• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trap with a Bennelli Montefeltro?

Upland

NES Member
I've heard some really good things about Bennelli Montefeltros. I would be using it for Primarily trap with a little upland bird hunting. I am going to shoot a friends,but would like to tap into the brain trust here. I'm thinking about a 12 gauge with a wood stock.
I'm not a shotgun guy so any advice is appreciated.
I usually buy used guns but see slim Pickens for these shotguns.

I have a 20 ga. Montefeltro that I've had for years for upland bird hunting. Great, light weight bird gun that points quickly and is easy to lug around the woods all day. Not sure if it would make a good trap gun as you can only load one round at a time and its light weight might take a toll on your shoulder after 2 or 3 rounds of trap. Shooting off a few rounds in the woods is a lot different than banging off 25 rounds during a single trap round. A heavier weight OU would be a better choice for trap shooting and still be used for upland bird hunts.

I've shot trap with my Franchi 12 ga. AL48 autoloader which is a light weight gun. My shoulder would begin to bark a bit after about 2 rounds (50 shots). I just had 2 shoulder surgeries last year (unrelated to shooting) so I don't think I'll be shooting trap anytime soon.

Any shotgun can be used for trap, but this beautiful gun is not a trap gun. Benelli's, and I own one, shoot flat, flat. You can mess with the shim kit that is included, be very careful not to mix things up, PM me if you have questions. You can put on a stick on raised comb to help. You want a shotgun that has a shoots 2-3 inches high at 16 yards for trap, or you will have to cover the bird.

If you are talking about a general use gun with some trap, it's a great choice. If you are looking for a gun for dedicated trap shooting, this is not the one for you.

Get the Bennelli for skeet, sporting and everything else and get a BT-99 for american trap singles or a XT Trap for singles/doubles and you are all set.

I have had a Montefeltro for several years now, its a great gun. I shoot skeet, sporting clays, 5 stand, and trap with it. Like mentioned above, there are better suited dedicated trap guns. There are also better suited skeet guns, and better suited hunting guns. I think the Montefeltro is a nice all around semi, probably leaning more towards hunting due to lite weight and POA/POI nature.

I love my montefeltro and have used it for 5 stand and trap. in the summer with only a t-shirt, I can feel it after 5-6 rounds of trap. with a light jacket, it's no trouble at all. I'll snap a picture of the shell catcher i use when i get a chance. Some places get snooty about semi autos ejecting shells into your neighbor so i use a shell catcher or thick rubber band.

If you're on the south shore, you are welcomed to try my montefeltro to help decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Great advice everyone exactly what I was looking for. Let me clarify a little. I do want it to be an all around shotgun, I will use it mostly for trap but will use it for upland game and maybe sporting clays occasionally. I started looking at over unders and have been steered to autos,it also seems like a quality over under would be more than my budget.
I'm looking for a good compromise.

Let us know what you decide Kevin. also, if you are using a semi auto for trap, look into the Birchwood Casey Save-It Shell Catcher. It saves your neighbor from getting shells in the noodle.

It gets annoying shooting trap when your neighbors shells keep bouncing off you. I have heard of near altercations over it.

Having shot trap and skeet with a Monty, it handled beautifully. No instances of ejected cases hitting other shooters.

I've heard some really good things about Bennelli Montefeltros. I would be using it for Primarily trap with a little upland bird hunting. I am going to shoot a friends,but would like to tap into the brain trust here. I'm thinking about a 12 gauge with a wood stock.

I bought one for my daughter to shoot trap and sporting clays. It's a fantastic shotgun. Get one.

It does get annoying if you're on a five man firing line and the guy next to you keeps lobbing hot brass in your direction. Maybe that's not the way you shoot trap- i don't know?

I've shot with a Citori and I've shot with an 1100. Other people use semi autos some time. Sometime brass comes at you. You step back a pace if it bothers you and then you step up to shoot. It's not a big deal and in my opinion if you can't handle it maybe you need to find a new sport.

Last edited:
I've shot with a Citori and I've shot with an 1100. Other people use semi autos some time. Sometime brass comes at you. You step back a pace if it bothers you and then you step up to shoot. It's not a big deal and in my opinion if you can't handle it maybe you need to find a new sport.

Ever hear of respect for the other shooter on the firing line? You sound like one of those "I'm more important than you" kind of people.

Ever hear of respect for the other shooter on the firing line? You sound like one of those "I'm more important than you" kind of people.
Pot/kettle. Guns eject shells. Sometime they hit you. It's not a big deal. I've never tried to hit anyone intentionally with an ejected shell however when I'm shooting I'm trying to hit the clay. I'm not paying attention to where an ejected shell may go. If it bothers you there is a semi to your left ask to switch positions

Pot/kettle. Guns eject shells. Sometime they hit you. It's not a big deal. I've never tried to hit anyone intentionally with an ejected shell however when I'm shooting I'm trying to hit the clay. I'm not paying attention to where an ejected shell may go. If it bothers you there is a semi to your left ask to switch positions

It does not bother me at all, however, unless you are the only person on the firing line this is not possible. Shooters on a five man shooting line typically change position every 5th round and at some point you're going to be affecting the person next to you. Not saying you're trying to hit someone intentionally but unless you place a rubber band around the ejection port on a semi auto, someone is likely to have hot brass hit them somewhere. Not lobbing hot brass on my neighbor is common courtesy - at least in my neck of the woods.

I'm done with this thread.

I have had the pleasure of shooting trap and skeet with the Benelli Montefeltro and Ethos semi-autos. Both are delightful, and neither ejects empties anywhere that would bother fellow shooters.

Last edited:
So because you dropped $2300 on an over/under Browning you expect the guy who dropped the same amount on a Benelli Ethos to mod his gun on the off chance it MIGHT throw a hull that dings the furniture of your gun. Do you park diagonally across 2 spaces to protect your car too?

I'm not trying to provoke anyone. I guess I'm irritated by the tone. It comes off as entitlement or at least it does to me. Semi auto guns are an entirely legitimate choice as a trap gun - as is i.e. without potentially damaging the gun by adding a shell catcher or worse blocking the ejection port because another shooter doesn't like the possibility of being hit by a hull. Ejected shells are part of shooting. It comes off as Fuddy to make an issue of it and gives the impression of your being against 'those kinds' of guns.

BobP is a friend. What you suggest is simply not an accurate representation of him. He's one of the nicest guys I know.

I'm going to hopefully try out some shotguns Sunday AM.
Thanks again for everyone's advice. I'm getting some good advice about shotguns with some range etiquette thrown in. I always try to be polite when standing around a group of people with loaded shotguns. Ha ha.

I run a semi-auto. At my home Club, the steel shot we shoot is hotter than regular loads, and it ejects at about a 45 degree forward angle. When I use it with regular target loads, I put a catcher on it, as a consideration for the shooter to my right, as they come out at closer to 90 degrees, and, when I have a hard right shot, it can throw them at the next shooter.

As for it being "Fuddy," perhaps. But, when you play golf, you don't make noise when the other guy is putting, because it's the polite thing to do. Doing stuff that's not required that messes with the next (or other) shooter is impolite.

Yes, ejected shells are "part of the game," but so is consideration of your fellow shooter. I shoot non-expensive guns, so as a practical matter I don't care if an ejected hull hits it. But, as a matter of decorum, it's not an appropriate condition.

As for the suggestion to 'Take a step back" posted above, that's not something that a serious Trap shooter wants to do. I teach new shooters to "grow roots" and not move their feet, until the "Change" command is given.

If I'd dropped $2300 on an auto that was pissing off the other shooters on the line, then, yes, I'd make a modification. Not one that damaged the gun, but one that would eliminate the problem, such as a stick-on catcher. And, If my gun's ejected hull damaged the gun (personal property, remember) of another, then I'd be obliged to pay for the repair.

If a guy parks diagonally, and I ding his car, it's the same as if he parked straight. I did the dinging. Putting guns in the rack is part of the game....if i knocked someone's gun to the ground, would it not be my responsibility to repair any damage?

Back
Top Bottom