• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transport

Before I get off my lazy but I'll ask you guys. Do I need to worry about anything while transporting my Glock and AR down to NC?

Before I get off my lazy but I'll ask you guys. Do I need to worry about anything while transporting my Glock and AR down to NC?

Follow ALL traffic laws. Don't speed. Be a couteous driver. Make sure they are ALL locked up and locked in the trunk of your car. You cannot stop in between here and there (given that you're good to go in NC) for any length of time, other than to gas up or eat. And have a safe trip. [smile]

Thanks Lynne. I'm looking forward to the trip. I haven't seen the family in about a year. I want to bring them with me because I want to introduce my brother to firearms and how much fun they are. I would prefer to use mine instead of renting them down south.

# 1 rule of drug/gun running... make certain all your lights are in operating order (brake, stop, turn, headlights). [wink]

Peaceable Journey laws or not... I'd avoid any stops in NY, NJ, MD or any other gun unfriendly state or state with an AWB/hi-cap mag ban.

Stay out of New Jersey with ANY hollowpoint ammo. It's probably best to plan a route that will bypass NJ altogether.

I haven't seen the family in about a year. I want to bring them with me because I want to introduce my brother to firearms and how much fun they are. I would prefer to use mine instead of renting them down south.

Had you bothered to get off your lazy butt (note correct spelling) and done ANY sort of search, you'd have found the requirements on this and any other firearms forum.

Note that all the above admonitions ignored the key elements of lawful transport:

1. You must be legal to possess the guns in BOTH the states of origination and destination; and

2. The guns must be in locked cases or a locked trunk, unloaded, with ammo separately secured.

And it is carrying HP ammo that is unlawful in NJ; mere possession is not.

I'd avoid NJ completely,
you can't avoid driving thru NY
so I'd take I-84 straight from the Mass Pike to Scranton PA, then south on I-81
easy enough to make it to Scranton without stopping.

Follow ALL traffic laws. Don't speed. Be a couteous driver. Make sure they are ALL locked up and locked in the trunk of your car. You cannot stop in between here and there (given that you're good to go in NC) for any length of time, other than to gas up or eat. And have a safe trip. [smile]

can't stop to sleep?

Hey Matt thanks for the link. Thanks for everyone’s help. With all the crap laws changing from state to state you'd think they're setting us up to get caught.

Personally with the track record of NY & NJ ignoring FOPA, I wouldn't stop in either state for more than a "NY second"! Once into places like PA, sanity returns and it's safe to spend the night.

Personally with the track record of NY & NJ ignoring FOPA, I wouldn't stop in either state for more than a "NY second"! Once into places like PA, sanity returns and it's safe to spend the night.

My wife and I will be driving straight down to NC. I’m not worried about anything with NC especially when it pertains to rifles. I’ve decided to leave my Glock at home. I’ll only be bringing my AR and an empty mag, no ammo. No need for anything else since I’ll be at the range for no longer than a few hours.

Had you bothered to get off your lazy butt (note correct spelling) and done ANY sort of search, you'd have found the requirements on this and any other firearms forum.

Note that all the above admonitions ignored the key elements of lawful transport:

1. You must be legal to possess the guns in BOTH the states of origination and destination; and

2. The guns must be in locked cases or a locked trunk, unloaded, with ammo separately secured.

And it is carrying HP ammo that is unlawful in NJ; mere possession is not.

Do please tell me where I ignored the key elements of lawful transport, Oh High and Mighty one. I took the effort of quoting my own post and highlighted your two points in my response to him. Maybe my 2nd highlight was not clear enough, but I figured that he'd understand what I meant by "given that you're good to go in NC". Do try reading all the posts before you add your admonisions, dear. [rolleyes]

I am driving throughj NY/NJ this week with my stuff. Do not stop in NY, and in NJ I only stop at a rest stop for a quick meal.

Do please tell me where I ignored the key elements of lawful transport, Oh High and Mighty one. I took the effort of quoting my own post and highlighted your two points in my response to him.

You failed to include the requirement about the separate storage of ammo. Many people carry a loaded mag in the same case as the gun.

Do try reading all the posts before you add your admonisions, dear.

I DID. Go thou, and do likewise. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom