traveling through NY question.

wiskie762

Instructor
NES Member
Ok so me and a friend are planing a trip out to cmp to hand pick our M1 Garands ( and just experience the trip out there.) Looking around march. My question is how would one go about driving back through with the rifles, does the M1 Garand violate the NY safe act or should i just pay to ship it back.

Thanks

If unloaded and trigger locked in a truck doesn't cover your bases then our country is lost. Im sure some one will come along with a better reply shortly.

Personally,I would just mail them to yourself. Just to not have to think about it. That being said, when I moved down here last year I just drove w/ all my hardware. I hated every second of NY and NJ. My ******* didn't unclench until PA. Not to mention having to stick to the speed limit definitely made it a much longer trip. It added about 3 hrs.

In the past 20 years I have driven through 30+ states. I have been pulled over once (Mass) and had the car searched zero times. The odds of you getting pulled over AND having the car searched are just about the same as hitting the lottery (unless you drive like a douchebag).

If unloaded and trigger locked in a truck doesn't cover your bases then our country is lost. Im sure some one will come along with a better reply shortly.

I suggest reading the laws prior to giving advice on them.

FOPA has only been Federal Law since 1986. I don't expect many LEOs to know the details of that law (they aren't taught Federal Law in municipal police academies), but I would hope that people here that travel interstate or desire to do so would spend a few minutes reading that law.

Trigger locks will buy you nothing wrt meeting FOPA compliance!

Locked case in the trunk and any ammo in a separate case (wise to lock it, but not required by FOPA) . . . this is what FOPA requires for compliance.

I won't address the wisdom of driving thru NY/NJ with any firearms since both states have given people problems in the past.

In the past 20 years I have driven through 30+ states. I have been pulled over once (Mass) and had the car searched zero times. The odds of you getting pulled over AND having the car searched are just about the same as hitting the lottery (unless you drive like a douchebag).
Just don't do anything stupid like have any part of any state's gun license visible when you open you wallet, as it can lead to questions.

You better double check that they have them before you go. I ordered one in august and the website said the cmp stores dont have any on the racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drive through the communist states of ny and nj all the time with firearms. I lock each one and then lock them in my lock tool crate. I keep mags and ammo seperately locked up and sometimes even remove the bolts. Done that for over 12 years ive been pulled over Zero times. Probably cause I drive normally and not like im driving in Afghanistan under imminent attack.

Sent from the blind

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

I drive through the communist states of ny and nj all the time with firearms. I lock each one and then lock them in my lock tool crate. I keep mags and ammo seperately locked up and sometimes even remove the bolts. Done that for over 12 years ive been pulled over Zero times. Probably cause I drive normally and not like im driving in Afghanistan under imminent attack.

Sent from the blind

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

FYI, shortest route thru NY state is I-84 from Matamoras PA to Danbury CT

This. Just inspect vehicle (lights tires etc) buckle down, keep shit out of sight, and dont drive poorly and you wont have a problem. This is not rocket science.

IIRC New York State does not require a license to possess a rifle or a shotgun, only pistols and revolvers. An M1 is not considered an assault rifle under the state's ban and it's capacity does not exceed 10 rounds (regardless of the fact it does not have a detachable magazine)!. So you're go to go.

The five boroughs of New York City do require a license to possess rifles and shotguns.

In any event your trip would be covered under FOPA unless you got stopped in one of those counties that routinely violates the intent of that federal law. Westchester was one that used to do that though a trooper I know down there now says they have stopped doing that.

Enjoy the trip! CMP in Ohio is on my to do list. Why order by mail when you can pick out your own rifle in Ohio and even gauge the barrel before buying it!

If you do get pulled over do not say "ive got a shitload of guns and ammo in the trunk is that cool"

Sent from the blind

Crank up this on your way through NY.....

Or this is probably more appropriate.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom