• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transportation question

somewhere in the pits of hell. (Massachusetts)
So i was thinking,theoretically speaking, say i was going to stay at a buddys house for a weekend and wanted to bring my firearm as i have a Class A Unrestricted, but were going out to the bars before we head to his place and store it in my car locked up and secured to the car. Would it be legal if a firearm is properly stored under MGLtransportation laws when you are legally intoxicated and a friend is driving your car because he is a DD. Or would that be illegal because it is illegal to possess a firearm when intoxicated? even though it is locked and secured?

So i was thinking,theoretically speaking, say i was going to stay at a buddys house for a weekend and wanted to bring my firearm as i have a Class A Unrestricted, but were going out to the bars before we head to his place and store it in my car locked up and secured to the car. Would it be legal if a firearm is properly stored under MGLtransportation laws when you are legally intoxicated and a friend is driving your car because he is a DD. Or would that be illegal because it is illegal to possess a firearm when intoxicated? even though it is locked and secured?

I understand your thoughts about what to do with your firearm while your away and your trying to be responsible. My suggestion is..... if you have a locked case in your car then why not place that locked case in the home of your friend before you go out. provided it is stored properly. or...................................
Here's a radical thought:

Maybe the one with the GUN should be the one who stays SOBER.

what scrivener said or..........

leave the gat at home..... [cheers]

what chetd said. If your drinking then having a CW on or around you is useless because you can't use it and have it hold up in court.

If you have your gun in the car with you and are intoxicated, and nobody else in the car is licensed to possess said firearm... you're going to be in deep s***, since none of the others can legally possess or transport said handgun.

I knew of someone that was in that exact situation. The passenger was drunk and had an LTC, gun was locked in the trunk. It did not end well after a traffic stop.

So if I have a few beers in my house and my gun is locked up, what is the difference? if the gun is locked in the car or the house? Stored is stored. Or does storage in a car not really storage even though the storage law says nothing about location of said lock box. I don't mean locked in the trunk. I mean locked in a box locked in the trunk. Does that make a difference?

How about a hotel room. I lock the gun in a box and leave it in my hotel room and go have 6 beers. Is that considered stored or is that in the middle of a transport?

If you're in the car with the gun you are actively transporting it whether or not you are driving as no one else can legally be doing so. That means you are responsible for it. If it is locked up at home or in a hotel, it is simple storage, not transprt.

Back
Top Bottom