• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer rifle MA to NH

My brother is moving from MA to NY. He has a shotgun and a pistol. I live in NH. How do I legally posess them? I'm sure its done by transfer but I don't think I can go down there and take posession without an LTC. Can he just bring them up here? Do I even have to transfer? He's not selling them to me.

My brother is moving from MA to NY. He has a shotgun and a pistol. I live in NH. How do I legally posess them? I'm sure its done by transfer but I don't think I can go down there and take posession without an LTC. Can he just bring them up here? Do I even have to transfer? He's not selling them to me.
Interstate, so FFL-to-FFL.

-Edit-

Per below, I got this wrong. NH has no law barring bringing them into the state for transfer.

Last edited:
He brings the guns to a NH FFL, you meet him there, FFL transfers the guns from him to you. Done.

He brings the guns to a NH FFL, you meet him there, FFL transfers the guns from him to you. Done.
Did the exact same thign with my Dad when he moved to Florida from Maine, he stopped here (NH) on the way through and met me at FFL. Doing two guns at once, and one being a pistol and you'll probably get a "delay" when they do the call.

I've got a question similar to this. I'm looking to buy my father in-laws 10/22 off of him and he lives in NY. Would it be the same situation, he bring the rifle to a MA ffl and we are good to go?

Have him bring them up to an NH FFL, transfer them to you, done. Anyone can bring guns into NH. You have to transfer (per fed law) if you are taking full ownership and not "just borrowing" them.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a question similar to this. I'm looking to buy my father in-laws 10/22 off of him and he lives in NY. Would it be the same situation, he bring the rifle to a MA ffl and we are good to go?

He can't legally do that unless he has a nonres LTC, otherwise he'll be violating the law as soon as he drifts over the border. Easiest thing would be to have him ship it to an FFL here. (after clearing it with the inbounding dealer, of course).

-Mike

Did the exact same thign with my Dad when he moved to Florida from Maine, he stopped here (NH) on the way through and met me at FFL. Doing two guns at once, and one being a pistol and you'll probably get a "delay" when they do the call.

Not necessarily true in principle- although if you are doing a handgun in NH you might get an administrative delay because the NH NICS poc for handguns is slow because they only have a few people to do checks, so they put the BG check in a queue and call the shop back when its done. Sometimes the queue only lasts a half an hour or an hour sometimes it's three hours. A weekday mid-day is likely less hassle.

Anyone getting an admin delay in NH on a handgun transfer should not consider this, by "default" to be a "records taint" issue EG, a VAF UPIN will not make it go any faster, because the delay is caused by the POC itself not because of a hit on a records search. Some legislators in NH were trying to fix this (by switching NH back to the FBI NICS for handgun BG checks) but this likely got stalled due to the moonbat infection in the NH house right now.

-Mike

He can't legally do that unless he has a nonres LTC, otherwise he'll be violating the law as soon as he drifts over the border. Easiest thing would be to have him ship it to an FFL here. (after clearing it with the inbounding dealer, of course).

Doesn't MGL ch 140 sec 129C(h) cover him?

Section 129C. No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

-Mike

stupid question but FFL in NY to FFL to MA correct?

I don't know what NY requires (or not) for outbounding a long gun. He may be able to send it without involving an FFL on his end. I knew that before all this sandy hookmaster garbage, this was fine, but I'm not sure if the laws there ****ed that up or not. If an FFL in NY is willing to do it cheaply, it might save him some BS anyways. Some MA dealers will only take inbounds from another FFL, others will take inbounds from anyone (as long as they provide a photocopy/scan of their drivers license or some other kind of ID. )

-Mike

yeah I agree, check with the FFL first. Some are annoyed if two of you walk in and say one is from out of state and want to do the transfer....I think with FOPA it is not illegal, but I think it pushes some buttons for some MA FFLs

yeah I agree, check with the FFL first. Some are annoyed if two of you walk in and say one is from out of state and want to do the transfer....I think with FOPA it is not illegal, but I think it pushes some buttons for some MA FFLs

FOPA is for transportation through mass, not into it. You have to be legal at your source and destination.

Have him bring them up to an NH FFL, transfer them to you, done. Anyone can bring guns into NH. You have to transfer (per fed law) if you are taking full ownership and not "just borrowing" them.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

-Mike

Or meet him at the boarder and put the rifles / shotties in your vehicle and have him go to the FFL with you. I have personally done this with a NH to mass transfer........just check with the FFL first to see if they will accept that process. The shop I did this at said no problem as long as I walked in the store in possession of the rifle and my buddy from NH was present.

- - - Updated - - -

FOPA is for transportation through mass, not into it. You have to be legal at your source and destination.

Just call the FFL you plan to use first.......some will do it some won't. Mine has done this for me......but like someone else said.....don't just walk in a shop planning to do this......some shops will get a case of hearburn over it.......just call ahead.

Last edited:

-Mike

If one believes the EOPS Large Capacity Roster and GCAB, the 10/22 isn't automatically a large capacity rifle and therefore it is legal for any NR to bring it into MA for any reason.

Not according to Fed Law, only an FFL at receiving end is required. Many FFLs won't accept guns from non-FFLs as policy but it isn't law.

Back
Top Bottom