Transferring guns into Mass. from NH

I have a bit of a question in regards to bringing a pair of guns into Massachusetts. My grandfather just moved into a retirement home from his house up in New Hampshire, and he gifted an old .22 and a pump shotgun to me. I am licensed to own both. The problem is, I am unfamiliar with the laws regarding bringing in guns from out of state. Both these guns are fairly old (the .22 is easily over 60, and the shotgun is maybe 40-50), and have been in the family since being bought new.

My question is: are there forms that need to be filled out, or can I just put trigger locks on them, put them in a locked case, and bring them down?

Thanks.

Long guns are easy - just take it to an FFL in NH and do the transfer, then mail in an FA-10 within 7 days of them entering MA. Handguns are a bit more complicated, they must be shipped from an FFL in one state to an FFL in the destination state. You'd be wise to ensure that the receiving FFL is willing to transfer them to you in MA. There's the EOPS list and the AG list (only FFLs have access to this list) that matter here.

I have a bit of a question in regards to bringing a pair of guns into Massachusetts. My grandfather just moved into a retirement home from his house up in New Hampshire, and he gifted an old .22 and a pump shotgun to me. I am licensed to own both. The problem is, I am unfamiliar with the laws regarding bringing in guns from out of state. Both these guns are fairly old (the .22 is easily over 60, and the shotgun is maybe 40-50), and have been in the family since being bought new.

My question is: are there forms that need to be filled out, or can I just put trigger locks on them, put them in a locked case, and bring them down?

Thanks.

Assuming the "old .22" is a rifle...

Interstate transfers of firearms require a FFL. For long-guns, the FFL can be in either state. Your options are:

1. Bring your grandfather and the firearms to a NH FFL who will effect the transfer.

You must file a FA-10 within seven days of the firearms entering MA; or

2. He can ship the firearms to a MA FFL, who will effect the transfer.

In this case, you are not required to submit a FA-10.

...Handguns are a bit more complicated, they must be shipped from an FFL in one state to an FFL in the destination state...

Only one FFL is required (in the transferee's state of residence).

...the AG list (only FFLs have access to this list)...

There is no such "AG list".

This thread explains "handgun compliance"...http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

Would it be too late to convince you not to move from NH freedom into MA slavery?

Simple transfer thru FFL in NH to FFL in MA.

Last edited:
You can be sure that the handgun will NOT be on the EOPS List and therefore MA FFLs are legally forbidden to do the transfer to you (or anyone else in MA).

If a dealer is willing to do it, it's on them, there is no penalty to you. But you best ask and have details about the gun when you do your inquiry.

A few years ago, some in power were advocating that you "borrow" the guns for now and have the owner put them in his Will to leave them to you. Then when the time comes, you just register them on an FA-10 as you will legally inherit them and NO FFLs are required by Fed or MA laws. There is a lot more paranoia these days, so I'm not sure that many would recommend going this route any more.

Assuming the "old .22" is a rifle...

Interstate transfers of firearms require a FFL. For long-guns, the FFL can be in either state. Your options are:

1. Bring your grandfather and the firearms to a NH FFL who will effect the transfer.

You must file a FA-10 within seven days of the firearms entering MA; or

2. He can ship the firearms to a MA FFL, who will effect the transfer.

In this case, you are not required to submit a FA-10.

Only one FFL is required (in the transferee's state of residence).

There is no such "AG list".

This thread explains "handgun compliance"...http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

My bad on the FFL. What I meant with the AG list, was the list of guns that a randomly knocked off because someone in the AGs office thinks they are non-compliant with the standards that are not clearly defined.

Would it be too late to convince you not to move from NH freedom into MA slavery?

Heh, I actually live here in MA (unfortunately). My grandfather had lived in NH, but he has recently retired and moved to a retirement home here in MA. We are cleaning out his house, and nobody else wanted his old guns.

In any case, thank you all very much for your help. I think I'll hit up one of the local gunshops in NH, and maybe tomorrow I will go to the local PD to get an FA-10. Do I need one for each?

Thanks again folks.

Edit: to clarify, the .22 is a bolt action rifle.

You can be sure that the handgun will NOT be on the EOPS List and therefore MA FFLs are legally forbidden to do the transfer to you (or anyone else in MA).
If the .22 is a pistol and 60 years old then couldn't he just get a C&R FFL and then have the pistol transferred to himself from an FFL in NH?

As Kevlar stated, if the guns are long guns, there is no need for an FFL in MA.

So wait, if they are long guns (and they are, I only have a lowly FID right now), all I need is to fill out an FA-10 on them with no FFL transfer? Sorry for all the questions, dealing with this stuff is fairly new to me, and dealing with these stacked MA laws make me nervous as hell.

NO NO NO - that's interstate transfer of firearms, a federal felony. You need to go to an FFL either in NH or MA and do the transfer, THEN you need to fill out an FA-10. If you go to an FFL in MA you don't need to do the FA-10, they will do it for you.

... My grandfather had lived in NH, but he has recently retired and moved to a retirement home here in MA. ...

In this case, there's no interstate transfer involved, since he's now a Massachusetts resident. The fact that he used to live in NH, likely obtained the guns there, and that the guns might still be in NH is not relevant. Just take him and the guns to a MA dealer, not an NH one, to do the transfer (on the assumption that he doesn't have a Mass FID or LTC).

Ken

In this case, there's no interstate transfer involved, since he's now a Massachusetts resident. The fact that he used to live in NH, likely obtained the guns there, and that the guns might still be in NH is not relevant. Just take him and the guns to a MA dealer, not an NH one, to do the transfer (on the assumption that he doesn't have a Mass FID or LTC).

Ken

The OP lives in MA, and the guns & grandpa are in NH. That would be an interstate transfer ;)

ETA...I was wrong about gramps so you are correct.

So wait, if they are long guns (and they are, I only have a lowly FID right now), all I need is to fill out an FA-10 on them with no FFL transfer? Sorry for all the questions, dealing with this stuff is fairly new to me, and dealing with these stacked MA laws make me nervous as hell.
No.

Previously, we thought he still lived in NH, and you lived in MA. A previous poster said that two FFLs were needed, one in NH and one in MA. In that situation, you could do the transfer through a NH FFL -- only one FFL would be needed.

You can buy a gun from:

- a private individual who resides in your state.
- an FFL in your state.
- you can buy a long gun from an FFL in ANY state. Any handgun that you buy from an out of state FFL must be transferred through an FFL in your state of residence.

But now you have us all confused as it seems your grandfather now lives in MA.

Are the guns still in NH? Is the grandpa now a MA resident? If so, then drive up to NH and get the guns. Then pick up grandpa, take him and the guns to a MA FFL, and have the MA FFL transfer them to you.

If your grandpa is a resident of MA, you still can't do a private transfer with him since he does not have an LTC or FID.

Last edited:
In this case, there's no interstate transfer involved, since he's now a Massachusetts resident.....Just take him and the guns to a MA dealer, not an NH one, to do the transfer (on the assumption that he doesn't have a Mass FID or LTC).

Ken
No. Previously, we thought he still lived in NH, and you lived in MA.....But now you have us all confused as it seems your grandfather now lives in MA.

Are the guns still in NH? Is the grandpa now a MA resident? If so, then drive up to NH and get the guns. Then pick up grandpa, take him and the guns to a MA FFL, and have the MA FFL transfer them to you.

Yup, I thought grandpa still lived in NH. If he is now a MA resident, bring them both to a MA FFL.

But if the handguns aren't on the list can the dealer still transfer them to the recipient (assuming both are MA residents)? I thought this was the sticky point in most of these types of transactions.

But if the handguns aren't on the list can the dealer still transfer them to the recipient (assuming both are MA residents)? I thought this was the sticky point in most of these types of transactions.
He's got long guns, not handguns.

Yes, if the guns involved were handguns, they would need to be compliant for a MA FFL to transfer them.

Back
Top Bottom