Trap guns

here are some picks in case your unsure. 1 is of a choke in the barrel and one is of chokes out of the barrel. these chokes have 4 notches, there are different ones with different amount of notches. there is also a pic of how some of the chokes differ.

View attachment 11541

One thing to note to people unfamiliar with chokes is the term "notches" especially in regards to this picture. There are 4 notches in both tubes, they are at 12 o'clock, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. These are are for the choke wrench.
However please note that the tube on the left has additional notch marks on the left side of it, it looks like 4 of them. These indicate degree of restriction, the more notch marks the more constricted the choke is. Often 4 notches indicates "full" but will depend on manufacturer. I don't see any on the tube on the right so this would be "cylinder" I hope this helps.

One thing to note to people unfamiliar with chokes is the term "notches" especially in regards to this picture. There are 4 notches in both tubes, they are at 12 o'clock, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. These are are for the choke wrench.
However please note that the tube on the left has additional notch marks on the left side of it, it looks like 4 of them. These indicate degree of restriction, the more notch marks the more constricted the choke is. Often 4 notches indicates "full" but will depend on manufacturer. I don't see any on the tube on the right so this would be "cylinder" I hope this helps.

thanks! you are absolutely right, i didn't even notice they were there when i posted the pic.

Adam I posted some of the trap shoots. I still dont know why we dont have a email system to send to our 800+ members to let them know WTF is going on. Maybe if we statred doing that we would have more than the same 10 guys shooting????

I'll try and make some, and bring my bug spray [rolleyes].

There is no email system for the 1200+ members, 'cuz one person needs to be in charge of the computer and website and they haven't been able to get one person to do that.

i use a Stoeger Condor Supreme O/U. its a 28" field gun that outshoots me at the trap field. For $300 she treats me good

Stoeger-1.jpg

heynesmic. The 101 number is SEARS part number. Its a stevens 311 rebranded decent utilitarian field guns. I have a 12 and 20 that have served my dad and now me well in the field./

Somehow I missed this thread all this time. My go to shotty is my Benelli Montefeltro,28" pipe with a mod or imp cyl choke installed. I also shoot a Savage 444 o/u from time to time. Currently it is need of some reapirs.

The first shotgun I ever used for clays was a Ithaca featherlight 37 imp cyl. Shoot a 16 very first time ever.

Once I hit the lottery this will be in the safe.
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_supersport_and_sport_2.php

I just started shooting trap last weekend and I loved it. A great guy at the club let me use his O/U and I shot 12/25 on the first round and 15/25 on the second. Not bad for a NOOB! It was so much fun I bought a 30" barrel for my Remington 870 and I'm headed back this week. DAMN YOU NICE PEOPLE LETTING ME TRY STUFF AND GETTING ME HOOKED ON ANOTHER HOBBY!

its good to try different guns, you will over time get a good feel for what you like.
All guns will shoot different depending on how they are set up and how the "fit you".
Get used to the format then you can start to dig into what gun fit is and some things you can do to get your 870 to "fit" you better with out breaking the bank.

I have done many homemade discount add ons learning about gun fit.
I used toy train rail road tracks to raise my rib. Fiberglass to reform the comb ect ect.

Thanks for the advice! I'll be combing over this forum in detail and soaking up any advice I can find. I can't believe I've been shooting for over 15 years and never tried trap until last weekend. Moving targets = FUN!

Many Trapezoids will be happy to let you try out thier toys....once you get a feel for a "propper fit", this will work well for you.

One of our better up-and-coming shooters "got good" with an older, exposoed-hammer single shot (Sears?) and then, when he had more of a clue as to what would work, moved up the ladder a bit.

A large price is a waste of money if the gun doesn't fit. Better to drop less on the gun, and use the money saved for practice ammo.

Also, don't beaffraid to ask for suggestions - it's better to learn "right" than to have to unlearn.

Keep checking back - there willbe some winter shoots posted here, (Southborough Rod & Gun is having a New Year's Day Hangover Blast at noon, Jan 1 www.srgclub.com) and when the weather improves, more will crop up.

Welcome to Trap! [smile]

Many Trapezoids will be happy to let you try out thier toys....once you get a feel for a "propper fit", this will work well for you.

One of our better up-and-coming shooters "got good" with an older, exposoed-hammer single shot (Sears?) and then, when he had more of a clue as to what would work, moved up the ladder a bit.

A large price is a waste of money if the gun doesn't fit. Better to drop less on the gun, and use the money saved for practice ammo.

Also, don't beaffraid to ask for suggestions - it's better to learn "right" than to have to unlearn.

Keep checking back - there willbe some winter shoots posted here, (Southborough Rod & Gun is having a New Year's Day Hangover Blast at noon, Jan 1 www.srgclub.com) and when the weather improves, more will crop up.

Welcome to Trap! [smile]

Thanks!
Now I'm sorry I didn't wait. The 30" barrel came in for my 870, but now I don't think the gun really "fits" me like I'm seeing people describe that it should. I'm focusing most of my attention on getting a gun that fits or figuring out how to MAKE my gun fit. Since I already made the investment on the barrel I'm thinking I should just spend the money to get my 870 fitted properly, what do you guys think?

By the way, +1 to Mac1991, MisterHappy, and Rep 308! Thanks for the advice,
JSlayer

I shot Trap from age 9 to 18 with my very first gun, a H&R Topper single shot 20 gauge with a modified barrel. I out shot alot of experienced trap shooters, with some VERY expensive Trap guns with that little shotgun! While Ive switched to using my field gun, a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, I still will break it out for a couple rounds these days, although my schedule and budget doesnt allow me to shoot as much anymore.

before you get to flustered just shoot a little longer, every time you change anything barrel length but stocks ect ect things change poi vs poa .

You cant really tell a gun fits until you patern it.........

http://www.stockfitting.com/ this book helped me greatly.....I did some low budget mods on a cheap fiberglass stock to get this lefty shooting good. from what I learned doing all that gave me the inside track on what is what and what I needed to do.

I
ended up with a Browning XT and a precision fit stock......

You cant really tell a gun fits until you patern it.........

Do this first before anything else. Take a piece of paper and make a target on it. At 13-15 yards shoot at the target. Change paper. change chokes and do it again. I usually do 2 different shots with each choke just to make sure. This will let you know your POI (point of Impact) vs your POA (point of aim). Then you can start playing.

Tons of "cheap fixes" before you put an adjustable, recoil pad on your shotgun that costs 4 times what the shotgun cost.

Have fun with it, before you start down the crazy road your headed down. Always looking for the perfect gun, the perfect choke, the perfect ammo (7.5 or 8??? you'll come across this soon lol). You'll find it's usually the Indian and not the arrow. Have fun and I am so sorry you found out about Trap. Crack cocaine is a lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom