• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trap with a Bennelli Montefeltro?

I'm a lefty so they hit me in the face. Let me throw a hot shell in your face before you take a shot and see if you care.

How does being a lefty change it. I'm surrounding by semi auto trap shooters at 2 clubs and I don't think I have ever see a shell eject at a angle enough to the side to be a head shot?
Being lefty Will not increase your hit count from ejected shells. If anything a right is more to get one down the back of the neck.
If ahotshells annoy you you don't want to shoot NRA/CMP service rifle

How does being a lefty change it. I'm surrounding by semi auto trap shooters at 2 clubs and I don't think I have ever see a shell eject at a angle enough to the side to be a head shot?
Being lefty Will not increase your hit count from ejected shells. If anything a right is more to get one down the back of the neck.
If ahotshells annoy you you don't want to shoot NRA/CMP service rifle

Maybe that's why they're on the Trap line, in the first place.

Different games have different expectations and etiquette. Most serious Trap shooters have break guns. Most try to get "in the zone" and stuff that distracts them annoys them, and rightfully so. At our Club, when it's informal shooting, we have a lot of behavior that would be a no-go at a real shoot (shooting others' misses, for instance).

If you're at a steel plate match, and a piece of jacket comes back and hits you, it's part of the game. If there were bounce-back at a Junior Rifle match, or an NRA Gallery Pistol, that would be different.

Maybe that's why they're on the Trap line, in the first place.

Different games have different expectations and etiquette. Most serious Trap shooters have break guns. Most try to get "in the zone" and stuff that distracts them annoys them, and rightfully so. At our Club, when it's informal shooting, we have a lot of behavior that would be a no-go at a real shoot (shooting others' misses, for instance).

If you're at a steel plate match, and a piece of jacket comes back and hits you, it's part of the game. If there were bounce-back at a Junior Rifle match, or an NRA Gallery Pistol, that would be different.

Yes understood ATA does require all guns to be equipped as to not let spent shells to interfer with shooters.
What has to be determined is what is "substantially disturbs" amounts to.
I won't get into what guns are used for trap but I see a lot of semi out there. Good amount of them the 5 years I have been to MA ATA up at minute man. I would say many did not have shell catchers.
Many semi autos also eject your standard trap load pretty weakly.

I will say it is part of the game until they ban semi auto from the line.
As for bounce backs and ricochet I'm not sure of the rules on the other games.
Now for distraction shooting lefty and the person on your left can't keep his gun still.
Anyhow if you have a person to your left pelting you with shells try to keep some rubber bands around the trap house and ask him to wrap it around the receiver blocking part of the port.
Stick on Velcro works also.

As I said, mine is "controlled". My A5 does not even cycle (I have it set for heavy loads). At my Club a couple weeks back one shooter's new SA was whipping them right at the shooter to the right.

I'm pretty mellow, but that would have got to me after the 50th or so shot. And, since an ATA match is generally 100....[laugh]

As no one ever heard of a shell catcher $12 doesn’t affect the gun at all I shoot a ethos thousand of round of Trap never a issue

As no one ever heard of a shell catcher $12 doesn’t affect the gun at all I shoot a ethos thousand of round of Trap never a issue

For a long time I used, and still keep handy, rubber bands from produce. I found the purple ones that come on my asparagus to be the best, so I collect them and throw extras in my case. I shoot an O/U now, so basically I just hand them out to any repeat shooters driving autoloaders.

Some are fine and throw the empties forward far enough that no one gets hit (my Maxus throws them almost as far as my Mini-14 did before I changed the gas block!), but I continually get hit by others. It does get annoying after awhile to have them bouncing off of your legs, back, side, even my arms and gun a couple times. But it's also pretty cool when one whizzes past you right into your empty shell bucket.

For new people who don't know any better, I don't let myself get annoyed about it. Experienced shooters who should know better and have no excuse get a rubber band handed to them. One in particular is getting a T&S shell catcher for his 1100 for Christmas cos he bitches about the rubber band blocking his front sight. [rofl]

For a long time I used, and still keep handy, rubber bands from produce. I found the purple ones that come on my asparagus to be the best, so I collect them and throw extras in my case. I shoot an O/U now, so basically I just hand them out to any repeat shooters driving autoloaders.

Some are fine and throw the empties forward far enough that no one gets hit (my Maxus throws them almost as far as my Mini-14 did before I changed the gas block!), but I continually get hit by others. It does get annoying after awhile to have them bouncing off of your legs, back, side, even my arms and gun a couple times. But it's also pretty cool when one whizzes past you right into your empty shell bucket.

For new people who don't know any better, I don't let myself get annoyed about it. Experienced shooters who should know better and have no excuse get a rubber band handed to them. One in particular is getting a T&S shell catcher for his 1100 for Christmas cos he bitches about the rubber band blocking his front sight. [rofl]

front sight.....are there sights on trap guns ?

There is generally a bead, though I have one without (previous owner didn't know that there was snow in the bore, when they pulled the trigger, resulting in a "custom length" barrel).

A lot also have a mid-rib bead, too. But, since you're supposed to be concentrating on the target, not the sight, it's not like rifle without sights.

I'm not trying to provoke anyone. I guess I'm irritated by the tone. It comes off as entitlement or at least it does to me. Semi auto guns are an entirely legitimate choice as a trap gun - as is i.e. without potentially damaging the gun by adding a shell catcher or worse blocking the ejection port because another shooter doesn't like the possibility of being hit by a hull. Ejected shells are part of shooting. It comes off as Fuddy to make an issue of it and gives the impression of your being against 'those kinds' of guns.

Semis throwing shells on the trap line is a KNOWN point of contention. At the informal level it is really up to the club to make the final decision. If I am somewhere, I personally am fine with the "house rules" telling either the thrower to resolve the issue or the other people to accept it as "part of the game" and each can make their choice on of to patronize the club due to that.

If you were not previously aware, I would hope after this thread you are now aware this is a topic of contention. You don't have to agree with semis having to have a shell catcher but it shouldn't be surprising to hear that people complain about shells hitting them on the line (because it is one of the top generic Trap gripes found on fields across the country).

Back
Top Bottom