Trap guns

As I read through the thread and links and looks like most people are using a 12 gauge. Last summer I went to a workshop that had some rec activities including trap shooting. We used a 20 gauge with one of the portable, spring operated skeet throwers and I did ok, 16/20. Does anyone use a 20 gauge or know if they are used for recreational trap? I'm trying to revive the thread because as I think of spring, I'd like to get involved in trap shooting.

Any shotgun can be used for trap. I once saw a 10-ga black powder lever-action gun used at a local club.[shocked][laugh] In terms of other shotgun sports, like Skeet, other gauges are "required" 12, 20, 28, and .410 are used for a 4-gun match.

For "Real" Trap, 12 is used, as it throws the most shot, and therefore, gives the shooter the best chance of breaking a bird (A 0.5% difference in bird count (1 bird of 200) or even less, can make the difference in winner and second.)

Amateur Trapshooting Association (ATA) rules specify 12 as the largest gauge, 1 1/8 ounce as the max charge weight, and 7 1/2 as the largest shot. Why would you not use the most effective tool in competition?

That being said, my son started on a 20 with a modified choke, and had a 24/25 on one round....so it can be done. Sicne he turned 11, he's been using a 12.

If you have a 20 that fits (no fit,no hit), you'll do well. Just shoot.

Come on out to Southborough Rod & Gun Club www.srgclub.com and join us! [smile]

the absolute difference between 12 and 20 gauge is little when it comes to shooting clays.
I shoot 1oz loads with 7 1/2 shot @ 1200fps (reloads) in both 12 and 20 gauge. I have a 20 gauge reducer for my trap gun.

As said you need a gun that fits or "shoots where you are looking" and has a decent pattern not so tight that you have to be dead on or not to loose as to have large gaps in your pellet spread.
I use either Modfied or Improved modeified for all but the 25 yard line where I go full with 1 1/8 #7 12g

I only shoot my 20g for fun or sometimes sporting clays.

A few things to consider

12g 1oz loads @ 1200fps delivery the same potential recoil energy as a 20g 1oz 1200fps round. So most 20g guns are a good amount lighter than 12g. You may find that you feel more of the recoil with a 20g gun.

I have a 20g Stevens 311 that kicks like a mule compared to the 12g 311 I have. For trap(mainly because of poor fit) after 25 shots almost everyone who shoots this gun gets a beat up cheek. 12g 311 not so much.

If you intention is to only shoot trap then a 12g would be a better choice(MHO) Plan on shooting doubles then a O/U or semi is in order. Even still a combo gun.
Want to get real crazy find a O/U skeet set with matching barrels in all the gauges and try to find one with a trap barrel set up also. Now we are talking big$$$ though.

If you want a all around hunting,sometimes,trap,skeet,sportingclays then a rem 870,1100 will fit the bill----and can always be modified by barrel and stock change outs.

Thanks guys. I don't own a shotgun and was just wondering about the 20 gauge since, I shot one over the summer. I realize the distance I was shooting at is less than if I was shooting trap at a club. I've watched trap shooting at my club Taunton Rifle and Pistol, and know the clays come out ahead of where the shooters are as compared to my summer shoot.

I also had no idea that the recoil could be lighter on a 12 gauge, lighter recoil was in the back of my mind when considering a 20 gauge.

Thanks again and Mr.Happy, I might take you up on that when the weather warms up!

"Happy" to help![rofl]

Most shooters are willing (some eager) to let you use their toys....if you let it be known that you're looking to get something, often the "my gun is best" syndrome kicks in.

As for reciol, it's part physics, part technique, part perception. We have a shooter that started Trap with a Rossi coach gun [shocked] His first couple of times out, two rounds of 25 was his limit....after a bit, he was going 5 rounds. Then, he got more "serious" and got an auto. Fit is important, for more than hitting the bird. A poorly-fitting gun will kick the snot out of you. This is why trying out a bunch of guns is important. My primary gun is an old Browning A5....no problems. I tried an $8,000 Ljutic, and while I shot my "average", it was uncomfortable.

The good thing about Trap shooters....all have an oplinion, and some are right, too! [wink]

I shoot a Remington 11-87 Premier Trap with a 30" barrel.

I love it, it shoots real sweet !!!

I was going to buy a 26" skeet barrel for it and never got around to it because 1. I got into Archery and Trap Shooting got put 2nd and 2. the barrel was something like $280.

When Valley Sports was closing he had a Remington 11-87 Premier Skeet gun, I ended up buying that. Now I don't need to change the barrel, I just change guns [smile] [smile] [smile] . That way I have a 2nd gun with me also incase one breaks down [smile] .

WOW I surprised! No one has said the Winchester Select Energy Trap model. Mine is the 32" barrel model. Balances and shoots well.

Make, model, price....all secondary to fit.

Agreed. It happens to fit pretty well, and I usually hit what I'm aiming at with it.

I tried an old Topper M48 the other day. Single barrel .20 gauge. Shot well enough, stock was a little short for me though. I learned very quickly not to have my thumb anywhere near the latch. Funny how quickly you learn that when a spent shell pops you in the forehead almost immediately after pulling the trigger!

Back
Top Bottom