Transferring a Pre-Ban AR to Ma. from NH

How would such a person take possession of the rifle?

Does it have to go through FFL in Mass?

How would such a person take possession of the rifle?

Does it have to go through FFL in Mass?
Technically no, it could go thru an FFL in NH, but even a long time ago many in NH and ME refused to sell genuine pre-bans to MA residents . . . and then you add the confusion of a press conference/memo from the AG and I don't think it is worth the effort to try to educate a non-MA FFL.

Slick willy is a crook through and through, but he ain’t no fool. Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Does your friend own vacation property in NH?? A ski place? A lake house?
I ask because if he does and he spends time there, then per the ATF, he is a resident of NH, and all that is required is a handshake deal in NH and that he then eFA10 it when he brings it into MA.

If you don't believe me, please google ATF Form 4473. Question 2 asks for residence address. Go to pg 4 and read the instructions for question 2. It explicitly addresses the issue of weekend/vacation homes.

Tewksbury. He's trying to negotiate a price with NH resident.
There’s no real value to preban in NH unless it’s some collectors status thing.
I dont know who he used for transfer but my friend found a preban IIRC in Texas had it shipped to his FFL in western mass. Paid 650.00 plus shipping

I ask because if he does and he spends time there, then per the ATF, he is a resident of NH, and all that is required is a handshake deal in NH and that he then eFA10 it when he brings it into MA.

If you don't believe me, please google ATF Form 4473. Question 2 asks for residence address. Go to pg 4 and read the instructions for question 2. It explicitly addresses the issue of weekend/vacation homes.

Handshake deal as in private sale? I thought dual residency was only good at ffls for non compliant guns and handguns and such. Figured you had to be a full time resident to do a private sale?

Meet the seller in a FFL dealer in NH. Do the transfer at the FFL in NH (since out of state private seller has to go through FFL) bring it to MA and efa10. It’s a pre 1994 gun.

How long ago was that?? $650 is a fantastic price these days.

People in other states know what these are worth to people in CA, CT, and MA.
Less than a year basic A2
Just got a hold of him, 1992 Olympic arms lower with a unknown A2 upper. Well worn. Finish . Was on the rack with several other AR rifles from the cheap $495 carbines to a few “match “ rifles for $1500
All where plain Jain models. Nothing fancy and only a few brand new ones from the least expensive end..,, what he told me

Last edited:

I’ll have to pass this along to my dad who’s got a skiing/hunting camp in Maine. He’s there almost every weekend in the winter.

He is not lying. Here it is.

upload_2018-12-8_8-4-52.png

Handshake deal as in private sale? I thought dual residency was only good at ffls for non compliant guns and handguns and such. Figured you had to be a full time resident to do a private sale?

Its not dual residency. Every government entity has a different definition of what it takes to be a resident somewhere. The ATF's definition happens to be very generous. You are a resident of the state where your vacation home is when you are there using the residence. Per the ATF. In this case, the ATF is all we care about because NH doesn't have any laws restricting the secondary sale of fireaarms.

Back
Top Bottom