• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting a broken down shotgun on a motorcycle?

I’ve read the MA sections about transporting firearms and there’s nothing at all about this. Is it legal for me to transport a shotgun (non-high cap) that is broken down if it’s strapped to the passenger back rest of my bike? It’s very vague, I have An LTC-A ALP. I know this probably doesn’t happen often but I may need to travel with it and the bike might be my only transport for a while.

IANAL but if your hog has a sealable trunk-like compartment in the back and your shotgun is either locked or disassembled within you should be okay. Anywhere else and you are cruising with your shotgun riding ‘shotgun,’ and may be at risk of breaking the law.

Those of you who have given “real” answers, thanks. I’m not really understanding the unhelpful ones? You understand that I’m not planning on putting it on a sling or just carrying it, right?

post edited, see post 14 below, MGL says it has to be in a locked case.

I would break the gun down, remove the stock, put the receiver in a locked container for transport, put the container and stock in a gym bag or something, then wrap it up to prevent damage and transport that as discreetly as you can. PVC pipe?

Last edited:
t2.jpg

Those of you who have given “real” answers, thanks. I’m not really understanding the unhelpful ones? You understand that I’m not planning on putting it on a sling or just carrying it, right?
My first response, not my second, was absolutely serious. It's MA and even if you are following the law you can be stopped and the cops will probably charge you with something if they are responding to some Karren complaining. You may win in court, but it would still be a bad day and cost you $$$.

@appraiser mentions keeping it hidden, that's sound advice. Being right is nice but can still cost you $$$, and never forget it only takes a cop calling you issuing authority to get you LTC revoked as unsuitable. I'm pretty sure the courts will agree that displaying a gun, even broken down, on a motorcycle makes you unsuitable.

The best way to win is to not play their game, and in this case that means not letting them see it.
Up here in NH I could leave my loaded gun on the seat next to me, but I don't.

All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

For more specific information see M.G.L. c. 140, §131C.

OK so I would say the receiver needs to be in a pistol case with a lock, but the stock can go in a gym bag with the pistol case/locked container.

The Barrel could be transported wrapped up and in PVC pipe attached to the bike, the bottom capped, the top with a threaded cap

Last edited:
OK so I would say the receiver needs to be in a pistol case with a lock, but the stock can go in a gym bag with the pistol case/locked container.

The Barrel could be transported wrapped up in PVC pipe attached to the bike, the bottom capped, the top with a threaded cap
The more it looks like transport of a musical instrument,
the better.

Don't get yourself killed by riding around with the case for
a contrabass strapped to your back. But all other things being equal,
homebrew PVC tubes, etc. may not be as stealthy as desired.

Modify a guitar case to hold the bits and put a lock on it. Chance of getting jammed up goes way down, with a better chance of not getting totally screwed if you do. Just remember if you leave it unattended it is a high value theft target.

Is there any reason you need to transport the whole thing in one trip? Like is this how you plan to get to Saturday morning trap?

otherwise, maybe legaller? Lol or less jaily to carry parts in separate trips. Just a thought

All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

The Barrel could be transported wrapped up and in PVC pipe attached to the bike, the bottom capped, the top with a threaded cap

If I’m correct laws for non high capacity rifles shotguns are a little different. But I agree don’t let anyone see it.
DAB4E293-371C-402F-859F-E9F82A6DEBA8.png

OP's next thread.....Anyone know a good lawyer? [laugh]
@nstassel needs a boat...
67e.jpg
And if OP's case buys him one,
he can even arrange Tragic Boating Accidents for future clients
who want to convert some of their collections to cloud-based firearms.
ETA: Which makes the cost of running it a deductible business expense...

I have done it many times is a soft case, 10-15 years ago when milsurps where still reasonable, I would ride up to NH and tour the gun shops C&R in hand seldom came home empty handed. Put them in a soft case flat on back seat barrel end sticking out under sissy bar. Never went thought Boston always took 128 on way home

Non high cap shotgun so

Put the field stripped shotgun In a backpack or duffle bag and strap that to the seat or backrest.

The quote you provide here is for transport of a large cap fire arm......op says it is not large cap so your whole post is absolutely and completely meaningless.

The op could transport it unloaded and in a duffle bag strapped to the bike and not even disassemble it. However, field stripping it would make it easier to fit on the bike I'm sure.

No wonder Mass is the way it is. Just carry the damn thing and stop worrying! I'll bet everything I own there is absolutely not one person doing time for carrying a shotgun on a motorcycle. Not one. Unless that person had dozens of other charges as well. Unload it, lock the trigger or action, and go on your way.

Trigger lock & soft case should be fine. I wouldn't have it out in the open just in case it falls off or some dumb shit like that. Murphy's law always kick's in when trying to carry something oddly shaped on a bike.

Trigger lock & soft case should be fine. I wouldn't have it out in the open just in case it falls off or some dumb shit like that. Murphy's law always kick's in when trying to carry something oddly shaped on a bike.

The trigger lock is only needed (or useful, per MGLs) if you leave the gun on the bike and go into, for instance, a store, as now you're storing, not transporting.

If you do it, either be subtle (guitar case, I used to do that, but in a minivan), or give no fukz. We had a regular guest at our club, who was an older (80-ish+), guy. He occasionally rode up on his Harley, with his cased Trap gun - just cased, not broken down, along the side of the bike. He only shot in the warm weather. So, one day I gave him some crap, about being a weather wimp: "I can't shoot Trap in the Winter....I'm too busy skiing!" [rofl] He had the minimal fukz attitude.

Back
Top Bottom