• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transferring Firearms

Yet another question;

A friend of mine wants to transfer a pistol over to me. He's from CT, I'm obviously from RI. We stopped at one store to ask about transfers, and were told that to complete an out of state transfer, my friend would have to ship the pistol from a FFL dealer in CT to him. However, a few other people I know say that my friend should be able to just drop off the pistol at whatever FFL dealer is going to do the transfer. Do I need to ship the pistol like the first guy said, or is it just his policy? The store I asked was Police Depot. I'm also considering going to Competition Shooters, as they're much closer.

Also, where would I get fingerprinting done in Providence?

Last edited:
IANAL, but it would seem that R.I.G.L. § 11-47-9 would allow your friend to transport the handgun to your FFL in RI to effect the transfer.

Persons exempt from restrictions. – The provisions of § 11-47-8 shall not apply to...any person while transporting a pistol, or revolvers...to a Federal Firearms licensee for the purpose of sale...only if said pistol or revolver is unloaded and any ammunition for said pistol or revolver is not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such vehicle while transporting same and further provided that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment the firearm or the ammunition shall be stored in a locked container...

John at Compitition should do it, it is legal but some FFL's are extra cautious. As well try Heritige in W Warwick, they are doing free transfers.

Back
Top Bottom