• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traveling To VT Through NH

Not sure if i'm reading the laws right need some clarification. I'm traveling to VT this coming friday for the weekend. We will be traveling through NH. I am still waiting for my Non-Red NH(its taking forever) Is it ok to travel with the guns locked and unloaded in the trunk? Or am I out of luck for this weekend? Everyone going does have MA LTCs.

Thanks

you dont need any permit of any kind in NH unless you are carrying concealed handguns. In other words, yes your good to go with the guns locked in the trunk.

have fun. [grin]

Rob

Is it ok to travel with the guns locked and unloaded in the trunk?
Yes, until you get to the Vermont state line. Then you can load up and holster
Everyone going does have MA LTCs.
And it doesn't matter. MA LTCs are not recognized in NH for concealed carry and they are not necessary for possession in NH or for possession AND concealed carry in VT.

I don't believe they need to be locked, just unloaded.

So it appears.

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE
CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
Section 159:4
159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.
Source. 1923, 118:4. PL 149:4. RL 179:4. 1951, 151:1. RSA 159:4. 1967, 220:3. 1973, 528:84. 1994, 48:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995.

Also, I'd suggest keeping the guns and all associated paraphernalia out of sight. No reason to give a police officer on a traffic stop something to go fishing for.

So beating a very dead horse here....

If I go hiking/camping in NH, I can bring my rifle and carry it with me while hiking? Same with VT?

I'm Mass registered LTC-A NR

you can carry the gun in a holster concealed in your car or walking down the street in NH, you can not have any ammo in the gun, or loaded in magazines on your person doing so without a non res permit

You can not have a loaded gun in the car

You can open carry without a non res permit loaded and ready to fire, but in Southern NH it may be met with some concern by Ma**h***s/ ex Ma**h***s who don't understand "Live Free or Die"
(the same people calling the cops because someone hangs a deer in their yard)

If you are carrying a rifle in the woods and don't have a hunting license, I suspect you could run afoul of a NH Fish & Game officer.

I'm Mass registered LTC-A NR
Irrelevant outside your state when it comes to the carrying of long guns and the posession of long guns and handguns.

Most states have no gun owner licensing of any sort. You can possess anything you can legally buy without any paperwork whatsoever. Same goes for the carrying of long guns, and in many cases the open carry of handguns.

If you are carrying a rifle in the woods and don't have a hunting license, I suspect you could run afoul of a NH Fish & Game officer.

They will also often hassle you if you openly carry a handgun afield during hunting season and don't have a pistol/revolver license. They generally consider it presumptive of poaching, and make you spend a boatload of money to "prove your innocence."

Last edited:
Everyone going does have MA LTCs.
Why do you guys keep saying that?

MA LTCs don't mean shit anywhere else. Once you leave MA, NY, CT, and RI, you can possess as many guns as you like and travel with them without the need for any licenses or permits.........

Back
Top Bottom