• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Travel to Georgia

Hi all,
I will be driving to Georgia next week and wanted to bring my Weatherby long gun to my brother's farm. I know there is no reciprocity for Mass LTC in Georgia but are there any restrictions for traveling with a long gun across state lines, other than the unloaded weapon in a locked hard case not in the cab?

Keep a printed copy of FOPA in your vehicle and follow the laws of FOPA.

NY and NJ have proven to not give a crap and charge people anyways so be a good driver and try not to get pulled over in those states.

Take the western route. Follow I-84 to I-81 South to Harrisburg PA.
Go to I-83 to the Baltimore Beltway around to I-95 South.
You will go thru Mass, Conn, about 50 miles thru NY State
missing NJ entirely. Maryland is anti too.

This Route also misses all the tolls on I-95. You only hit the Mass Pike
headed South. Then coming home you have the Conn River Bridge $1.75
and the Mass Pike again. It is an extra hour of driving but staying out of
the Traffic and tolls on I-95 it is worth the Gas and time and you are still
ahead , money wise.

Malodave

NY and NJ have proven to not give a crap and charge people anyways so be a good driver and try not to get pulled over in those states.
do not go into NJ or MD at all. Only go thru NY state for 30 minutes until you get to PA, and do not stop in NY for anything

Drive safe in NY, NJ till you reach Virginia and follow FOPA.
If you have a Utah LTC, Georgia recognizes their license.
Firearms License Reciprocity
It is a "Long Gun" You know a rifle? I don't think they require government issued permission slips in Georgia for long guns. The whole world is not MasSuckChusetts.

I only mentioned it because he has family there and may want to carry a pistol.
Driving to Georgia, get in car and follow the same rules as if you were in MA.
Nope, but the whole world ain't New Hampshire either.
There are better states than our beloved NH.
Give it time and your little utopia will be just like MA. [rofl2]

Hi all,
I will be driving to Georgia next week and wanted to bring my Weatherby long gun to my brother's farm. I know there is no reciprocity for Mass LTC in Georgia but are there any restrictions for traveling with a long gun across state lines, other than the unloaded weapon in a locked hard case not in the cab?

FOPA says that you can transport a firearm through states as long as the possession of that firearm is legal in the origin and destination. Under FOPA, you're correct that unloaded weapon must be secured and not accessible to driver, with ammo stored separately.

You mention Mass LTC, (and you're correct that there's no reciprocity), so I'm assuming you can legally possess that long gun in in Massachusetts and that you're leaving from there. I'm also assuming that you're not a prohibited person under Mass or Federal law, (again because of the mention of Mass LTC).

If the above two sentences are correct, then you can legally possess that long gun in Georgia.

If you're legal in MA, and you're legal in GA, and you're traveling from MA to GA, then the answer to your question is "NO". There are no legal restrictions for transporting that long arm across state lines.

You don't need a reciprocal permit in Georgia; Georgia isn't Massachusetts. You can have firearms without any paperwork or license. You can have those firearms in your vehicle. What you can't do in Georgia without a weapons permit is CARRY a handgun in public. You can openly carry a long gun, you can have an unloaded firearm in a case, you can carry a firearm while hunting or fishing.

So - then you get into realities. I live in GA, I generally summer in CT. I have a GA resident permit and a CT non-resident permit. I travel between the two states with firearms. Not the same circumstances as you, but some similarities.

I can legally transport firearms through NY and NJ. I don't travel through those states, (except for a brief pass-through of NY) because I've heard too many stories about them not honoring FOPA. NJ also has prohibitions for hollowpoint ammo - and my defensive loads are hollowpoints - FOPA won't cover that.

I'll bite. What's better about Kentucky? (Actual, not omg mass politics are going to take over NH)

I didn't say anything was better, I said in response to Kalash's response that he obviously has not heard of Kentucky which has absolutely no restrictions on guns. You can own, possess, carry, buy sell or trade anything firearms related including all NFA here in Kentucky without restriction, ( with obvious NFA registration of applicable devices that applies to every state including NH).
Home/residential FFL's are legal and prevalent here with no zoning BS, open carry is not an issue, concealed carry is not an issue ( we also have constitutional carry like NH ), personal sales of firearms or ammunition are not controlled by law, purchase/sale/quantity in possession of ammunition or components is not regulated by law, transportation and vehicular storage are not prohibited by law.

We can hunt on Sundays, and we can use suppressors while hunting......there is one thing firearm related that Kentucky has that NH does not.

My point was not to disparage NH but to point out that there are numerous places ( Kentucky being one ) that meet or exceed NH's gun freedoms.

Take the western route. Follow I-84 to I-81 South to Harrisburg PA.
Go to I-83 to the Baltimore Beltway around to I-95 South.
You will go thru Mass, Conn, about 50 miles thru NY State
missing NJ entirely. Maryland is anti too.

This Route also misses all the tolls on I-95. You only hit the Mass Pike
headed South. Then coming home you have the Conn River Bridge $1.75
and the Mass Pike again. It is an extra hour of driving but staying out of
the Traffic and tolls on I-95 it is worth the Gas and time and you are still
ahead , money wise.

Malodave

this is a very scenic route compared to grinding down I-95 the whole way down

depending on where in Georgia 90/84/81/77 then go from Charlotte in whatever direction you need to go

Unloaded, ammo away from the gun, put the gun in the trunk, stay off 95 north of NC

And if you get pulled over and the cop asks if you have any weapons, quickly reach into the glove box to retrieve the FOPA print out. The quicker the better because cops aint got time to waste.

Just kidding dont do what I said

Back
Top Bottom