, my wife has had 2 ticks, and the dog 1. This is from just a 5 minute walk around the backyard! And it is very clean of leaves, it actually looks like the fall cleanup was the spring cleanup.

I have heard about treating your yard for ticks. My lawn guy has a service that offers this. Can anyone tell me if this works? I am more worried about my wife and myself, the dog gets meds that kill ticks if she gets bitten. I would need to treat about 1/3-1/2 acre of grass, I doubt it would work on the rest of the woods behind that (we have about 20 acres of wetlands behind the house).
where u located, i mean i take any business at this point

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for all the info. I am not sure about the chemicals on the lawn for the dog. Are these pet friendly? I noticed a bunch of organic chemical solutions that are supposed to be pet friendly, but not sure if they work.

And I agree, rather than paying a service, I can easily do this myself if I find the right solution. While I would love chickens, they are not an option.
I use organic materials you can even drink it lol

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sure, but I am 99 miles one way from you. Not sure that's economical
ah no to little, my prices are much aggresive then mosquito squad so profit per yard is minimum . nice if you do 15 in a row but for 20 dollars per yard profit driving just to someone isn't really worth

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Permethrin (which is what’s used in tick tubes in addition to being available in spray or bulk liquid forms) is poisonous to ticks at all times, AND felines - but only if aspirated (so don’t spray it on/near any cats. Once it’s dry, it’s cat safe)

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Permethrin (which is what’s used in tick tubes in addition to being available in spray or bulk liquid forms) is poisonous to ticks at all times, AND felines - but only if aspirated (so don’t spray it on/near any cats. Once it’s dry, it’s cat safe)
The permethrin (pyrethroid) yard sprays work, are safe for dogs. I'm doubtful of the efficacy of those "organic" products.

The most effective dog treatment is the persistent topical (e.g. Advantix), they also make a cat-safe formula. When used properly, ticks don't live long enough to attach. You might find a tick or two on the dog when you get home, but it'll be a dead tick walking.

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I use a company that sprays for ticks and mosquitos. Worth every penny considering we back up into the woods. About $110 per visit, ~21 visits between Spring and Fall, weather permitting.

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Don't waste you money on paying someone to do this. Buy a cheap pump sprayer and some concentrated permethrin off the interwebs, mix it up according to the label and spray. It's that simple. Permethrin stays effective for about 4 weeks, it is safe for contact from people and animals as soon as it is dry.

Top Bottom