Traveling Through Multiple States

Hi everyone! I live in RI right now, and in June will be driving to Missouri for a week. I would like to bring my R51 pistol with me. I’m trying to make sense of the laws in certain states like NY and IL. PA is a little confusing. My route will take me through RI, either CT or MA, then NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, and finally MO. I have heard that NY in particular ignores FOPA, but you’re fine as long as you don’t bring any “assault weapons” and you get a NY permit? There’s a lot to consider so I’m trying to figure it out now rather than a mere month beforehand

I’m aware of the search function. But some of these threads are years old now, and may be out of date. And it would also be useful to have everything in one place

Hi everyone! I live in RI right now, and in June will be driving to Missouri for a week. I would like to bring my R51 pistol with me. I’m trying to make sense of the laws in certain states like NY and IL. PA is a little confusing. My route will take me through RI, either CT or MA, then NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, and finally MO. I have heard that NY in particular ignores FOPA, but you’re fine as long as you don’t bring any “assault weapons” and you get a NY permit? There’s a lot to consider so I’m trying to figure it out now rather than a mere month beforehand

You have better luck finding a unicorn on top of a rainbow.

Hi everyone! I live in RI right now, and in June will be driving to Missouri for a week. I would like to bring my R51 pistol with me.
  1. Will you be licensed in Missouri? If not, don't even think of taking it.
  2. Don't even think of stopping at state lines to either wear or lock up the gun depending on whether you have reciprocity there.

Are you carrying it on your hood? Is it blowing a whistle? Put it in your trunk and obey the speed limit. Instead of posting on a forum of 5000 people and telling them, keep quite about it. How hard is it to travel with a friggin gun?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Just carry concealed, keep a low profile and stay away from questionable areas. If you end up using your weapon to save your life you'll have more to worry about than whether or not a legal, licensed gun owner from Mass has broken a law in another state. If you're still worried about it leave the gun home and bring some pepper spray and a bat. You'll probably still be violating some local law but it's better than getting killed.

Are you carrying it on your hood? Is it blowing a whistle?
030613Deer.jpg

Instead of posting on a forum of 5000 people and telling them, keep quite about it. How hard is it to travel with a friggin gun?
Really hard for people who can't STFU.

1. Will you be licensed in Missouri? If not, don't even think of taking it.
  2. Don't even think of stopping at state lines to either wear or lock up the gun depending on whether you have reciprocity there.
Doesn’t MO have permitless carry now?

Back
Top Bottom