Trauma vest

I bought a shoot me first vest to use as a diaper bag. Was great to hold bottles, diapers, change of clothes, spare magazines, knife, extra pacifiers, wipes, ointment.

Only problem was it was so full I couldn’t get in my car with it on. First child.

Had to modify it and realize I did t need a whole box of diapers for a trip to the store.

I bought a shoot me first vest to use as a diaper bag. Was great to hold bottles, diapers, change of clothes, spare magazines, knife, extra pacifiers, wipes, ointment.

Only problem was it was so full I couldn’t get in my car with it on. First child.

Had to modify it and realize I did t need a whole box of diapers for a trip to the store.
[pics]

In my case I would be interested in a study which would tell me how many tightly wrapped depend diapers I would need to make my vest bulletproof. I would not mind looking like a Michelin man, if it will be possible.

This was dog's reaction when I stopped reading items suggested for the trauma vest:
go.jpg

Last edited:

The one item that seems a bit extrameous (to me) is the finger splint. A finger splint level injury strikes me as more of a boo-boo than a trauma situation. Maybe swap that out for an eye injury kit, or some basic meds like benadryl or asprin that could help in am emergency?

I have to admit, there are some funny comments in here, but truth be told, if you know how to use the sh!t, IDGAF if you put it all in a clown suit, I respect you at least trying to be prepared. Hell, even if you don’t know how to use it, maybe someone more knowledgable around you can make good use of the supplies in an emergency (though a vest might not be best in that situation...).

I doubt even 10% of people have so much as a bandaid in their vehicle, and probably not much more than a box of thosr at home. Keep it up.

Notice the OP's last item. I think a small spelling error happened as I'm pretty sure he meant to list a "Finger Tourniquet". Yes, "Finger Splint" might seem to be boo-boo item, but combined with a "Finger Tourniquet", you've got a pretty good combination for a digit injury. Not just for the range, but for accidents around the home.

Below is not a boo-boo by any stretch of the imagination. As a much wiser person than I says "Holy Shit, that's a lot of blood". Get that CAT tourniquet high and tight on the arm, apply finger tourniquet, raise the arm high, and get to a trauma center. Oh, and don't forget to pick up the piece of finger you just shot off, wrap in ice, and go. [wink]

ZM7YUrL.jpg

While I've read some of the comments tongue in cheek, you gotta admit that having that vest at the range or at home being readily available is a good thing. Combine the items with some basic TCCC training and you should be way ahead of the game.

Hats off OP

Jay

I had a diaper bag I got off of Ebay that was 2 Claymore pouches from a USGI backpack sewn together when my son was born. It was camo. Had a zipper. It was perfect.

I sill have it in the ammo cabinet, I believe. It fits several boxes of 12ga handily.

I took a fly fishing vest an adapted for a trauma vest.I got it big so I can put it over a winter coat. What I have in it is.
Knife
Pad of paper
Pen pencil and magic marker
Tourniquet
Red hazard bag
Gloves
Scissors
Breathing mask
Emergency blanket
Israel bandage
Rap gauze lg
Self adhering wrap sm lg
Head lamp extra battery
Whistle
Small gauze wraps
Gauze pads sm me lg
Finger splint
Quick clot
Duck tap
Chest seal
Trash bags
Sling
Lg gauze rap
Swat it stretch and tuck technique
Tape
Finger technique
Good list you got there but... lose the vest and throw it all in a bag.

Notice the OP's last item. I think a small spelling error happened as I'm pretty sure he meant to list a "Finger Tourniquet". Yes, "Finger Splint" might seem to be boo-boo item, but combined with a "Finger Tourniquet", you've got a pretty good combination for a digit injury. Not just for the range, but for accidents around the home.

Below is not a boo-boo by any stretch of the imagination. As a much wiser person than I says "Holy Shit, that's a lot of blood". Get that CAT tourniquet high and tight on the arm, apply finger tourniquet, raise the arm high, and get to a trauma center. Oh, and don't forget to pick up the piece of finger you just shot off, wrap in ice, and go. [wink]

Had a very similar injury in my younger days (that’s how i learned about table saw kick-back), I am sticking with boo-boo.

Limited real-estate in that setup, I would opt for something else... but I am not am emt either, so what the hell do I know.

While I've read some of the comments tongue in cheek, you gotta admit that having that vest at the range or at home being readily available is a good thing. Combine the items with some basic TCCC training and you should be way ahead of the game.

Hats off OP

Jay

Agreed.

Last edited:
When you stuff too much stuff into your kit, that often is never opened or not frequency trained with I finding stuff becomes difficult to find/locate... add that to the stress of treating an actual injury while having little to no experience (such as myself) is a a bad situation.

I have two large bags and a small bag.... they’re great for throwing in a truck or whatever for events an ambulance isn’t onsite....
most of the stuff I’m capable of using, some stuff I have are just to have if somone more qualified is around.

I’d say get some NARCAN Your far more like to use that then treat a gun shot wound

Disclaimer: Won't work with your NES skinny jeans

My issue with the ankle Carry kit is it will get dirty and need the stuff replaced constantly.
My ankle carry CC piece get disgustings quickly.

One puddle or snow could contaminate it... maybe not the really well sealed items, it reminds me of the first aid bag at ranges.....full of moldy gauze... at that point I’d use a t shirt.

My issue with the ankle Carry kit is it will get dirty and need the stuff replaced constantly.
My ankle carry CC piece get disgustings quickly.

One puddle or snow could contaminate it... maybe not the really well sealed items, it reminds me of the first aid bag at ranges.....full of moldy gauze... at that point I’d use a t shirt.

THIS^
+ you can't be cool with your ankle carry:

View: https://youtu.be/fobvYJVXqBQ

I’m pretty geared up when I play commando...
I have a really nice dropped rig for my sidearm and ar mags.... is completely practical.. doesn’t poke your side fat and is great while driving, enter/exiting a vehicle, and is easier to access then belt carry......I have a hard time wearing it because it makes me look like such a tool/airsofter.... the one time I wore it and people saw me it was way harsher then this NES thread.

*i see my lifetime membership is now active... been wait for that... I had let my green lapse

Good old Sonny. I used to love watching the videos he'd make with that trainer here in NM or AZ or wherever. He'd be rolling around back and forth for different maneuvers to get into rifle-firing positions. It was like tumble-time but for adults. LOL

My issue with the ankle Carry kit is it will get dirty and need the stuff replaced constantly. My ankle carry CC piece get disgustings quickly.

I do use an ankle carry for a very small IFAK. I totally agree that not just a puddle or snow, but also moisture from the hot summer days can cause needed items to deteriorate to unusable when you really need them.

For me, I use a FoodSaver vacuum food sealer to seal gloves, gauze, wraps, etc. I did try the standard bags, but found you needed something sharp to open the bag. While I do carry trauma shears, I just wanted something faster. I now use the FoodSaver "Easy Seal & Peel" bags. Very easy to one handed tear them open or rip open with your teeth. The vacuum also helps make the item smaller for easier storage.

This gave me a way to buy certain items in bulk, and store smaller amounts safely.

YMMV

Jay

qX3AmQI.jpg

I totally agree about the vacuum seal... I do it just to save space.... it’s all about diffent kitsfor differ stuff.... but just like CC if you don’t carry it it does no good.....

Hey, Ricky Rescue, I have to ask. What’s your level of medical training? Have you ever actually used any of this stuff before? When shit goes all pear shaped and you’re under duress is not the time to try and figure out how to use this stuff.

Untrue. I watched that movie The Edge with Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins about 50 times. Hopkins survives WEEKS in the middle of nowhere just based on crap he's read in books. He saves Baldwin's life (well, delays his death anyways) by reading a booklet in a first aid kit.

I plan on doing exactly the same. ;)

Back
Top Bottom