• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting shotgun in RI

kurtb

NES Member
Hypothetical question -

If this guy I know lives in MA and has an LTC-A and wants to go shooting in RI at a sportsmans club - can he transport his shotgun into RI and to the club for the purpose of shooting some clays? If he were to get pulled over (in RI) with a shotgun (in a locked case) in the back of the car, and some shells of course, would he be in an unpleasant situation even though he had a MA LTC and was going to a specific shooting location such as the sportsman club?

I have read the RI law about transport through, but no not think that the transport rule applies because the destination is within RI. Its kind of fuzzy to me - it might have something to do with the firepit and coors from last night :)

Thanks

Last edited:
This must be either a really tough question to answer - or an extremely stupid one to ask. Maybe I should call someone?? Anyone know where to start with this?

Thanks

There are no licensing requirements for adults to possess a shotgun in RI. As long as it is unloaded (including any mags, they must be unloaded as well), your friend can legally transport it in his vehicle to a RI gun club. The transportation statute you were referring to above (§ 11-47-8) applies to carrying a handgun in your vehicle, not transporting long guns.

Last edited:
There are no licensing requirements for adults to possess a shotgun in RI. As long as it is unloaded (including any mags, they must be unloaded as well), your friend can legally transport it in his vehicle to a RI gun club. The transportation statute you were referring to above (§ 11-47-8) applies to carrying a handgun in your vehicle, not transporting long guns.

Thank you. Thank you. That makes sense to me. I am glad that someone clarified that. Also, I am a HUGE fan of "Strange Brew" - nice to see another Bob and Doug fan out there!!! Beauty - eh?

Okay then - take off..eh!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom