Travelling to PA (New Jersey non res LTC question also)

Entertainingly, every time I go down there, the gas is still cheaper than self serve up here in taxeschusetts.

That's more than taxes. There is very good access to ports in the tri state area and so distribution costs are low. Even on LI there is a huge underground pipe that distributes fuel and gas to the island from further west. It runs out to just before riverhead. Though I make no claim it's one way or the other, I would not be surprised to find that MA taxes are lower than there.

No, all of the gas pumpers are illegals. It was the gas stations themselves that lobbied for this. Ostensibly to make sure they produce jobs but I am pretty sure it was so they could charge more for the gas. When you make money on margins the more expensive your product is, the more money you can make if the good is inelastic, which auto fuel pretty much is.

If making more money on the gas was the issue . Please explain why every gasoline purchase I've ever made in NJ , has been for less per gal. than I've paid in Ma. .

Why is NJ gas cheaper than MA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#New_Jersey said:
New Jersey

* Bayway Refinery (ConocoPhillips), Linden 230,000 bbl/d (37,000 m3/d)
* Eagle Point Refinery (Sunoco), Westville 145,000 bbl/d (23,100 m3/d)
* Paulsboro Asphalt Refinery (NuStar), Paulsboro 51,000 bbl/d (8,100 m3/d)
* Paulsboro Refinery (Valero), Paulsboro 160,000 bbl/d (25,000 m3/d)
* Perth Amboy Refinery (Chevron), Perth Amboy 80,000 bbl/d (13,000 m3/d)
* Port Reading Refinery (Hess), Port Reading 62,000 bbl/d (9,900 m3/d)

If making more money on the gas was the issue . Please explain why every gasoline purchase I've ever made in NJ , has been for less per gal. than I've paid in Ma. .

See strangeNHs post for more supporting info, but there is a cost for the crude, there is a refinery cost and combined, that is the cost of the fuel wholesale. Then there is a cost to move that fuel from the refinery into the cars tank. That's distribution. MA has likely the same wholesale fuel costs but the distribution costs are likely higher as we need to get our fuel from NJ (which I think is actually the case). Then there is taxes. So it's wholesale + distribution + taxes = what you pay. That's how MA taxes can be less than NJs and still have a higher cost. We don't know what the dist costs are for MA and NJ but are assuming it's significantly different.

Think about the number of snowbirds driving south every winter, and north every spring. Most go through NJ on their way to FL with their pistols. Traveling with a pistol in a properly locked case, with the ammunition in another properly locked case, with no access from the passenger compartment is not the problem. Your ability to travel between states has nothing to do with whatever state recognizes your carry permit. FOPA pretty much takes care of this. What it doesn't take care of is air travel. If you are held over in a very un gun friendly state for delay reasons (like NJ) do not take possession of your luggage. You can take out what you will need to stay the night in a secure area, and replace it the next morning. When you take possession of your luggage you are outside the scope of FOPA. That is where the traveller in Newark ran into big trouble.

Most go through NJ on their way to FL with their pistols.

I would avoid NJ. Take a narrow route through New York state (I-84) and cut down into PA. From what I've read, NJ (and DC) are two of the jurisdictions most likely to jam-up gun owners regardless of FOPA. Even if I win, I'd rather not spend anytime in a jail cell.

Holy resurrection. The bigger question is WHY are you being searched or allowing a search?

That is a question but it isn't a bigger one. Why? Who knows. What I do know is that people get their cars searched everyday for questionable or illegal reasons. It takes nothing more than running into the wrong LEO at the wrong time. How it plays out after is, in my opinion, a bigger issue.

Old thread, I know, but a couple comments.

Gas is indeed cheaper in NJ than almost anywhere else in the US. Why? Not sure. All the refineries would make sense, but then you drive just minutes north into NY and CT and prices are some of the most expensive in the country. So I really don't know. And you can't pump your own gas. So that is a strange one.

You have no chance of obtaining a carry permit in NJ. None. They do however have a FPID (firearms purchase ID), for both residents and non-residents. The name itself is a misnomer. It is required to buy ammunition commonly used in handguns, the purchase of long guns, and the unloaded transportation of long guns. They have illegal requirements in order to obtain one (currently multiple multi-year lawsuits over this), and they take illegally long to issue them (also lawsuits involved).

When traveling between states there are two things to consider. State laws, and FOPA. First, the possession at your departure location and arrival location must be legal (state law). If not, nothing will cover your transport. You are breaking the law. Second, do any of the states your are traveling through have strict laws, specifically, more strict than FOPA? If so, follow FOPA. This is almost certainly always the case when traveling through NY and NJ.

Third, something that is even more prominently an issue now, is that believe it or not, while you may be able to transport an un-nuetered AR (for example) through NJ/NY in accordance with FOPA legally, FOPA does not cover magazines, as stupid as that sounds. So if some crazy situation happened in NY, having an AR might not be the issue, but simply having an AR magazine could land you in legal land facing criminal charges. Messed up! Just something to think about.

Quite honestly, I'd be more concerned with NY than NJ these days (when it comes to interstate transportation of firearms.

Gas is indeed cheaper in NJ than almost anywhere else in the US. Why? Not sure. All the refineries would make sense, but then you drive just minutes north into NY and CT and prices are some of the most expensive in the country. So I really don't know. And you can't pump your own gas. So that is a strange one.

Reason is low state gas tax. NJ is #48, NY is #1 (highest gas tax).

That's about the only tax that is low in that craphole. Source: My in-laws live in NJ [sad]

http://taxfoundation.org/article/state-gasoline-tax-rates-2009-2013

Last edited:
Having lived in New Hampshire, and Maine, and now residing in NJ I would be way more afraid of NY than NJ. Also, obtaining an FID in some towns is a nightmare. People tell me stories of waiting months for an FID and months for a permit to purchase with no resolution when they contact their local police department. I guess it is a power trip for the police to "control" the gun owning public. After I submitted my fingerprints I was thirty calendar days until all of my paperwork was ready to be picked up. The police in some NJ towns are great to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom