• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer

Good morning,

I was informed by my wife’s uncle that he wants to turn over a few revolvers and pistols to me. These guns were originally my wife’s Grandfathers who is now deceased.

What is the proper way to do this given the fact that I don’t know the current status of these guns in any system ? I’m sure they were registered to her grandfather in MA at one point.
The guns are currently in upstate NY with here uncle.
I can almost guarantee that he did no paperwork for them up there and more than likely her grandfather didn’t either when he moved up there back in 1995.
My thought is that the serial numbers should at least show them to have been his and registered but again not sure what paperwork I need to do or my wife ?
Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide.

Past paperwork is totally irrelevant wrt MGL (with exception noted below).

They need to go thru a MA FFL and if they are on the EOPS List or one can prove that they were in MA on 10/21/1998 (grandfather clause) a MA FFL can legally transfer them. If not, a willing MA FFL could transfer the frames to you and the Uncle could ship the rest of the guts directly to you. Some dealers will do this (perfectly legal) and others won't. Revolvers are a bit trickier.

In MGL, a frame is not a firearm and doesn't have to be registered until able to fire a round (registration, no info on source). Always give all gun info to the MA FFL BEFORE arranging for any transfers. The MA FFL gets the final say on what he/she will or won't do.

My expertise is Mass gun law, not NY . . . so I'll leave it to someone else to tell you how the guns legally get from the Uncle to a NY FFL to ship to a willing MA FFL.

They need to go thru a MA FFL and if they are on the EOPS List or one can prove that they were in MA on 10/21/1998 (grandfather clause) a MA FFL can legally transfer them. If not, a willing MA FFL could transfer the frames to you and the Uncle could ship the rest of the guts directly to you. Some dealers will do this (perfectly legal) and others won't. Revolvers are a bit trickier.

In MGL, a frame is not a firearm and doesn't have to be registered until able to fire a round (registration, no info on source). Always give all gun info to the MA FFL BEFORE arranging for any transfers. The MA FFL gets the final say on what he/she will or won't do.

My expertise is Mass gun law, not NY . . . so I'll leave it to someone else to tell you how the guns legally get from the Uncle to a NY FFL to ship to a willing MA FFL.
as good a place as any to ask, I suppose - does it seem to you that a revolver with its cylinder removed is in a similar place to a pistol without its slide?

(I am bearing in mind, of course, that you are not a lawyer, your reply doesn't constitute legal advice, etc.)

as good a place as any to ask, I suppose - does it seem to you that a revolver with its cylinder removed is in a similar place to a pistol without its slide?

(I am bearing in mind, of course, that you are not a lawyer, your reply doesn't constitute legal advice, etc.)
That's what I was thinking too, but unaware what an FFL would think of that. I know that they do pistols, but unsure if they do revolvers.

That's what I was thinking too, but unaware what an FFL would think of that. I know that they do pistols, but unsure if they do revolvers.
Sounds like a conversation knowing persons could have with trusted FFLs in private.

Edit.
I guess I have one other thought. If said uncle were to loan the firearms to OP, they could hold onto them indefinitely. Then, the uncle could appropriately will them to OP, such that ownership legally transfers upon his passing, right?

Good morning,

I was informed by my wife’s uncle that he wants to turn over a few revolvers and pistols to me. These guns were originally my wife’s Grandfathers who is now deceased.

What is the proper way to do this given the fact that I don’t know the current status of these guns in any system ? I’m sure they were registered to her grandfather in MA at one point.
The guns are currently in upstate NY with here uncle.
I can almost guarantee that he did no paperwork for them up there and more than likely her grandfather didn’t either when he moved up there back in 1995.
My thought is that the serial numbers should at least show them to have been his and registered but again not sure what paperwork I need to do or my wife ?
Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide.

If they are old enough, they don't need a transfer. Something made in 1898 or earlier are antiques and not considered firearms by the feds or MA.

For some weird reason MA counts 1899 as antique too but since they're out of state, federal law would apply and you couldn't have them shipped direct. They'd have to be 1898 and earlier.

I did this with a Dan wesson pistol. Well I stripped it down to the bare frame. Removed barrel, cylinder and all internals parts (trigger, hand, hammer, springs etc)
I didn’t ask if he would have been fine with just the cylinder removed.
Obviously this is next to impossible to do (easily anyway) with other revolvers.

now, what i would do...drive to new york, pick them up, drive home. end of story! other opinions may vary.

eta: they'd have to be something good and worth the drive out.

This is what I have done in the past and will continue to do moving forward.

Legal? likely not.

Do I give a crap? Not at all.

That’s the thing I don’t what the status of the guns are in NY they just went up there around 1995

Back
Top Bottom