Travel out of Logan with suppressors

It’s 10pm. Do you know where your suppressors are? Mine are in the safe and are staying there. Not going to wait a year to replace them.

Firearms should never be locked with a TSA approved lock but with one that only you can open. Is this different for suppressors?
According to the TSA itself, “You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.”

The real world reason I recommend TSA locks is that while TSA is supposed to demand you open the a locked firearms case instead of opening it themselves, they don’t always do so. Should they cut off or break your lock, not only can’t you recover damages, but now you are traveling with an unsecured case.

According to the TSA itself, “You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.”

The real world reason I recommend TSA locks is that while TSA is supposed to demand you open the a locked firearms case instead of opening it themselves, they don’t always do so. Should they cut off or break your lock, not only can’t you recover damages, but now you are traveling with an unsecured case.
Yeah, no thanks bro.
No one but the owner is supposed to have access to the gun.

The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted.

Ship/Fedex it to your destination with your name as the addressee with signature required and insurance. Assuming it's legal at the destination state.

Yeah, I’d rather bring a spare lock than give anyone with a TSA key access to my guns.
Exactly. Pack a couple of locks in the carry on in case you arrive to your destination and find out TSA cut your locks.

Just wondering, if that happens, what do you do?
Is there a way to file a complaint?

Exactly. Pack a couple of locks in the carry on in case you arrive to your destination and find out TSA cut your locks.

Just wondering, if that happens, what do you do?
Is there a way to file a complaint?
They tell you to go pound sand. TSA has f***ed one of my locks before.

You only open the case for the agent, use any lock you like. You then go to TSA and they X-Ray it to be sure it’s unloaded, TSA doesn’t open the case.

I feel like a lot of people who have never flown with firearms and silencers had a lot of opinions in this thread.

Yeah, no thanks bro.
No one but the owner is supposed to have access to the gun.
+1. Cameras and valuable electronics go missing all the time from TSA locked bags.

They scan and look for valuables. A Chicago hub baggage bro ain’t gonna think twice at grabbing that gun and locking your case back up.

I frequently travel from NH, THROUGH Mass , and back into NH to get to Pelham . To my FOPA understanding your are granted safe lawfull passage through all states reguardless of legal or not, provided you are traveling FROM as state where your items are lawful , and your final ending destination where as your items are legal. Educate me if I have this incorrect.

I frequently travel from NH, THROUGH Mass , and back into NH to get to Pelham . To my FOPA understanding your are granted safe lawfull passage through all states reguardless of legal or not, provided you are traveling FROM as state where your items are lawful , and your final ending destination where as your items are legal. Educate me if I have this incorrect.
Problem is FOPA is unclear to the extent of items covered. That being said I know totally unwashed people that otherwise FOPA-lawfully transited guns through Logan with no issues.

This is where FOPA is a steaming pile of dogshit as written.

There is nothing written in FOPA that protects the traveler in regards to magazines, ammunition or any other accessories that may be classified differently than a firearm. Especially in MA where a FID or LTS is needed for even spent casings.

Your best bet is to keep everything secured and locked. Toss a blanket or something over everything and keep it out of sight.
Drive the speed limit and under no circumstances talk about firearms or give consent to a search.

Last edited:
+1. Cameras and valuable electronics go missing all the time from TSA locked bags.

They scan and look for valuables. A Chicago hub baggage bro ain’t gonna think twice at grabbing that gun and locking your case back up.
When I travel my guns are secured to the frame of the luggage by a plastic coated steel cable and decent quality padlock. Unless the handler had a bolt cutter or grinder, the gun is not getting pocketed.

I have never heard of someone transiting Logan having the police called for a "legality check" when someone declares a firearm in checked baggage. This does appear to be common in NY state airports - and not just those in/near NYC.

Let me speak from Experience.

HuntMaine, you are risking a felony conviction with a multi-year sentence to be served (obviously you would be then a Prohibited Person for life also with said conviction) with a plan to bring a suppressor into Massachusetts (or as another respondent said having your aircraft diverted to another state that prohibits suppressors puts you in about the same legal Jeopardy, and jail sentence potential)

There is a very simple solution and one which I availed of in September 2022 with my successful moose hunt in Alaska. I shipped the suppressor via FEDEX to myself from NH Fedex location to Alaska, and it was there at my friends house when I arrived five days later (He is also a beneficiary on the NH NFA Trust on which the suppressor was purchased). After my hunt I reversed this and sent it back to NH and it arrived two days after I came back.

Total cost both ways inclusive was around $80. (plus I also put an Apple Air Tag in the box and tracked it all the way there and back, which is reusable and not really necessary)

Only you can decide what your appetite for profile is (Risk favorable or Risk Adverse). I am risk adverse and so the $80 FEDEX solution was an easy answer, but "your milage may vary".......just make your decision based on your circumstances, and don't let others including myself out here on a forum influence your decision, which you will have to live with.

Also I have travelled domestically and internationally (CA and Europe on multiple occasions) with Firearms since 2012 and I have been asked to meet with the TSA after they have screened my Firearms case TWICE to tell them exactly what is in my case.......so it may not be wise to assume that TSA are not up to date on what is Legal or not from both a State and Federal POV. PM me if you more specifics on this but it sure raised my Blood Pressure even though I was 100% sure I had no issues, and was not at all enjoyable.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom