• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfers

You're right that there is no restriction on what you can sell privately- but only when it comes to pre Healey MA Compliant AR's, and handguns not on the FFL approved roster. The "assault weapons" ban is entirely different. This law not only effects sale but also ownership. It is illegal for any civilian to own an AR that wasn't made prior to 1994. It doesn't matter how you come by it.

Last edited:
You're right that there is no restriction on what you can sell privately- but only when it comes to post Healey MA Compliant AR's, and handguns not on the FFL approved roster. The "assault weapons" ban is entirely different. This law not only effects sale but also ownership. It is illegal for any civilian to own an AR that wasn't made prior to 1994. It doesn't matter how you come by it.
This is all I was looking for. Thank you.

You're right that there is no restriction on what you can sell privately- but only when it comes to post Healey MA Compliant AR's, and handguns not on the FFL approved roster. The "assault weapons" ban is entirely different. This law not only effects sale but also ownership. It is illegal for any civilian to own an AR that wasn't made prior to 1994. It doesn't matter how you come by it.

Except it isn't. It is Maura interpretation and those ARs sold before her enforcement notice were legally sold by dealers everywhere in the state.

Except it isn't. It is Maura interpretation and those ARs sold before her enforcement notice were legally sold by dealers everywhere in the state.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Yes, MA compliant AR's sold before Healey's enforcement notice are fair game to be sold on the private market. The OP stated "pre-ban" ar's which makes me think they are talking about a non-restricted, non-MA compliant AR which would be illegal to sell to any civilian in Massachusetts unless it was produced before the original AWB.

In her press briefing from this day she explicitly states this is not the case. She has also made it clear that her office will not be enforcing retroactively.

I believe the exact quote was "You may have thought you were following the law..."

Course, her office doesn't enforce and you only have her word on that.

With that all said, her guidance indicates peer to peer transfers are legal.

With that

You're right that there is no restriction on what you can sell privately- but only when it comes to pre Healey MA Compliant AR's, and handguns not on the FFL approved roster. The "assault weapons" ban is entirely different. This law not only effects sale but also ownership. It is illegal for any civilian to own an AR that wasn't made prior to 1994. It doesn't matter how you come by it.

Except that you are wrong.

Its legal to own any post ban gun that was acquired post ban. The Maura edict may or may not have the power of law. We won't know until its litigated. In the mean time, any AR acquired between 94 and the edict in 2016 IS LEGAL. If for no other reason that for 22 years the state gave guidance that post ban guns were legal. Based on that, if they really wanted to outlaw them, they would have to pay us all for them. Its that whole 5A takings without compensation thing.

why did you delete your original post?? Now others have no idea what question you asked. So they can't learn by reading it.
I deleted it due to the first 3 responses on this thread. To paraphrase it was basically, I'm looking to have a LEO friend purchase a post ban AR and then pass it on at some point down the line, and I was questioning the legality and such. Seemed like its a touchy subject so once I got the info I needed erased the post.

I deleted it due to the first 3 responses on this thread. To paraphrase it was basically, I'm looking to have a LEO friend purchase a post ban AR and then pass it on at some point down the line, and I was questioning the legality and such. Seemed like its a touchy subject so once I got the info I needed erased the post.

OP, while YOU got an answer, that's not exactly how NES or for that matter any message board works. Touchy subject or not, historical reference is usually preferred.

Just sayin

Jay

Looking again at some of the first three answers, and without seeing your actual question, I don't see any response regarding you asking a "Friend" LEO to straw purchase a weapon to "pass it on some point down the line".

And just my opinion, I would never ask a friend to jeopardize his life, his family way of life, his career, his reputation (all assuming he gets caught and convicted) , over some "black iron" (gun or whatever) from whatever year. If my friend ever asked something like, they wouldn't be my friend for very long.

Best of luck to you,

Jay

Last edited:
Looking again at some of the first three answers, and without seeing your actual question, I don't see any response regarding you asking a "Friend" LEO to straw purchase a weapon to "pass it on some point down the line".

And just my opinion, I would never ask a friend to jeopardize his life, his family way of life, his career, his reputation (all assuming he gets caught and convicted) , over some "black iron" (gun or whatever) from whatever year. If my friend ever asked something like, they wouldn't by friend for very long.

Best of luck to you,

Jay
The original question was if the proper legal transfer of such a firearm was something that was possible. Not a behind the back, dark alley hand off.

The original question was if the proper legal transfer of such a firearm was something that was possible. Not a behind the back, dark alley hand off.

Sorry, but it seems very few people, including myself, Never saw you OP with the words "proper legal transfer". All I saw was

Again, best of luck to you and your LEO friend.

Stay safe, sanitized, and aware.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom