• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

trap gun cleaning

OK, so maybe I haven't been as dutiful in cleaning my trap gun. Could that affect accuracy? I read somewhere a dirty barrel can slow down the wad, decreasing accuracy.

I'm guessing not and it's just me.

I know the obvious reason is to clean it a try it, I'm looking for a reason for sporadic breakage of clays.

Thanks

What is this "cleaning" you speak of?

[laugh]

If you can see light at the other end, it's not so dirty that it will affect accuracy. A bore dirty enough to "slow down the wad, decreasing accuracy" will likely blow the damn thing up. [shocked]

I, too, experience sporadic breakage.....but that's my fault, not my guns'.

I run a swab through every few weeks that's about 4-500 rounds, I do pay particular attention for plastic build up in the choke tubes.

Put the bead in the right spot and the sporadic breakage will stop...sounds easy [laugh]

I just give my action a wipe off and lube as needed. As for the bore. Bore snake and a oil patch.
Change in breaking clays is usually anything but a dirty barrel. Loose choke/s. Weight gain or loss. Change in cloths. Buddy of mine started shooting trap in winter. Was shooting consistantly in 20s . First time he shot with out his winter jacket he shot a 13!! Proceeded by a 15 and 17. Pulled his jacket out of the truck bang 23!. The added material put his eye further back on the comb and dropping his the level of his eye.
So clean your shotty....if you think it helps it will.

Admiral-Ackbar-Its-A-Trap.jpg

trap guns have a choke which restricts the pattern. the difference between an open bore and a skeet choke is measured in thousands of an inch. the difference between different chokes is measured in hundreds of an inch. so I guess in theory, if you get a little fouling in the choke/barrel, you could be going from a modified to a full or a full to something even tighter. as to it slowing things down, maybe a little, not enough to make a difference.

I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I'm definitely going with that excuse for why I shot so terribly last time...it was dirty! [smile]

My 12 gauge chokes were once so constricted with residue that they were probably constricting the 20 gauge tubes.

Put up large sheet of paper at 40 yards
Shoot (Pattern) your dirty gun with 3-4 shots.
Remove paper, label as dirty shots
Clean gun
Put up new paper
Pattern your clean gun with 3-4 shots
Remove paper, label as clean
Compare
Draw your own conclusions
Retain documented evidence that the variation is not statistically relevant.

I go through this with the kids on my team every year.

Get a $15 bore snake, make a habit of running it through the gun after each shoot, a little squirt of CLP helps too

Every couple of hundred rounds take the chokes out and soak them overnight in Simple Green

Clean it with a bore brush and old toothbrush to clean the threads

I've seen a gun with the choke so dirty it trapped the wad and the next round launched the choke out of the barrel

It is very easy keep these clean.

Back
Top Bottom