Trap guns

Remington 870 Express Magnum. It's my "Everything" gun. Got a skeet choke in it right now for the skeet field. I change it out to a modified choke at the trap range.

Mossberg 500 Thumbhole stock from Boyds with original Mossberg trap barrel and brass trim by myself.
Just another pipe on a stick!

mossberg009.jpg

I haven't gotten into trap yet as I am just now getting around to Appleseed and IDPA. But I picked up a Moss 500 in hopes I could participate in the future. I don't have any chokes on it. Is it "legal" or "acceptable" to use a cylinder bore in trap? or do you need a choke tube?

Adam I posted some of the trap shoots. I still dont know why we dont have a email system to send to our 800+ members to let them know WTF is going on. Maybe if we statred doing that we would have more than the same 10 guys shooting???? Dzinger....there are no choke restrictions in trap shooting although cyl. choke will have a very open pattern. I recomend useing 1 1/8th with #8 shot. I have shot trap with my 870 smoothbore slug barrel and have scored well with it. Just go shoot and have fun worry later about equipment. Theres generally many shooters who will let you try guns set up more apropriatly for the game at hand. Go shoot learn the basics and the flow of the game THEN get hooked into whats the best thing for trap or skeet or what ever.
I shot many years with my 870 express modified choke and worked my way up through the different levels in our clubs leagues eventually winning all the classes and a top gun. I have not been shooting the leagues the last few years due to lack of funds.

I went trap shooting for the first time today and loved it. I used a shotgun from another member on here. I do have an 18 inch Smooth barrel shotgun. Anyone think that would work? If I did not have to purchase a new gun that would be awesome!!! Any way to modify a choke tub to put in a smooth barrel?

I went trap shooting for the first time today and loved it. I used a shotgun from another member on here. I do have an 18 inch Smooth barrel shotgun. Anyone think that would work? If I did not have to purchase a new gun that would be awesome!!! Any way to modify a choke tub to put in a smooth barrel?

What kind of shotgun is it? Some guns you can get a new barrel for such as remington 870's . 18 inch barrel is pretty short when you say smooth barrel do you mean it has a cylinder bore for choke ?

We have a member who shoots trap with a coach gun that has 18" barrels and xtrafull chokes. Consistently high teens and twenties.
Works, but not recommended. ;)

While not a dedicated Trap gun, I use a Browning 325 which as been out of production for some time. The current version is a 625, these are set up for Sporting Clays. The stock is like a field gun, and the rib is also. The only thing that keeps a 25 off the score sheet, is the loose nut on the buttstock.

Pardner® Pump Protector - Carbon Fiber Dip
Our home-defense model rigged with an 18 ½" cylinder bore barrel for quick maneuvering in tight quarters.

With the cylinder bore choke you won't have much of a pattern at 30 yds out you can try it but it might be frustrating. I would try other guns (most trap shooters are more then happy to let you try there gun if you ask) and figure out what you like . You don't have to spend a lot of money but something with mod or full choke and at least a 28" barrel will help a lot. IMHO

I haven't gotten into trap yet as I am just now getting around to Appleseed and IDPA. But I picked up a Moss 500 in hopes I could participate in the future. I don't have any chokes on it. Is it "legal" or "acceptable" to use a cylinder bore in trap? or do you need a choke tube?

You'll do better with a tighter choke- when you acutually hit the birds, they're about 35 yards from the firing line.

Before you spend bucks, try other peoples guns, and remember that the most important thing is the fit: No fit, No hit.

Once you decide to get into it, a less-expensive one is fine. Once you get "Good" then go nuts! [smile]

Its a New England Pardner Pump Protector 18 1/2. http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerPump.asp This is the page its on. The last one on the bottom. For Choke it just say's N/A so not sure...

Data, if you follow your link, then click on the manual it says this "The barrel is equipped with an internal modified choke tube. It can be removed or tightened with a quarter-size coin. (Be sure it is tight before firing.) Additional choke tubes (Winchester/Browning/Mossberg-type) can be purchased from a gun shop."

I use a 12ga shotty i paid $25 for brand spanking new. It's a stoeger single barrel classic. I generally shoot in the 20's with it and this past Wednesday i shot 3 rounds, 23, 24 and 25. my best day yet. Although it was not my best string which was a 43 last fall. I still have a long way to go.

Data, if you follow your link, then click on the manual it says this "The barrel is equipped with an internal modified choke tube. It can be removed or tightened with a quarter-size coin. (Be sure it is tight before firing.) Additional choke tubes (Winchester/Browning/Mossberg-type) can be purchased from a gun shop."

I think the Manual may be a generic for the majority of there shotguns. I don't see any types of well anything that I can tighten.
Hmmmm

the quote i posted was in the manual for the exact gun you stated, the last one on the page right? look into the end of the muzzle that is where you should see 2 notches, 1 on each side of the inside of the barrel. those notches are what you use to unscrew the choke.

Back
Top Bottom