• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traveling to visit family

On friday i will be traveling to visit my family in Ma. i currently have my LTC in Connecticut. On my way to MA i will be picking up my new handgun. My question is, is it legal for me to bring it with me to MA if i dont have a MA LTC? I obviously understand it could not be loaded or on my person. So could i bring it if i have the magazine in a locked case and the gun in a seperate locked case? As many details and clarification would be great. Thanks for the help in advance.

No... since your destination is in MA, you are not permitted to bring any of your guns or ammunition to MA, unless you are attending (and are pre-registered for) a shooting competition. FOPA does not protect you, and your CT permit doesn't help either. Sorry we live in such a messed-up state...

Possession of a pistol is illegal without a MA LTC. You can't even posses magazines or ammo without an LTC. If you were traveling through MA en route to somewhere where possession was legal with with your current situation, Federal law would cover you but since your destination is MA, no can do.

No... since your destination is in MA, you are not permitted to bring any of your guns or ammunition to MA, unless you are attending (and are pre-registered for) a shooting competition. FOPA does not protect you, and your CT permit doesn't help either. Sorry we live in such a messed-up state...

Yeah, what he said....beat me to it...and it was an assumption you weren't attending a competition with a gun you bought on the way [wink]

What if i am a legal resident of MA. I have a MA drivers license and all my bills go to MA. I am on active duty orders in CT. I know military members can transport weapons across state lines... Any clarification would be greatly appreciated

Trust us, leave the gun, magazines, ammo, and everything right down to spent ammo in CT.
You get caught with so much as a spent round and they can jam you up.

Thank you for your service, but MA does not trust you with a weapon, or component.

What if i am a legal resident of MA. I have a MA drivers license and all my bills go to MA. I am on active duty orders in CT. I know military members can transport weapons across state lines... Any clarification would be greatly appreciated

Regardless of where your residency is, if you do not have either a MA FID card, or a resident or non-resident MA LTC, please leave them at home.

BTW, excepting specific circumstances regarding those who have houses in two states, you can only be a resident of ONE state... you can't choose whichever is convenient for that particular purpose. Active-duty military have some additional leeway, but this isn't one of those cases.

Trust what these people are saying do NOT bring anything over the border, my friend jerimiah from RI , got screwed over cause he was speeding, officer checked his glovebox found 3, 8 month old shells, and he got into this big legal battle over 3 spent shells...

No... since your destination is in MA, you are not permitted to bring any of your guns or ammunition to MA, unless...

Unless they are FID compliant long guns and ammo; non-residents don't need a license for that if they can legally have it in their home state.

You can't even posses magazines or ammo without an LTC.

You can't possess large capacity mags without an LTC in Mass., but 10 rounds or less are fine. Ammo is definitely fine if it's for a non-large capacity longgun they have with it, that they can legally possess in their home state.

What if i am a legal resident of MA. I have a MA drivers license and all my bills go to MA. I am on active duty orders in CT.

In that case it would be pretty hard to argue that you fall under the non-resident licensing exemptions I mentioned above.

I know military members can transport weapons across state lines...

A lot of people can do that legally with FOPA 86 (and often without it in most of the US). I'd do what the others recommend and don't bring any guns, holsters, ammo, mags, etc. into Mass. It's just not worth the hassle if you're stopped for some reason, and your particular residence status makes the issue even more complex.

The key to remember is that the cop on the side of the road most likely does not know the gun laws inside and out. You are not going to be arguing your point with him or her. You will be arrested, booked, bailed (hopefully) and then be forced to argue your case in court. Just not worth it. Figure $10,000+ to fight the charges. And lets not forget the press will have a field day with it here so figure your name will be Mudd afterwards.

If you are not a Mass resident or dont't have a non-res ltc, leave the guns/ammo/mags/shells/casings at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust what these people are saying do NOT bring anything over the border, my friend jerimiah from RI , got screwed over cause he was speeding, officer checked his glovebox found 3, 8 month old shells, and he got into this big legal battle over 3 spent shells...

There has to be MUCH more to this then that. What else did he do? There has to be if the cop searched the car. Just being stopped for speeding doesn't get you all that (search).

does your car have a trunk? MA hasn't started issuing cops x-ray glasses AFAIK.... if you're a MA res, get an FID, they are shall issue, and it beats the ammo possession issues (spent cases are considered ammo in MA, so the bullet keychain you bought at the PX can get you jammed up if the cop is a dick FYI...)

does your car have a trunk? MA hasn't started issuing cops x-ray glasses AFAIK.... if you're a MA res, get an FID, they are shall issue, and it beats the ammo possession issues (spent cases are considered ammo in MA, so the bullet keychain you bought at the PX can get you jammed up if the cop is a dick FYI...)

I have a question: did you read the OP?

To answer some of the questions that some of you are asking. Military members actually do have dual residency hence why i have a resident permit for concealed weapons. i do not own a CT house or drivers license. Since my active military base is here and my home of record is in another state then it gives me both.

Second i have an F150 so i dont technically have a trunk i have a bed with a tonneau cover. My bed currently has 4 tires in it, golf clubs and some other crap.

I appreciate the info you guys are posting on here. very informative.

I do not know why people are trying to say im breaking the law. If i had intent of breaking the law i would not have posted on here in the first place. i have no intent to do so whatsoever. i have not traveled up there and i posted on here to clarification before i did something illegal. I wanted to make sure there was no way i could do so before i got into trouble. If i had the time to do the proper research i would have but i dont. thats why these forums are created, so knowledgable can help out the people who dont know the laws as well. I really appreciate the laws, USC's and other pertinent information people are posting on here.

My guess is no. And, based on his response, I gather he also condones breaking the law as long as nobody notices. Pointless post.

It's a pointless question...

and I condone you breaking any law you want when no one's looking... And if you're doing something stupid and get caught, and they find you're breaking 8 other laws, hey... That's the chance you decided to take...

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

I do not know why people are trying to say im breaking the law.
Who said you were breaking the law? If you thought I did, that isn't what I was saying. I was saying that inerlogic was giving you advice that could cause you to be breaking the law.

It's a pointless question...

and I condone you breaking any law you want when no one's looking... And if you're doing something stupid and get caught, and they find you're breaking 8 other laws, hey... That's the chance you decided to take...

You can condone whatever you want. But to give someone advice that could cause them to break the law is just stupid...What was the point in your post? You didn't even answer any of the questions he had and you apparently didn't even read his original post.

You didn't even answer any of the questions he had and you apparently didn't even read his original post.

I did read the OP, on his way to MA, he's going to be picking up
his new gun, he knows he can't carry it, his question is about storage and transportation.... If something is transported in a secure locked box... WTF is your problem? Unless someone has a warrant to search his vehicle, or reason to believe they need to search it, there's no issue. Of course it's illegal, it's a stupid question to ask in the first place... but if you're going to do it, don't be an idiot and you'll be fine... Unless you have some moral objection to committing victimless crimes based on unconstitutional laws.

2A = RTKABA
4A = "what's in the trunk?" "NOYFB officer"

Last edited:
he got stopped for speeding and the officer asked to check inside his car and hes like sure, he reallly honestly forgot he had spent casings in his glove box..

I did read the OP, on his way to MA, he's going to be picking up
his new gun, he knows he can't carry it, his question is about storage and transportation.... If something is transported in a secure locked box... WTF is your problem? Unless someone has a warrant to search his vehicle, or reason to believe they need to search it, there's no issue. Of course it's illegal, it's a stupid question to ask in the first place... but if you're going to do it, don't be an idiot and you'll be fine... Unless you have some moral objection to committing victimless crimes based on unconstitutional laws.

2A = RTKABA
4A = "what's in the trunk?" "NOYFB officer"

Victimless crimes still land people in jail whether they are constitutional or not in your opinion. My "problem" is that he asked a specific question "is it legal for me to bring it with me to MA if i dont have a MA LTC?" because he obviously wasn't sure about the law. Your answer was basically "Who cares...stick it in your truck and tell any cop that asks to look in your truck to piss off". If he didn't care about the law he probably wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Wasn't someone asking the same question awhile back? IIRC the answer was if a member of the family has a LTC to meet him at the border before he enters Ma. If no one has an LTC in the family follow the advice leave your weapons/ammo at home,yeah it sucks but so does spending time in prison.

he got stopped for speeding and the officer asked to check inside his car and hes like sure, he reallly honestly forgot he had spent casings in his glove box..

His critical mistake was consenting to a search. If he had politely declined the search, he would have been fine. Granted, declining the search probably guarantees the officer won't be lenient with the ticket, so I can understand why he decided to consent.

My "problem" is that he asked a specific question "is it legal for me to bring it with me to MA if i dont have a MA LTC?"

actually, he asked TWO specific questions.

My question is, is it legal for me to bring it with me to MA if i don't have a MA LTC? I obviously understand it could not be loaded or on my person. So could i bring it if i have the magazine in a locked case and the gun in a separate locked case?

it takes less time to do a google search for the applicable MA laws, than it does to join and post on a forum where you get people's opinions, rather than the facts of the law...

there are TWO questions above if smcnally bothers to read the post (which he's accused me 2 or 3 times of not doing)

the FIRST question is, "is it legal?" that can be answered by google in less than 1.5 seconds.

the second question is "So could i bring it if i have the magazine in a locked case and the gun in a separate locked case?"
yes, you could, and if anyone asks what's in the big black locked box, tell 'em it's your mother's silverware, it's a locked F-ing box,
as long as it doesn't say "COLT HANDGUN INSIDE" on the box, the only way someone would know what's in it, is if you tell them.

Via Google: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131G
Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

if you're a resident of the commonwealth, you need a permit.
if you're a resident of CT with a valid license, i'll meet you at the range and we'll have a shooting competition.
is your CT license a RESIDENT license, or is it a non-resident license?
don't know how you could get a resident license in CT if you're not a resident...
you also can't buy a handgun in CT if you're a MA resident (no one mentioned that i don't think) you'd have to buy it in CT at an FFL and have that FFL ship it to a MA FFL, and the MA FFL is only going to sell it to you (likely) if it is MA compliant, and if you have a valid MA LTC.

if you're STATIONED in CT as a member of the military, CT does not require you to change your MA license for a CT one....
doesn't mean you're not a CT resident... i wouldn't want to explain the finer points of that to the morons with the blue lights on the side of the road, so don't get pulled over and don't say "oh, by the way, the box you can't see in the bed of my truck because it's under the tonneau cover has a handgun in it that i may or may not have bought illegally in CT."

According to CT licensing bureau I can have a license to carry concealed because active duty military are allowed to have residency as stated before. My gun is bought in ct legally. I bought a sig through their individual officer program and was shipped to Mass (sig dealer) and then sent to an authorized dealer in Ct. I plan on getting my LTC in mass but it is difficult to attend the interview in my hometown when I dont have time off during the week. Lastly, I asked this question for clarification on the law. Not because I was lazy. I wanted to make sure I was following all rules and regulations. Again thanks for the information

There has to be MUCH more to this then that. What else did he do? There has to be if the cop searched the car. Just being stopped for speeding doesn't get you all that (search).

If the shells were in the glove compartment, they'd probably be visible when getting out the reg. & insurance info with or without a search. Plain view is fair game.

To answer some of the questions that some of you are asking. Military members actually do have dual residency hence why i have a resident permit for concealed weapons. i do not own a CT house or drivers license. Since my active military base is here and my home of record is in another state then it gives me both.

18 USC 921(b) gives them residency in the state where their permanent duty station is, which is not dual residency, especially when it comes to buying guns.

If something is transported in a secure locked box... WTF is your problem? Unless someone has a warrant to search his vehicle, or reason to believe they need to search it, there's no issue. Of course it's illegal, it's a stupid question to ask in the first place... but if you're going to do it, don't be an idiot and you'll be fine... Unless you have some moral objection to committing victimless crimes based on unconstitutional laws.

The OP wasn't asking how to break the law, he was asking how to comply with it.

Wasn't someone asking the same question awhile back? IIRC the answer was if a member of the family has a LTC to meet him at the border before he enters Ma.

It's possible, they'd have to retain possession of it the whole time he was in Mass. though.

it takes less time to do a google search for the applicable MA laws, than it does to join and post on a forum where you get people's opinions, rather than the facts of the law...

Anything you can learn about MGL that quickly is probably wrong. [laugh][wink]

is your CT license a RESIDENT license, or is it a non-resident license?
don't know how you could get a resident license in CT if you're not a resident...

CT doesn't differentiate between residents and non-residents on the state permit. CT law only mentions non-residents to explain where they can apply for it.

GSG thanks for the last post to kind of clear the air for me. As for the answer to jaguars question, i have a very busy work schedule and dont get alot of time off. i try and catch up on sleep and workout when i do get a day off. the problem is when i come back to CT the dealer will be closed and it is quite the drive from where i live. thats why i asked the original question.

If the shells were in the glove compartment, they'd probably be visible when getting out the reg. & insurance info with or without a search. Plain view is fair game.

I don't know what your glove compartment looks like, but most are jamed packed full of crap. 3 casings, at the bottom of the compartment would be lost forever, let alone being seen from outside the car.

Back
Top Bottom