Travel from MA to South Carolina ?

No address on a current FL CWP (res or non-res, they look the same), however, without a FL drivers license it would be hard to show you're a FL resident. I wouldn't attempt to carry in SC on my FL CWP.

Yes, your address is now stored in the database. Completely slipped my mind, bah.

Unfortunately, no way to legally carry in SC for a MA resident, unless you have a SC permit, which requires residency or owning property there. SC only honors resident permits for the states they honor, and MA LTC isn't one of them.

This is very interesting. My first instinct was that this has to be wrong. But I spent some time poking on the SC SLED web site and then finally called the SLED phone number and spoke to a gentleman who told me the only way to get a non-res permit is if you own property in SC.

He also told me that I could carry a loaded handgun in my car without any kind of permit and that the permit was only necessary to carry on my person.

Don

This is very interesting. My first instinct was that this has to be wrong. But I spent some time poking on the SC SLED web site and then finally called the SLED phone number and spoke to a gentleman who told me the only way to get a non-res permit is if you own property in SC.

He also told me that I could carry a loaded handgun in my car without any kind of permit and that the permit was only necessary to carry on my person.

Don

Yep. This is why it's such a big deal that SC just added GA to its list of reciprocity states. SC's basic rule is that they'll only do reciprocity with states whose requirements are similar to their own, and they require training while GA doesn't. GA and SC have miles of shared border and people cross that border daily for work, shopping, whatever. It was only about two, maybe three weeks ago that the SC governor signed the paperwork to accept GA permits. I've been looking into group-purchasing a plot of land in SC so that I could get a non-resident SC permit, because they don't accept any non-resident permits, and they didn't accept GA. Huge problem solved for me...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...nizes-Georgia-Permit-as-of-Friday-June-5-2016

Was it you I PMd with a year or so ago about your kid starting at Winthrop U? If so PM me next time you're heading down. Winthrop is 10-15 min from me. We could meet up in Rock Hill for a few beers or sling some lead on my range.

Will pm

You could always find a friendly FFL in VA to ship it back for you. Many FFLs in MA receive/transfer for $20-30. Depending on what the VA FFL charges to ship it, you may be able to get it done for under $100 all together.

I know. I hate to leave it home for the entire trip, just because of MD.

Nah, just store in compliance with FOPA and make sure you don't have any brake lights, etc., out and drive the speed limit through CT, NY and MD and all will be fine. That said, I'd still avoid NJ...they have the worst rep for trying to jam people up, so just not worth the risk when it's so easy to bypass that cesspool. I went 84 to 81 to 77 on my way to FL this spring and it was a good ride. And by going I-81 you're only in MD for maybe 12 miles before you hit WV. WV and south was clear sailing for carry with the permits I have (execept SC, of course).

You could always find a friendly FFL in VA to ship it back for you. Many FFLs in MA receive/transfer for $20-30. Depending on what the VA FFL charges to ship it, you may be able to get it done for under $100 all together.

Guys, you need to differentiate between carry and transport. The OP's questions were about carry along the trip, not transport. Like I said above. Carry is difficult. Transport is easy.

NOTHING is a problem if you just want to transport it. Pack it in the trunk, in a locked container if you have a SUV or wagon, and just go. Keep it unloaded and you are fine for transport per FOPA. I don't know of a single instance of someone having trouble while driving through NY, NJ, or MD.

Don

p.s. Progun - CT is not a problem at all for any kind of transport. Never has been.

Guys, you need to differentiate between carry and transport. The OP's questions were about carry along the trip, not transport. Like I said above. Carry is difficult. Transport is easy.

NOTHING is a problem if you just want to transport it. Pack it in the trunk, in a locked container if you have a SUV or wagon, and just go. Keep it unloaded and you are fine for transport per FOPA. I don't know of a single instance of someone having trouble while driving through NY, NJ, or MD.

Don

p.s. Progun - CT is not a problem at all for any kind of transport. Never has been.

Now go back and read the thread, at least through page 2 this time, and realize that we are now responding to Woodsie831 having said
I'm driving to VA in August. And stopping over one night, on the way back, in Baltimore to catch a sox game. I'm trying to figure out a plan too. I have MA Res and NH and Utah NR

We already addressed the OP's carry issue and beat it to death in regard to his not being able to carry in SC, where he could carry and what licenses he would need and what rout he should take. We have since moved on to the second topic. Which incidentally is why I quoted exactly which post I was responding to.

Back
Top Bottom