• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transferring guns from RI to Mass

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
Question for the law gurus here on NES. My sister in law has a shotgun, a 22 rifle and some sort of black powder gun. that she would like to give to me. She is in RI and I am in Mass. I have no clue about RI laws, I know she is not licensed in any way (guns belonged to her Ex who has been in China for 10 years). She needs them gone as she is selling house.

I am hoping that I can simply take them and EFA10 them into Mass, can I legally? Or do I need to include FFL(s). If I need FFL, I suspect I need both RI and Mass to handle transfers across state lines??? How does that work on her end where she is not licensed?

I want to help her out, (and would not mind having the guns!). but do not want to run afoul of the law.

Also, can I legally take them (from RI) and store them in Mass for her prior to actually transferring or FA10????

Thanks for any insight!

The black powder gun is good to go no transfer needed..... If they are your sisters guns I believe you could borrow or store them for her with no transfer required.

The black powder gun is good to go no transfer needed..... If they are your sisters guns I believe you could borrow or store them for her with no transfer required.
I consider her my sis-in-law but my girlfriend and I are not married. So I am not sure about crossing state lines... Now it looks like her son wants them, so may not be my problem anyway. Though I suspect he is not up on RI law.... I think he needs a "permit to purchase" which takes 7 days. Guns need to be out by Sat. But not my problem now.
Appreciate all the advice, please weigh in with more!

I consider her my sis-in-law but my girlfriend and I are not married. So I am not sure about crossing state lines... Now it looks like her son wants them, so may not be my problem anyway. Though I suspect he is not up on RI law.... I think he needs a "permit to purchase" which takes 7 days. Guns need to be out by Sat. But not my problem now.
Appreciate all the advice, please weigh in with more!

RI doesn't require a "permit to purchase," unless you mean the "Blue Card" for pistols, which can be substituted-for with a hunter's safety card. The Blue Card is only required for handguns and not long guns. RI requires two background checks. The two background checks are typically done at the FFL where you buy the gun from or where the transfer happens. Nothing more is functionally required than going to the FFL, saying "hi, I'd like to do a transfer," doing the monetary exchange, filling out the two forms, and waiting the seven days assuming the buyer doesn't have a RI town carry permit and passes the checks (the town background check has a few details different than NICS like employment/employer but is basically a local version of NICS).

Caveat: this is assuming you have a "normal" buyer and a "normal" seller and the guns aren't in the middle of probate or a testamentary trust. If probate is going on or there's a trust, ask the lawyer about that aspect.

You can do a private sale in RI without going through a FFL if you comply with all the statutory requirements. That's probably not a good idea if both sides had no understanding of RI gun laws and no RI carry permits.

11-47-35

11-47-35.2

Last edited by a moderator:
What in the hell are people registering anything for? Haven’t you seen what they are doing in California? Haven’t you seen what they are doing with Red Flag laws? Even if you get raided, they won’t know those exist - don’t make their life as easy as a file on a computer.

What in the hell are people registering anything for? Haven’t you seen what they are doing in California? Haven’t you seen what they are doing with Red Flag laws? Even if you get raided, they won’t know those exist - don’t make their life as easy as a file on a computer.
If the op is wanting actual ownership of the shotgun and the current owner is in RI federal law with ATF requires that an ffl is involved. Has nothing really to do with mass efa 10 and registration.

Now.....can he "borrow" it and keep it in his home? That's another debate.....but to be safe he should take possession in ri and bring the thing to an ffl and get the transfer done according to ATF regs.

I see you point and do not disagree. But I also do not want to fun afoul of the law.

Again thanks everyone, this is great discussion. I think he kid is taking the guns, so I do not need to worry about them. Hopefully he understands RI law and does the right thing, but not my problem if he does not. I don't think he can get them out of the house legally by Saturday because of the 7 day wait in RI. But not my issue, now, I was trying to help and keep things on the up and up. But if he want to handle it so be it.

Just for my own clarification, could the OP and his SIL bring the guns to a dealer in RI for the transfer and then the OP registers them within 7 days of bringing them back to MA? I know handguns can't be done that way as they would need to be shipped/brought to a MA dealer. But I know it's a little different with long guns.

Last edited:
Just for my own clarification, could the OP and his SIL bring the guns to a dealer in RI for the transfer and then the OP registers them within 7 days of bringing them back to MA? I know handguns can't be done that way as they would need to be shipped to a MA dealer. But I know it's a little different with long guns.
That could be done as well if the ri ffl is willing to do it. Long guns as long as the new owner is legal to possess the fire arm in the state they are taking possession and the state they reside in the transfer can be done in the sellers state. Like you said though.......handguns need to be taken posession of in the buyer's state of residence.

As he crosses from RI to MA with his SIL (who is unlicensed) and weapons in the vehicle, wouldn't he be committing a felony? ;)
I'm not aware of any law in mass that states all occupants of a vehicle in which a fire arm is being transported need to have a mass ltc or fid.

We're you referring to the gun being technically owned by the ri resident being the problem?

I'm not aware of any law in mass that states all occupants of a vehicle in which a fire arm is being transported need to have a mass ltc or fid.

We're you referring to the gun being technically owned by the ri resident being the problem?

With the ambiguous and arcane MA laws, I was speaking from a perspective of being facetious ;)

I see you point and do not disagree. But I also do not want to fun afoul of the law.

Again thanks everyone, this is great discussion. I think he kid is taking the guns, so I do not need to worry about them. Hopefully he understands RI law and does the right thing, but not my problem if he does not. I don't think he can get them out of the house legally by Saturday because of the 7 day wait in RI. But not my issue, now, I was trying to help and keep things on the up and up. But if he want to handle it so be it.

If he gets the guns to a FFL today, the FFL will hold onto them in their safe until the 7 days are up. Both parties just need to get the transfer done at a RI FFL before the house sale. Then the FFL keeps them for a week.

Note that RI'ers don't need a carry permit to transport guns to certain places like FFLs within RI. There's an exemption I can pull up if needed after I get home from work and class.

If he gets the guns to a FFL today, the FFL will hold onto them in their safe until the 7 days are up. Both parties just need to get the transfer done at a RI FFL before the house sale. Then the FFL keeps them for a week.

Note that RI'ers don't need a carry permit to transport guns to certain places like FFLs within RI. There's an exemption I can pull up if needed after I get home from work and class.

Good point, Thanks. I am simply letting them run with it now. The situation is that sis-in-law said she needed to get them out, and I said OK, I will figure it out and take them off your hands (even offered to buy them!). So I spent the time to figure out how to handle it (really just asked here!!!), then she tells me, that son wants them. So OK, I am done.....he can handle it however he sees fit.

Backstory is I have been working for the last week (Two nights after work till 11, all day both Sat and Sunday) to get house ready to list (open house coming this Saturday), 3 truckloads of junk disposed of, 20 yard dumpster full most of the yard cut trimmed and mulched, front of house washed etc. Yet I cannot actually get the garage and basement cleaned out, because of all the shit the son wants. For example, there is a cobbled compressor in garage that needs to be removed, I was going to take it with all the other scrap that I already hauled, but she called son he said he wanted, so I did not bother to disconnect it, left it for him, showed up two days later and said he did not want it (too lazy to disconnect I suspect), so now I need to disconnect it and haul it away.... These guns are another example, and I am getting fed up!

NES is awesome, great advice and I can vent in the same thread!!! Family sure can suck.

You can’t do a personal transfer across state lines — that would be a federal felony. You go to RI, pick up your sister in law and the guns, drive to a MA FFL, and have the FFL do the transfer.

This, or do the transfer (since they are long guns and shotguns.) in RI, but that has a 7 day waiting period. The Muzzleloader is not regulated.

No need to convolute this thread with any more stuff.

Good point, Thanks. I am simply letting them run with it now. The situation is that sis-in-law said she needed to get them out, and I said OK, I will figure it out and take them off your hands (even offered to buy them!). So I spent the time to figure out how to handle it (really just asked here!!!), then she tells me, that son wants them. So OK, I am done.....he can handle it however he sees fit.

Backstory is I have been working for the last week (Two nights after work till 11, all day both Sat and Sunday) to get house ready to list (open house coming this Saturday), 3 truckloads of junk disposed of, 20 yard dumpster full most of the yard cut trimmed and mulched, front of house washed etc. Yet I cannot actually get the garage and basement cleaned out, because of all the shit the son wants. For example, there is a cobbled compressor in garage that needs to be removed, I was going to take it with all the other scrap that I already hauled, but she called son he said he wanted, so I did not bother to disconnect it, left it for him, showed up two days later and said he did not want it (too lazy to disconnect I suspect), so now I need to disconnect it and haul it away.... These guns are another example, and I am getting fed up!

NES is awesome, great advice and I can vent in the same thread!!! Family sure can suck.

Sympathies. You've done a *lot.*

Back
Top Bottom