Travel to ME with a MA CCW?

I am a MA CCW holder. I rarely travel to ME, but I've been invited visit some friends in ME. I would like to bring my carry gun with me, as I'm unfamiillar with the area, and will also be travelling at night. Is there any way that I could do this legally? I will be travelling from point to point, and my destination is private property, if that makes any difference. I did look at the ME section of PACKING, but honestly, it's very confusing. Any information you could let me in on would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim3256

I wouldn't suggest it.... the only thing I believe you can to is travel through a state if going to a "match". Maine is real easy to get a NonRes CCW license.

You need a ME CCW to be legal. No New England state (that issues permits) has reciprocity with any other New England state, so your MA LTC is useless in ME (or NH, CT, RI).

You can bring firearms into Maine without any problems for matches, hunting or recreational shooting. But, to carry concealed or keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle you need a CCW. Otherwise all firearms should be unloaded and in a locked case or trunk. As Lugnut said, non-res CCW should be easy to get, especially if you hold an LTC-A in MA.

I wouldn't suggest it.... the only thing I believe you can to is travel through a state if going to a "match". Maine is real easy to get a NonRes CCW license.

For non-CCW purpouses Maine is "free by default". One does not need
an "excuse" for having unloaded guns in their trunk in ME, VT, or
NH. There may be slightly varying storage regs/nonlimitations for the
unloaded guns, but aside from that, one does not need to
have a "reason" to merely have guns while traveling within the borders
of those states.

The only states which need "excuses", eg, invoking FOPA and the
like, are all ones you want to stay away from anyways. MA, NY, NJ,
etc are all notoriously bad... and they're also bad at ignoring the
applicability of FOPA. (Try getting stuck at logan with guns without
having a license in hand... sheer unadaulterated crap)

There are probably less than a dozen states that are not "free by
default". Most of them allow "mere posession" of guns and ammo
without a license. Obviously the restrictions for use increase if the
guns are going to be loaded for any reason.

One major caveat to this though is... watch out for states that DO NOT
have state level preemption on gun laws. Illinois, for instance, is a huge
patchwork of garbage. One moment you could be legal, drive into a town
that bans handguns and you're not.

-Mike

Don't forget to mention that if you're going to be going through NH to get to ME, you should get a NH Non-Res permit as well.

I haven't got ME yet, but NH took me 20 bucks and a total of 7 days to have it mailed and back to me license in hand.

Don't forget to mention that if you're going to be going through NH to get to ME, you should get a NH Non-Res permit as well.

I haven't got ME yet, but NH took me 20 bucks and a total of 7 days to have it mailed and back to me license in hand.

An excellent point...It never hurts to have one so that you may CCW in NH. I have my Maine CCW permit, and it was relatively easy to get. Call them up, have the application mailed to you. IIRC, it was $60 or so and they are good for 4 years. The only problem is that they have to inform you of approval or denial within 60 days of receiving the application, and it took ALL 60 days for mine. I called once to "make sure there wasn't anything else they needed," and she said that they were still waiting to hear back from my local PD. Go figure.

I am a MA CCW holder. I rarely travel to ME, but I've been invited visit some friends in ME. I would like to bring my carry gun with me, as I'm unfamiillar with the area, and will also be travelling at night. Is there any way that I could do this legally? I will be travelling from point to point, and my destination is private property, if that makes any difference. I did look at the ME section of PACKING, but honestly, it's very confusing. Any information you could let me in on would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim3256

I guess I didn't give all the necessary information. I do have my MA LTC class A, and also a NH non-res CCW permit; but I do not need to CCW either during the trip, or at the destination. I simply wish to bring the gun (unloaded, with gun and ammo separately and securely stored) so that I will have it for private range use on private property. Another thing, I am travelling by van, (no trunk) so if what I propose is legal...what can I do to make the gun "inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle"?

Please only respond if you are absolutely positive you are correct, I don't wish to jeopardize my future ability to CCW. Thank you.

Tim

get a good lockable gun case a length of chain and a padlock
attach the case to a seat with the chain out of sight of prying eyes.If you have storage under the seats put it there out of sight out of mind

No you weren't clear at all!

I'd still recommend checking ME laws on lawful transport of a firearm. That should be your guide. Highlander's recommendation sounds good, although the chain and padlock aren't probably required.

Nothing beats checking the actual laws applicable in the state in question however.

If the state law says "X", especially in MA, I will try to go an extra step to avoid any problems if I should be pulled over by the state or local constabulary

No you weren't clear at all!

I'd still recommend checking ME laws on lawful transport of a firearm. That should be your guide. Highlander's recommendation sounds good, although the chain and padlock aren't probably required.

Nothing beats checking the actual laws applicable in the state in question however.

Sorry about the confusion...this trip is kind of "out of the blue" and I've got alot going on getting ready. Also, I do plan on contacting the ME State Police to be sure, but I figured I'd ask you guys first to see if it was even in the realm of possibility. Thank you all for the replies.

Tim

Also it is legal to Open carry in Maine. Of course I wouldn't recomend it for any number of reasons, the biggest of wich was Mike Chitwood (Portland COP) confiscated a legal handgun from a citizen in the early 90's. I was young at the time, but I don't remember anything serious comming of it for Chitwood (the man with the gun picked it up the next day...with another gun on his hip +1!!!)

But Chitwood retired only recently, so it shows the climate of Southern Maine....

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom