• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transferring a stripped AR lower that used to be a gun?

The 'feds' really don't don't give 2 farts once you're done with the 4473. Outside your BS states, you can pretty much do whatever you want with a lower, or legal gun for that matter. Unfortunately, SBR's (now we have 'pistols') and suppressors are regulated, but other than that, no one cares.

Yes with the one exception of you cannot transition a rifle to a pistol, at least by ATF interpretation. Doing so creates an SBR.

In a free state this never comes up with a stripped lower because we buy them, do what we wish, and nobody ever records if it was made into a rifle (unless some day it is sold as such via an FFL, but then the buyer at least understands they bought a rifle)..

In a nazi state where you record what you've got, if a stripped lower has its serial number pinned down as a rifle, it's permanently a rifle no matter where that lower goes next, with a database in MA documenting it. Now of course if you bought such a stripped lower, made it a pistol, then somehow got jammed up, I would guess claiming whatever record existed in MA was fraudulent might be reasonable enough doubt to eventually set you free - but the fed law does matter here in regard to turning rifles into pistols.

I hate to bump an old thread and hope to not add to the fire. But there is a lot of good info here.

Lets say you have a stripped preban (as in 94 AWB) lower that you want to sell in MA. It was originally registered transferred to you and all the paper work through a MA FFL.

Would proper selling/transfer method just be a bill of sale with buyers name, LTC#, etc? Or should I E-FA10 it? I understand it will always be registered to me but just trying to figure out the best way to cover myself. Don't need the gestapo kicking my door in and shooting my dog. All kidding a side.

I don't see the word "16" barrel" anywhere on the OP's post.
The lower is the firearm.
Also, It was originally classified and sold as a rifle. Sorry folks, as far as the FED'S are concerned, it remains a rifle.
The fact that it was stripped doesn't change that.

FWIW, the Feds have everything to do with the transfer of firearms within the state of MA or any state.
You guys are too funny.

Disclaimer; I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.
so;
Contact the ATF
Contact an Attorney
Contact the FRB.

You may do it any 'ole way you want and no one may ever say anything about it.
Didn't mean you were correct about the law.

Please, if you become a "Test Case", have the courtesy of posting the progress here.

Contact the ATF

It's been a few months since this comment was made but since somebody hit resurrect its a good time for a reminder, stop asking the f***ing ATF questions.

I hate to bump an old thread and hope to not add to the fire. But there is a lot of good info here.

Lets say you have a stripped preban (as in 94 AWB) lower that you want to sell in MA. It was originally registered transferred to you and all the paper work through a MA FFL.

Would proper selling/transfer method just be a bill of sale with buyers name, LTC#, etc? Or should I E-FA10 it? I understand it will always be registered to me but just trying to figure out the best way to cover myself. Don't need the gestapo kicking my door in and shooting my dog. All kidding a side.
What would you put for a caliber and barrel length on the eFA10?...asking for a friend.

Bill of sale. If you are dealing with a stripped lower (or even a complete lower) it is not a weapon (firearm, rifle or shotgun) in MA and you cannot FA10 it no matter how hard you try unless you purger yourself. Bill of sale for both your records and move on. The buyer does not even technically need a LTC since it is unregulated. If they build it out they need an LTC but that is not your problem. Personally I want to see an LTC, but that is just me... Bill of Sale. Did I mention Bill of Sale? Think of it as selling a car, a pair of shoes, a chia pet, or a furby.

The reason for the Bill of Sale from your end is if the resulting firearm gets used in a crime and traced. If they knock at your door you show them the Bill of Sale and off they go on their merry way to track down the next owner.

Bill of Sale

What if you sell the lower with a Bill of Sale and the next week sell the same guy the upper?

Back
Top Bottom