Transport question

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Was at the range today with my Yugo M48A Mauser.

As I was ending my shooting session, I pulled the bolt, locked the bolt in my ammo box, and ran a magwell style cable lock through the rear bolt retaining ring.

I do this because the trigger locks I have are a pain in the ass to fit over the trigger and guard on this particular rifle.

Fudd tells me I am going to jail because I don't have a trigger lock.

I am 99.9999999% sure I am good because the bolt can't be installed as there is a cable lock in the way, and the bolt is also locked away.

Thoughts?

In Massachusetts you can just toss it in the back seat with the bolt in it. Trigger lock is good Massprudence but not necessary. You can actually do that with an M1 Garand at the age of 18 and still be legal.

Better the way you do it and keep it covered cause Ma LEO's don't know the law and are likely to hang you up if you scare them.

Trigger locks, cable locks, etc don't factor into the transport laws. I hope the fudd gets jammed up with a trigger locked gun in his backseat. My 2 cents- unloaded in a locked container while transporting eliminates any doubts and will cover you 100% all the time.

Trigger locks, cable locks, etc don't factor into the transport laws. I hope the fudd gets jammed up with a trigger locked gun in his backseat. My 2 cents- unloaded in a locked container while transporting eliminates any doubts and will cover you 100% all the time.

Let me be clear I also tossed it in a soft sided case.

trigger lock has no legal benefit for any transport case. high capacity long gun needs to be unloaded in locked container. handguns and low capacity long guns can be stacked like cord wood in plain sight as long as unloaded. not prudent but legal. handgun can me loaded if under your control.

MGL 140 131C

storage cares about trigger locks.

MGL 140 131L

trigger lock has no legal benefit for any transport case. high capacity long gun needs to be unloaded in locked container. handguns and low capacity long guns can be stacked like cord wood in plain sight as long as unloaded. not prudent but legal. handgun can me loaded if under your control.

MGL 140 131C

MGL 140 131L

Had to make a couple stops on the way home. Better safe than sorry.

Was at the range today with my Yugo M48A Mauser.

As I was ending my shooting session, I pulled the bolt, locked the bolt in my ammo box, and ran a magwell style cable lock through the rear bolt retaining ring.

I do this because the trigger locks I have are a pain in the ass to fit over the trigger and guard on this particular rifle.

Fudd tells me I am going to jail because I don't have a trigger lock.

I am 99.9999999% sure I am good because the bolt can't be installed as there is a cable lock in the way, and the bolt is also locked away.

Thoughts?
You’re right and he should be tazed.

MGL 140 131C

MGL 140 131L

I would bet on a prosecution (successful) for stacking handguns in plain sight and not in a locked case. I know that the wording of the law could be better, but it is not something that I would do or advocate others to do.

As for low capacity long guns, that is true, but most LEOs would arrest, most DAs would likely prosecute and the cost even if you win would be huge. Realize that most LEOs in MA are not "gun people" and wouldn't know a low capacity gun from a large capacity gun just by looking at it, so when in doubt they would likely arrest and let the courts sort it out. You don't want to be that person, it is a long and expensive journey.

I would bet on a prosecution (successful) for stacking handguns in plain sight and not in a locked case. I know that the wording of the law could be better, but it is not something that I would do or advocate others to do.

As for low capacity long guns, that is true, but most LEOs would arrest, most DAs would likely prosecute and the cost even if you win would be huge. Realize that most LEOs in MA are not "gun people" and wouldn't know a low capacity gun from a large capacity gun just by looking at it, so when in doubt they would likely arrest and let the courts sort it out. You don't want to be that person, it is a long and expensive journey.

I shoot USPSA and IDPA. I've got friends who keep telling me while I'm in CT that I should come shoot matches in Mass with them. And all I can think is "F150 with Georgia plates and firearms, no Mass paperwork - no thanks". I know that the chances of being stopped are slim. I know that I should be able to figure out how to do this legally. But the fear (yes "fear") of getting tied up in an expensive legal battle just keeps me out of Massachusetts when I'm up north.

In Massachusetts you can just toss it in the back seat with the bolt in it. Trigger lock is good Massprudence but not necessary. You can actually do that with an M1 Garand at the age of 18 and still be legal.

Better the way you do it and keep it covered cause Ma LEO's don't know the law and are likely to hang you up if you scare them.

15, actually, with an FID.

So an unloaded, non-large capacity bolt action 22 rifle in a non-locking soft case in the backseat of a car is legal but you think most LEOs would arrest and DAs would prosecute? Damn.

So an unloaded, non-large capacity bolt action 22 rifle in a non-locking soft case in the backseat of a car is legal but you think most LEOs would arrest and DAs would prosecute? Damn.
Yes on both counts. If you dig around you will learn that I testified as an expert witness in a criminal case . . . defendant was charged with possession of a large capacity rifle (to wit - standard Norinco SKS) and large capacity clips (standard 10 rd clips for said rifle to feed the internal magazine). MSP Ballistics "expert" gave verbal and written testimony that the gun was an 11 rd (plus 1 in chamber) gun!!

Len,

You've related/cited this story several times....how did you get the gig?
I was asked to give a customized version of my Mass Gun Law Seminar, specific for Constables doing their job and an attendee was a former police officer in my department. After the mini-seminar he came up to me and told me that he was working on a case (he is now a PI and Constable) and wanted to bring me in as an expert witness on the gun laws. I wish more of those would come my way. Interesting work even though I'm not a fan of entering courthouses.

Thanks. Both for the answer, and the edjumakation you pass along, here.

Though, I'd guess being a non-prosecution firearms expert witness in the PRM must have been like a voodoo priest showing up at the Salem courthouse in 1692! [laugh]
To the ADA it was! He was royally pissed at my answers. He should have known better than to ask questions that he did:
- Isn't it true that all guns must be registered? [Defendent had moved to MA from ME. I have no idea when/where he bought it however.] He went on and on regarding that question, just kept digging his hole deeper and deeper.
- How do you know about this SKS? [I hold a C&R FFL and have a number of them from different countries, plus own that exact same model - bought it at the GOAL/NES sale that Jon Green ran a number of years ago.]

Back
Top Bottom