• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transferring old firearms to another person

je25ff

NES Member
So, I've been given the opportunity to possibly get some older firearms from a relative. These were purchased, owned, etc. many years ago. Do I still need to do an FA-10? There are likely going to be some flintlock rifles as well. I don't think those need FA-10s right?

First question: Is the person still licensed to own the firearms in question. If yes then 4 can be done on a FA-10 , as long as you have availability left, if the person is not currently licensed, then a FFL has to be involved.

If you know for certain the date of manufacture is before the cutoff date (1899?) then IIRC those are not required to be treated as firearms, but IANAL so wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to confirm or deny this.

Ah ok. These are reproduction flintlocks made in the 50s I believe. For some reason I was under the impression that flintlock/percussion cap was deemed, "antique" /facepalm.

Yes, the person who owns them is licensed. In terms of availability, I forget what the annual purchase/transfer number is. There are likely about 10 long guns that I might be given.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the answer in this thread. 4 transfers per calendar year. Dam, I should have asked about this in December [sad2]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...I-am-sure-this-question-has-been-asked-before

Last edited:
Ah ok. These are reproduction flintlocks made in the 50s I believe. For some reason I was under the impression that flintlock/percussion cap was deemed, "antique" /facepalm.

Yes, the person who owns them is licensed. In terms of availability, I forget what the annual purchase/transfer number is. There are likely about 10 long guns that I might be given.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the answer in this thread. 4 transfers per calendar year. Dam, I should have asked about this in December [sad2]

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...I-am-sure-this-question-has-been-asked-before

Flintlocks whether original or repros are Exempt from licensing and FA-10 forms. Thus an unlimited number can be transferred by just handing them over or with a private bill of sale.

Flintlocks whether original or repros are Exempt from licensing and FA-10 forms. Thus an unlimited number can be transferred by just handing them over or with a private bill of sale.

Ahhh, cool that makes things a lot easier. Thanks for the help, guys.

Back
Top Bottom