Traveling to New Jersey

Howdy This coming January I am going to be taking a road trip with my wife from Houston Texas to New Jersey to see her sister. Most of the states we are traveling through have reciprocity with Texas CHL however I know Maryland and New Jersey don't. My question is about any extra rules those states might have while I am there. I do know that the federal law states that you have to have the firearm and the ammo in either separate compartments (ie trunk) or if I do not have a trunk in the case of an SUV that I have it in locked containers. Do ya'll know anything else I need to be aware of? Thank you and feel free to email me if you want.

If your destination is NJ, you are NOT covered by FOPA...

18 U.S.C. 926A

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

...since you cannot "lawfully possess and carry such firearm" in NJ.

In NJ basically everything is illegal unless you have the permits from the state. NJ has ZERO reciprocity with anyone, so your permits from any other states are functionally meaningless. It's like MA but worse. If you bring firearms into NJ for a "visit" you will be breaking the law. FOPA only covers pass throughs.

-Mike

Under N.J.S. 2C:39-5, possession of ALL firearms is prohibited unless one has a NJ permit to carry a handgun or a NJ Firearm Purchaser ID card for long guns. Even if one possesses these licenses, under N.J.S. 2C:39-2b one is presumed not to be licensed until proven otherwise. Unless you have the proper permits, you cannot legally even physically have a firearm within the state, regardless of how many lock boxes it's secured within.

Maybe not Fair Lawn is farther from the border than I thought. Good thing I started thinking this through now instead of later.

Is there a group or org that I can donate to, to help fight the good fight? I have done so for a California board with their campaign against unjust or crazy laws.

Back
Top Bottom