• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Travel from MA to South Carolina ?

PeterC

NES Member
Hi All,

Ok, sometime this coming fall I'd like to take a trip (driving) from MA to South Carolina. What licenses would I need to get in order to legally carry (concealed) most of the way (of course avoiding NY, NJ as much as possible) and, most importantly, after I get there ?

Florida ? Utah ? Both ? Other ?

Thanks,

Peter

Here is a good start.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

But Utah is honored in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Florida is honored in:
Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, ...

Unfortunately, no way to legally carry in SC for a MA resident, unless you have a SC permit, which requires residency or owning property there. SC only honors resident permits for the states they honor, and MA LTC isn't one of them.

Unfortunately, no way to legally carry in SC for a MA resident, unless you have a SC permit, which requires residency or owning property there. SC only honors resident permits for the states they honor, and MA LTC isn't one of them.

They do honor florida

Ugh. If all you have now is a MA resident, you're pretty screwed for a trip south. NC is the only state between you and SC that recognizes your permit. WV recently went constitutional carry so you're ok there with anything. UT non-res will get you VA in addition. FL won't get you anything more. SC doesn't honor anything except resident permits, and MA is not one of them.

Sounds like you're going to have to depend on the FOPA, keep the gun locked up somewhere and hope you don't get stopped in NY or NJ.

Check this out: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

And also read up on FOPA.

One other note on SC (I drove through in April and researched it, but IANAL): You can keep a loaded holstered handgun in a center console. Not much use if you're staying in SC, but helpful for someone just driving through.

Hi All,

Ok, sometime this coming fall I'd like to take a trip (driving) from MA to South Carolina. What licenses would I need to get in order to legally carry (concealed) most of the way (of course avoiding NY, NJ as much as possible) and, most importantly, after I get there ?

Florida ? Utah ? Both ? Other ?

Thanks,

Peter

You can't carry in SC without a CWP. SC does not issue non-resident permits (unless you own property in the state) and will only honor an out of state permit if it is on their list and you are a resident of the state that issued it. So if your from MA you're SOL as far as carrying while here regardless of what other licenses you may have. You can carry loaded and unlocked in an unlocked console or glovebox without any kind of permit. Stay off 95 on your way down, unless you are going to the coast specifically. Take I-81S to 77S It is a much nicer and more gun friendly rout. the views while heading through the mountains are awesome. That route will take you right through Charlotte NC and right into the center of SC.

Appears that FL covers PA in addition to others states along the way that UT covers. PA is a significant part of the drive if headed to the Deep South.

Appears that FL covers PA in addition to others states along the way that UT covers. PA is a significant part of the drive if headed to the Deep South.

This is not true according to the PA attorney general. They only have reciprocity for FL resident permits, unless I'm missing something.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/upl...Reciprocity/firearms_agreement_florida_pa.pdf

ETA: OP, you really need to do your own research. The laws are by no means clear and vary from state to state. There are lots of resources available. I recommend visiting the state police/attorney general page for every state you plan to travel through. Legalities change almost monthly.

Last edited:
Yep http://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Pennsylvania Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor Except for Arizona, Florida, Mississippi, Utah and Virginia. They have agreements that specifically states “Legal Resident of AZ, FL, MS, UT and VA. You can see the agreements Here https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/. AZ, FL, MS, UT and VA Permit/Licenses issued to non-residents are no longer valid in PA

If you drive through NY, NJ, MD or PA, and you are found with a firearm, you may spend some time in prison. This is especially true of NJ.

This is not true according to the PA attorney general. They only have reciprocity for FL resident permits, unless I'm missing something.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/upl...Reciprocity/firearms_agreement_florida_pa.pdf

ETA: OP, you really need to do your own research. The laws are by no means clear and vary from state to state. There are lots of resources available. I recommend visiting the state police/attorney general page for every state you plan to travel through. Legalities change almost monthly.

Wonderful- another NJ...

Thanks for the clarification.

You can't carry in SC without a CWP. SC does not issue non-resident permits (unless you own property in the state) and will only honor an out of state permit if it is on their list and you are a resident of the state that issued it. So if your from MA you're SOL as far as carrying while here regardless of what other licenses you may have. You can carry loaded and unlocked in an unlocked console or glovebox without any kind of permit. Stay off 95 on your way down, unless you are going to the coast specifically. Take I-81S to 77S It is a much nicer and more gun friendly rout. the views while heading through the mountains are awesome. That route will take you right through Charlotte NC and right into the center of SC.

+1 on this advice. If you pick up a UT and NH non-resident, the only state on your journey that you will not be able to carry in is MD once you clear NY and then, of course, SC.

Take 84 to PA and pick up 81. Avoid NJ

I'm driving to VA in August. And stopping over one night, on the way back, in Baltimore to catch a sox game. I'm trying to figure out a plan too. I have MA Res and NH and Utah NR

If you drive through NY, NJ, MD or PA, and you are found with a firearm, you may spend some time in prison. This is especially true of NJ.

Take 84 to 81 to 77. You'll only go thru CT and NY and barely thru MD for only about 40 miles or so. I do this twice a year as my kid goes to school down there. Get Florida and Utah and you can carry in most states except CT,NY, MD. Its a lot nicer ride and there are zero tolls.

Like most said.....SC you can have a loaded weapon in your glove box and be OK. Can't have it on you unless you own property and get your CCW or your legally hunting.

Imagine the horror, my kid can have a loaded firearm in the car on campus in SC.

Florida LTC is the same for residents and non residents

As its codified in law, yes, but if your permit from FL doesn't have a FL address on it, you're shot out of luck. Please make sure you clarify properly, not doing soo is very dangerous.

Last edited:
As its codified in law, yes, but if your permit from FL doesn't have a FL address on it, you're shot out of luck. Please make sure you clarify properly, not Doug do is very dangerous.

As a fl resident, they have their address on the LTC? I know a few tears back they had res/non res separate licenses, but I thought it's one single license now... Maybe I'm just confused...

Take 84 to 81 to 77. You'll only go thru CT and NY and barely thru MD for only about 40 miles or so. I do this twice a year as my kid goes to school down there.

Was it you I PMd with a year or so ago about your kid starting at Winthrop U? If so PM me next time you're heading down. Winthrop is 10-15 min from me. We could meet up in Rock Hill for a few beers or sling some lead on my range.

As a fl resident, they have their address on the LTC? I know a few tears back they had res/non res separate licenses, but I thought it's one single license now... Maybe I'm just confused...

No address on a current FL CWP (res or non-res, they look the same), however, without a FL drivers license it would be hard to show you're a FL resident. I wouldn't attempt to carry in SC on my FL CWP.

They honor certain permits from other states - the problem being that they only honor the resident permits from those states (i.e. I have an AZ permit, but I am no longer a resident of AZ, so SC will not honor that permit).

Ok,

All - thanks for all the great information!

So, I will work at getting a UT (already have the NH) license soon. However, if I can't carry while I'm in SC then I'm seriously going to reconsider making the trip at all. I don't think having something in the glove box will quite cut it but I'll think about it.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, pointers and help !

Peter

+1 on this advice. If you pick up a UT and NH non-resident, the only state on your journey that you will not be able to carry in is MD once you clear NY and then, of course, SC.

Take 84 to PA and pick up 81. Avoid NJ

Wonderful- another NJ...

Thanks for the clarification.

PA is far from another NJ. They have a robust gun culture and it is easy to get a NR permit at many sheriff's offices. You are highly unlikely to get in trouble while simply transporting a gun through PA, unlike NJ, NY, or MD. PA just doesn't honor non-resident out of state LTC, mostly as a result of Philadelphia liberals making noise about it.

Back
Top Bottom