• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transport long gun in Rhode Island

Just searched found no real answers.

Is it legal to go to Rhode island with a unloaded shotun in the car?

All I found was no carrying or transporting handguns if stopping there.

Ma resident either in the trunk or on the passenger seat with a coat on top of it unloaded going to a dangerous area to buy some Electronics obviously ma LTC is useless there.

why a shotgun then ? just a pistol in locked case? and some mags separate i wouldn't wanna be you getting pulled over with a shotgun covered by a coat lol

or not buy junk in a shitty hood ?

It actually worked out fine I went with the M16 A1 bayonet (was a definitely bad neighborhood but it was just two 13 year olds). You cannot have a handgun at all in a car in Rhode Island without a permit. Unless you're passing through and not making any stops. Still unsure on long guns.

In Ma you can have a non large cap rifle or shotgun unloaded in the passenger compartment while you're driving and if you get out of the vehicle you have to equip it with either a trigger lock or a locked case.

It actually worked out fine I went with the M16 A1 bayonet (was a definitely bad neighborhood but it was just two 13 year olds). You cannot have a handgun at all in a car in Rhode Island without a permit. Unless you're passing through and not making any stops. Still unsure on long guns.

In Ma you can have a non large cap rifle or shotgun unloaded in the passenger compartment while you're driving and if you get out of the vehicle you have to equip it with either a trigger lock or a locked case.

Your "no handgun at all" part isnt quite accurate (unless something has changed in the law since this was written): Guns in Vehicles in Rhode Island | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence Did something change? Im curious.

Last edited:
It's my understanding to even transport a unloaded handgun or have one on you at all in a vehicle you need a Rhode Island permit or you have to be leaving the store you just purchased from which would imply a resident or you're going to a bona fide shooting range

Yeah I just read the link and if you're going to Rhode Island and actually stopping there you need a permit to have a handgun in the vehicle. And no sawed-off shotguns and rifles and no firearms while dealing drugs which is pretty obvious

Yeah I just read the link and if you're going to Rhode Island and actually stopping there you need a permit to have a handgun in the vehicle. And no sawed-off shotguns and rifles and no firearms while dealing drugs which is pretty obvious

Yes, but the carve out to carry while passing through with no intention of stopping in the state is different from your claim that basically you can’t have one at all.

It's more complicated. Se 11-47-9

[11-47-9 shall not apply to ] to the regular and/or ordinary transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise; nor to any person while transporting a pistol, or revolvers, unloaded from the place of purchase to their residence; or place of business, from their residence to their place of business or from their place of business to their residence, or to a federal firearms licensee for the purpose of sale, to or from a bona fide gunsmith, or firearms repair facility, to any police station or other location designated as a site of a bona fide "gun buy-back" program, but only if said pistol or revolver is unloaded and any ammunition for said pistol or revolver is not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such vehicle while transporting same and further provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm or the ammunition shall be stored in a locked container.

And see this:

§ 11-47-10. License or permit not required to carry to target range.

No license or permit shall be required for the purpose of carrying or transporting any pistol or revolver from one's home or place of business to a bona fide target practice range, nor from a bona fide target practice range to one's home or place of business, to engage in any shoot meet, or practice, provided that the pistol or revolver is broken down, unloaded and carried as openly as circumstances will permit, or provided that the pistols or revolvers are unloaded and secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose.

So basically, if the shotgun is locked in the trunk in a box and the ammo is locked separately, and you are going to a range or to a friends house for a legitimate purpose with the shotgun you are good to go. Now if you are just tooling around RI and would like to carry one in your trunk for fun, you are breaking the law.

So basically, if the shotgun is locked in the trunk in a box and the ammo is locked separately, and you are going to a range or to a friends house for a legitimate purpose with the shotgun you are good to go. Now if you are just tooling around RI and would like to carry one in your trunk for fun, you are breaking the law.
11-47-8(a), 9 & 10 apply to "Pistol or Revolver" only.

I see nothing in RI state law restricting the transport of an ordinary, unloaded, shotgun or rifle.

That's correct but I guarantee that the cop who stops you doesn't know that and you'll still get jammed up. There is no explicit law on shotguns in the trunk but if you are driving around the state and can't demonstrate you have a purpose (going to a friends house to shoot, going to a range, going hunting, going to the LGS, etc.) the LEO is not going to be impressed and will make your life uncomfortable.

I've been transporting every sort of firearm to and from and through RI for many years. To and from gun stores, gunsmiths and shooting ranges. Locked in trunk with ammo separate.

If Im in RI with a shotgun, or rifle. I'm usually going to Addieville to hunt, shoot the range, or shoot sporting clays. Pretty good excuse for anyone to use.

Digging up this old thread. I have my Mass LTC and am planning to drive to Connecticut, stay there a few nights, and then go to Peacedale on the way home in RI to shoot sporting clays. Does anyone see a problem with this? My shotgun with be in a locked case unless I'm using it at Peacedale and ammo will be in a separate locked case (the way I transport it in Mass).

Digging up this old thread. I have my Mass LTC and am planning to drive to Connecticut, stay there a few nights, and then go to Peacedale on the way home in RI to shoot sporting clays. Does anyone see a problem with this? My shotgun with be in a locked case unless I'm using it at Peacedale and ammo will be in a separate locked case (the way I transport it in Mass).

No problem with bringing a gun into RI to go to a range like Peacedale. Read RIGL 11-47-10:

11-47-10

11-47-10 applies to handguns. There's no requirement to have a carry permit at all to transport long guns in RI.

You'll be fine. CT law says that you need CT permit to PURCHASE ammo or firearms. You're NOT purchasing.
CT law says that you need permit to carry handgun. You're not carrying a handgun.

And I'm glad you mentioned that your ammo will be in a separate locked case, 'cause that takes care of two issues - storage and you can't buy ammo in CT without a permit.

BTW, your MA LTC isn't recognized by CT, CT doesn't recognize any other state's permit.

Back
Top Bottom