Travel out of Logan with suppressors

Anyone know if you can travel out of Logan with suppressors with your firearms ? I know they are banned in Mass but if you own them in a nearby state legally I’m wondering if you can fly out of Logan with them. Have someone mooning me on a hunt down south and he asked and I had no idea so figured I’d ask here

I don’t know if you can, but I have. I’m still here.

ETA- I had it in its sock with my rifle, the people at the check in were so focused on my rifle that it didn’t even come up. I had my trust and stamp with me.

Also had standard cap mags for my sidearm. No issues.

Flew to Texas and back.

Thinking more, does FOPA cover suppressors in states where they’re banned except for FFLs? Your mags I know aren’t covered by FOPA.

Seems like it’s a gray area, I couldn’t find anything specific when I researched.

The only thing I found out for certain is that unlike an sbr you don’t need to notify the atf if you’re crossing state lines with a can. They don’t care.

I would call a lawyer and pay for 30min of his time if necessary. It will be a lot cheaper than finding out at the airport.

Although, I would expect FOPA to cover it, you are traveling through.

You need permission in advance from the ATF to take SBRs out of state. I think it's the same for suppressors. Nope, free travel to states where they are allowed

Last edited:
It's in the "not illegal if you dont get caught" category, lmao.

Be aware that the penalty is like death or some bullshit in mass though, if caught. Odds are not very likely of it being a problem if it goes checked with the gun but who knows.

Where does it say that?

Where does FOPA say gun accessories are covered? Seems like it’s a grey area at best, and black and white “no” in NJ for example (yes, I know the question wasn’t about NJ).

You need permission in advance from the ATF to take SBRs out of state. I think it's the same for suppressors.

This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered National Firearms Act (NFA) machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate.

Where does FOPA say gun accessories are covered? Seems like it’s a grey area at best, and black and white “no” in NJ for example (yes, I know the question wasn’t about NJ).
A silencer is not an accessory, they are classified as a firearm and treated the same.

Anyone know if you can travel out of Logan with suppressors with your firearms ? I know they are banned in Mass but if you own them in a nearby state legally I’m wondering if you can fly out of Logan with them. Have someone mooning me on a hunt down south and he asked and I had no idea so figured I’d ask here
For purposes of FOPA, the term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

So in theory, as long as you keep your suppressor in a case locked with TSA-approved locks, declare it as you check it, and travel to a sane area where you are allowed to possess it, you are within the letter of the law. In the real world, I wouldn't trust the gate agents, TSA, or MSP's F-troop to know that. So even if you have copies of your paperwork, your tax stamp, and 27 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, there's all too real a chance you'll be detained long enough to miss your flight.

You need permission in advance from the ATF to take SBRs out of state. I think it's the same for suppressors. Nope, free travel to states where they are allowed
I think it's form 5320.20

The only exemption for civilian possession in MA is 07 licensed manufacturer.

Even if you fly out of a free state, your plane could be diverted. So always need to factor in that possibility. What a dumb society we live in that we have to think about this stuff.

Even if you fly out of a free state, your plane could be diverted. So always need to factor in that possibility. What a dumb society we live in that we have to think about this stuff.
Are you supposed to grab your checked bags when diverted or do they stay in storage somewhere?

I have never been in a diverted situation.

Last edited:
Are you supposed to grab your checked in bags when diverted or do they stay in storage somewhere?

I have never been in a diverted situation.

From what I’ve heard in NY airports they have cops waiting to grab you if you take the luggage, so leave it. Make it the airlines problem.

If you’re in a free state just take your bag and go to your hotel or whatever,

So in theory, as long as you keep your suppressor in a case locked with TSA-approved locks, declare it as you check it, and travel to a sane area where you are allowed to possess it, you are within the letter of the law.
Firearms should never be locked with a TSA approved lock but with one that only you can open. Is this different for suppressors?

Back
Top Bottom